MPC2000xl or...?

im not sure if the 2000xl has built in fx's already, your gunna have to do some research. But if the 2000xl has the flash card reader upgraded you can import any wav sound, bass, strings, piano, ect...
2000XL doesn't have built in effects other than a resonant low-pass filter. There is an optional effects board, the EB16. My 2000Xl doesn't have it as I add effects in the box after tracking out to my DAW.

---------- Post added 01-22-2012 at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-21-2012 at 11:54 PM ----------

Thanks, what if I wanna make bass with my computer and import it to the MPC? And does an MPC have some effects, like EQ or something?
Are you going to mix your beats in your computer or outside the box? If you mix them with your daw, you don't have to import the bass to your MPC as the easy way of doing this would be midi syncing your MPC to your daw and finally recording the tracks from your MPC to the daw where your bass is.

But of course, you can always save it as 16bit 44.1 kHz wav and load it to your mpc. Maxed out 2000XL has 189.2 seconds of stereo sample time, so if you make a loop and add it to your sequences your good. Making a wav file the lenght of your final song will take some space and limit the amount of other samples.

You may find MPC Editor useful if you have Windows. You can build programs with it and load your samples to MPC a lot faster as you don't have to load and assign sound by sound.

If you buy a mpc1000, only buy the newer model. Avoid the blue and red one. It is known to have some problems. The new mpc1000 is technically better than the mpc2000xl. Though the mpc2000xl is the real beast and the best for the price range of $300-800. If it isn't upgraded or a limited edition then don't pay more than $520-600. I mentioned the blue one because it was the last made of the 2000xl's. Also I wouldn't recommend buying the mpc2000. The 5000 is the best of course because it is just like the roland mv8000, an all around studio minus the monitors. The 2000xl has a nice price and is more respected by people. You'll find out why. If not. Then figure it out for yourself along the way. If you have to pay more...then pay more to get it. You won't regret it later on. Also my post earlier about my boss digital recorder and a yamaha mixer, I had mixed up because I was tired. I am using only hardware. All I'm missing is a mixer. I don't want a dj mixer because i don't need it. Yamaha with digital effects is a better choice. I need to figure out what yamaha mixer i should get though. I'm looking at spending $100-289 on one and I already have effects by using my sp404sx so . I find the software route to be more difficult. The mpc won't take you too much time to learn. The effects you can add to it aren't as good as the sp404 or a yamaha mixer with effects. So I would just buy 8 outs for it when you're ready to get a mixer. The mpc is very easy to take apart and install upgraded memory and the 8 outs for recording. I use zip disks. You can change it to any format you want though. That is easy to instal/re-install too. Make sure you buy one that doesn't have lines in the screen. People usually won't tell you if there is a slight problem. Use mpcstuff.com or ebay for parts. Any other questions, hit me up. PM.

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

Is there a difference between a blue MPC2000xl and grey except for the color? :D
And why would I need that digital recorder when I can save beats in the MPC and export it in the PC? Can that recorder be used for mixing/mastering and burining straight on the cd?

You don't need a digital recorder if you are going to put the chops into a computer on ableton or whatever. Though that would require an external sound card (i don't know if you have one) for it to sound good. So either way you will be spending more money. I got my boss br900cd digital recorder for $150. It was used, but it was a steal. That does the mastering and does have a cd burner, it does more too. Use the computer though if you want. I'm just trying to say there is another option. There are other digital recorders too, like Tascam. But I would avoid them, just like Behringer. I really need a mixer to complete my studio though. It's killing me. I need help deciding on which one, because it takes me so long to make up my mind. The research pays off though! Whether I get advice or not. It's just good to get tips when you can and meet other like minded people along the way. Being an ******* doesn't really get you anywhere when networking is important and so is progressive thinking.

Last edited:
Just found someone who can sell me MPC2kxl. Haha, I think its like the only 2000xl in the country haha.
Im gonna import the sounds with off my computer so can ZIP disks do the job? How big the lenght of the sample can be? And what does it mean to have to have 32MB RAM. I can keep total of 32MB of files in my MPC but the rest of I need to keep on ZIP disks or something like that. And whats the thing with the flash card?
Appreciate the help guys :)

Last edited:
Maxed out 2000XL (32mb) has 189.2 seconds of stereo sample time and double that in mono. It means that you can load and use that 189.2 s of stereo sound at the same time. You save your sequences and programs on the disks and load them from there to the MPC's memory and the sound has to be loaded to the memory if you want to use it.

The flash card reader will enable the use of flash cards such as SD-cards and you will be able to save a lot more sounds on one card than with zip disks.. Here's an installation guide: http://home.tiscali.nl/~smeyer/mpc/
If your 2000XL doesn't have it, you can look for the right type of a reader online and save or get it from mpcstuff.com MPC 2000 XL MCD Card Reader Kit

Ive talked with the guy and the MPC doesn have 8 outs for the mixer and no ZIP drive. The price is 320$.Dont know if its got EB16 effects card in it.. Is it a good deal for that price?
Can floppy disks do the job so I dont have to buy a ZIP drive? And is it better to buy EB 16 effects card or first to buy 8 outs and a mixer which is much more expensive?

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

Do you need those 8 outs to connect the MPC to the digital recorder like that Boss Br900cd which someone mentioned?

Last edited:
Back