Naming Your Beats

plus3

Why do people do this?

I catalogue & release mine, by number (NH2 / NH10 / etc) because I feel it leaves the end user with a blank template from which to work, with no mental pictures or preconceptions based on whatever words I chose, influencing how they feel about the music or what to do with it.

For those who do, what are you reasons?

Love Gateway 4-12-2011

The Stickup 4-15-2011

etc....

I just listen to the beat and before i save it, then I think of the first title that pops into my mind.....

I just give it a name for whatever I felt at the time / think the beat sounds like. Sometimes I just give it a date if I don't care

I've sold beats because of the name. I named one beat "Pimp by blood" the name fit the mood of the beat so much the artist could make a song based of that subject. Sometimes the name of a beat doesn't necessarily mean much like I might name something "Get me". I just always liked names rather then beat 45 because they are easier to organize for me.

for categorizing purposes... I've started naming all my tracks after Female names..

The idea is from that movie "Gone in 60 seconds" (they named all the cars they had to steal after women) lol

it makes having to find the beat and referencing it with artists much easier..

ex. "yo, I really dig that Daisy beat... the Julliette one is dope too ... " etc etc

I'll go thru the alphabet one by one for each new beat.... and I'll never name it a name of someone I know, I just bookedmarked a baby-name site to pick a name. :)

Sometimes I'll put into brackets a title so it can sorta give the artist an idea for the 'feel' of the track I felt it has.

checkout the playlist ---> http://www.KenSinoMusic.com

Last edited:
usually my logic project files are by date. by the time i complete the beat it's named something random

not naming your beats is boring. i've never catalogued my beats. i'll name a beat after something random in my room if i have to. i have a text file in my cell phone of a bunch of cool words/phrases/wordplays that i come up with throughout the day, and i'll pull a title from there most of the time.

I usually name my beats after the initials of the person I sampled, part of the name of the song I sampled, or if I didn't sample I name it something I can right I chorus with. For example, if I sample Rick James, I will name the beat RJ Instrumental 1 or Mary Instrumental or if I don't sample I will name it life if I feel like it's a beat where I can right a song about life over.

I'll only categorize or give a coded name when it's a work-in-progress. So when I open it up again, I know what I was doing. Once it's done, like a lot of these ppl, I just throw whatever name on it - usually something on my mind that day or so.

^^Yeah when they are not done I name them skeleton 1,2,3 ect until I get a decent groove to know what I want to call it. Some times I don't name a beat until it is completely finished

hmmm I usually just name mine whatever. Used to number them, but I might try the girl's name things though

but really thats wat u wanna do...u wanna give an artist sumthin to go off of...we have a beat named ridiculous bananas & the song the artist made to it is called bananas...naming ur beats also will get artist to listen to them, if it sounds interesting to them they will listen to it...if i were an artist n u had 20 beats up..just named beat 1-20....i wouldnt listen to all of them...just my opinion tho

I name my ish off of the stuff that's sitting in front of me....its really a terrible system because I can barely remember what they are months later...so I have beats named like:
Samsung
Sanitize
Solution
Pencil
Disk
Magazine
Light

but really thats wat u wanna do...u wanna give an artist sumthin to go off of...we have a beat named ridiculous bananas & the song the artist made to it is called bananas...naming ur beats also will get artist to listen to them, if it sounds interesting to them they will listen to it...if i were an artist n u had 20 beats up..just named beat 1-20....i wouldnt listen to all of them...just my opinion tho

^^^ real talk

listen to this man

imma rapper, and when i see beats that say "stupid crazy retarded" ** instant hit, i end up listenen to all the beats that got crazy names lol,

especially if the producer beat page has a lot of songs.

Another thing is if they only have like 10 songs, and the first few ones hot, i listen to them all, then join the mailin list, and listen accordingly.

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

Also u can scroll through soundclick and copy a name of beats in the top ten :) or names of famous beats that are popular at the moment thats similar to yours.

That gets my attention too :)

I name my ish off of the stuff that's sitting in front of me....its really a terrible system because I can barely remember what they are months later...so I have beats named like:
Samsung
Sanitize
Solution
Pencil
Disk
Magazine
Light

I'm guilty of that too haha. On one hand, I wish i had named my beats in a catalogue format back in the day, but it's pretty pointless now that 10 years have gone by. On the plus side, even though I randomly name my beats, they really help when an artist refer's to the beat. IE: "hey, I need the files for your "Coffee" beat". It's alot easier for me to remember than "beat 48".

On a side note, I'd love to hear the original names of some big songs in the past/present. I'm pretty sure some of them are completely non-sense.

^^^ real talk

listen to this man

imma rapper, and when i see beats that say "stupid crazy retarded" ** instant hit, i end up listenen to all the beats that got crazy names lol,

especially if the producer beat page has a lot of songs.

Another thing is if they only have like 10 songs, and the first few ones hot, i listen to them all, then join the mailin list, and listen accordingly.

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

Also u can scroll through soundclick and copy a name of beats in the top ten :) or names of famous beats that are popular at the moment thats similar to yours.

That gets my attention too :)

glad u agree

Back