MPC2000xl or...?

Nasir33149

Ill start gettin some money next month and I have like 300$ now. I already said, I dont kinda like doing with software, sometimes its just boring and all the time Im watchin in the monitor, alwayst some problems, latency etc. -.- When I see someone making beats on an MPC2000xl it just makes me wanna go and make beats.
So do I need something like with a computer, a sound card or MPC has something built in? And how do people make bass on an MPC? Is it possible to play like notes? I think I saw a video on YT about that.

And the biggest problem is that I dont know where to buy it :( Music shop doesnt have it, and nobody is shipping on ebay in my country, and I mean NOBODY.

I would just like to have my MPC as the center of my studio and have that old school feel around me and if I lets say go on college in another city next year, I can just bring my MPC with me so I can have all in one but... :/

I don't like software much either. I recommend the blue Mpc2000xl ($400-600) or and Sp404sx ($449). Those are perfect pieces of hardware to crank out beats nonstop and you won't need a computer (for awhile at least). You'll need a digital recorder too since you won't be using a sound card. I use the Boss Br900cd. I've been looking at this Yamaha MG124CX 12 with effects to replace it though. I wanted to ask people here what they think about those two mixers and which ones they use. I don't know what country you live in so...I can't say for sure where to buy it. I bought mine from a local dj. Whenever I look for a new dj mixer or other equipment, I check craigslist and ask dj's playing at a local spot. So look for locals near you selling an mpc200xl, the new mpc1000 (all black), or an sp404 (doesn't have to be the new sx model). If you still can't get one...travel somewhere to get it. It would be worth it.

Last edited:
I don't like software much either. I recommend the blue Mpc2000xl ($400-600) or and Sp404sx ($449). Those are perfect pieces of hardware to crank out beats nonstop and you won't need a computer (for awhile at least). You'll need a digital recorder too since you won't be using a sound card. I use the Boss Br900cd. I've been looking at this Yamaha MG124CX 12 with effects to replace it though. I wanted to ask people here what they think about those two mixers and which ones they use. I don't know what country you live in so...I can't say for sure where to buy it. I bought mine from a local dj. Whenever I look for a new dj mixer or other equipment, I check craigslist and ask dj's playing at a local spot. So look for locals near you selling an mpc200xl, the new mpc1000 (all black), or an sp404 (doesn't have to be the new sx model). If you still can't get one...travel somewhere to get it. It would be worth it.

Is there a difference between a blue MPC2000xl and grey except for the color? :D
And why would I need that digital recorder when I can save beats in the MPC and export it in the PC? Can that recorder be used for mixing/mastering and burining straight on the cd?
And I live in Bosnia, probably never heard of it ;D I saw theres some people who live near :D

Are there some other nice recorders I can look into?
Thanks for the help :)

So you're pretty much set on the 2000XL? I'd at least get a newer MPC unless you make sure it's fully upgraded. I understand though I use my MPC most of the time with my PC as a sound module & I run into those same problems. You'll need an actual sound module, your computer, or a bass sample to do basslines. You can connect a midi controller, but if you have neither the first nor second all it'll rly do is play drum samples, cause even when you turn on 16 levels (even full level) it doesn't affect the keyboard at all.. I myself have a 1000. Besides the pads it kills the 2000XL!

Got a question, does every MPC2000xl have a flash card reader and can I put stuff from my computer to a flash card and straight into the MPC? :)

if you're gonna get an mpc get the 1000, or 2500. the ability to drag and drop files by utilizing your usb port is a tremendous time saver and really speeds up your workflow. and having the ability to direct record is really priceless. the older mpc's are cool too, but those require a whole lot of patience, which is hard to adjust to, after spending so much time on computers.

so to get off your computer and capture the mpc feel, get the 1000, or 2500.

if you're gonna get an mpc get the 1000, or 2500. the ability to drag and drop files by utilizing your usb port is a tremendous time saver and really speeds up your workflow. and having the ability to direct record is really priceless. the older mpc's are cool too, but those require a whole lot of patience, which is hard to adjust to, after spending so much time on computers.

so to get off your computer and capture the mpc feel, get the 1000, or 2500.
Those are way too expensive for me, Im 17 man! I can get a MPC2000xl on ebay for 500$. I guess its worth some patience.

Those are way too expensive for me, Im 17 man! I can get a MPC2000xl on ebay for 500$. I guess its worth some patience.
theres nothing wrong with the 2000xl, you can get a upgrade for the floppy disk which will make it a flash card reader. They sell them at Akai MPC Parts , Accessories , Faceplates and More at MPCstuff.com. They also sell new & used Mpc's with custom skins and upgrades pre installed. They ship worldwide.

AKAI MPC 2000 XL MCD Multi Card Reader Flash Drive Kit 2
MPC 2000 XL MCD Card Reader Kit

MPC's
Used Akai MPC's MPC Used at mpcstuff.com

theres nothing wrong with the 2000xl, you can get a upgrade for the floppy disk which will make it a flash card reader. They sell them at Akai MPC Parts , Accessories , Faceplates and More at MPCstuff.com. They also sell new & used Mpc's with custom skins and upgrades pre installed. They ship worldwide.

AKAI MPC 2000 XL MCD Multi Card Reader Flash Drive Kit 2
MPC 2000 XL MCD Card Reader Kit

MPC's
Used Akai MPC's MPC Used at mpcstuff.com

Thanks for the link man. Already knew for that site but didnt know they are selling MPCs and shipping worldwide. Thanks again. :)

Nigga I bought my 1000 when I was 17 just turnin 18 for like 525. & that was a year ago this time, so I KNOW you can get one for less if not around the same price..

You live in the USA. First, there are like 5 people selling MPC1000 in my country and they want like 1000$! Second, on ebay, nobody is shipping here and if they are, just shipping would cost 300$ -.- . And why did they make that flat screen on 1000? You gotta stand to see what youre doing?

You live in the USA. First, there are like 5 people selling MPC1000 in my country and they want like 1000$! Second, on ebay, nobody is shipping here and if they are, just shipping would cost 300$ -.- . And why did they make that flat screen on 1000? You gotta stand to see what youre doing?

Lol I ordered mine from GC in Cali or somewhere Idr. If you uh bich maybe you gotta lol. It was the first 'portable' MPC before the 500 that's why.

bratko,if u were buyin from poland mpc2000xl for like 300-450euro,then the shipping would cost like 400,LOL. DHL is retarded with these prices.

edit; lol sorry i belived i had the wright link and then checked the date and it was out of date.

and edit2:
Bosnia, serbia and few other countries are not loved by DHL and that kind of companies, so shipping there costs alooooooooooooooooooot. Even from Poland it costs few hundred $ for every 1kg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I need a souncard to connect my monitors with an MPC? Or it sounds just the same without the soundcard?

@Mdkw hahah yeah, but Imma get that MPC no matter what :D

Why? Is the sound quality better? And Im not talking about working with a computer, just for the MPC..
if your not working with a computer based setup then you dont need a sound card/audio interface. If you end up tracking out to the computer then yeah you will need to get one.

You can literally create all your beats with the MPC nothing else needed, Unless you want to hook up synths and other hardware. Also I believe you can connect your monitors directly to the stereo outs of the MPC.

Thanks, what if I wanna make bass with my computer and import it to the MPC? And does an MPC have some effects, like EQ or something?

The new MPC come with effects built in, on older MPCs, it requires an expansion. It is easy to get wav and other format sounds in the new MPCs as well.

Thanks, what if I wanna make bass with my computer and import it to the MPC? And does an MPC have some effects, like EQ or something?
im not sure if the 2000xl has built in fx's already, your gunna have to do some research. But if the 2000xl has the flash card reader upgraded you can import any wav sound, bass, strings, piano, ect...

Back