MPC 2000xl over fl studio?

I'm a MPC user and a FLstudio user.. When i use what comes down to my mood that day.. making a beat on the mpc is way more fun tho.. more giving, kinda.. but i find that the result i get in FLstudio usually sounds better lol..

i just need this thing to plug into my computer to load sounds onto it to then be loaded into my mpc currect? http://cgi.ebay.com/IOMEGA-ZIP-100-...C_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item4aa4466849
my mpc only takes 100mb

I believe that should work as long as you have a required connection on your compter. You could get an usb zip drive for $10-$20 on ebay too.. Have you thought of installing a compact flash card drive to the mpc instead? You could use sd & cf cards that way. http://home.tiscali.nl/~smeyer/mpc/

Oh and do try out the MPCEditor http://www.midicase.com/mpceditor/. I use it to make the drum programs when I'm making a beat. Makes things a lot faster if your drums are on your computer. MPCEditor is cheap and there's a free trial.

I believe that should work as long as you have a required connection on your compter. You could get an usb zip drive for $10-$20 on ebay too.. Have you thought of installing a compact flash card drive to the mpc instead? You could use sd & cf cards that way. http://home.tiscali.nl/~smeyer/mpc/

Oh and do try out the MPCEditor http://www.midicase.com/mpceditor/. I use it to make the drum programs when I'm making a beat. Makes things a lot faster if your drums are on your computer. MPCEditor is cheap and there's a free trial.

Hey man, appreciate the help...

I think I'm just gonna go with a USB zip drive for my comp, I'm deff gonna look into the mpc editor, looks interesting.

Btw I prolly should get the os version 1.44 for my xl too right? Considering my mpc has a zip drive? Also I'm lookin to hook up my mpc and my turntable (technics 1200) to my rokit monitors)...is it as simple as going turntable=>mixer=>mpc n then the mpc left rights (RCA, red/whites) to the rokit monitors?

the mpc a/d converters are crisp it seems to give a slight mid range boost that sticks out more but aside from that its colourless.

i think ull love the 2000xl the pads are fly and within two weeks u'll be wiz-ing around the machine.

i always wanted an mpc and got the 1k i enjoyed it but it was not what i thought cos my perceptions built it up in my mind then come to realize the os was shit and the pads did not feel good.

after getting jjos it was fine but i would still say after having this a year and a half its dope but is the least productive unit ive had but that is more my mindset and other things distracting me but the unit is solid much preferable to doing beats on the computer.

Btw I prolly should get the os version 1.44 for my xl too right? Considering my mpc has a zip drive? Also I'm lookin to hook up my mpc and my turntable (technics 1200) to my rokit monitors)...is it as simple as going turntable=>mixer=>mpc n then the mpc left rights (RCA, red/whites) to the rokit monitors?

You mean 1.14 os? That's the newest one for the 2000xl's without the mcd expansion (the card reader) as far as I know. The 1.20 is for 2000xl's with the card reader. You can dl it from http://www.akaipro.com/mpc2000xl if your mpc doesn't already have it installed.

You can hook up you monitors in various ways. Generally people are using a mixer or an audio interface between them and the monitors. You could also go from your mpc's out to one channel on your dj-mixer (I assume the mixer is a dj-mixer?). And from your mixer to your monitors.

Be sure to read the manual if you get one with your mpc. If not, I'm pretty sure you can find it online too.

You mean 1.14 os? That's the newest one for the 2000xl's without the mcd expansion (the card reader) as far as I know. The 1.20 is for 2000xl's with the card reader. You can dl it from http://www.akaipro.com/mpc2000xl if your mpc doesn't already have it installed.

You can hook up you monitors in various ways. Generally people are using a mixer or an audio interface between them and the monitors. You could also go from your mpc's out to one channel on your dj-mixer (I assume the mixer is a dj-mixer?). And from your mixer to your monitors.

Be sure to read the manual if you get one with your mpc. If not, I'm pretty sure you can find it online too.

Thanx man, I'll prolly have my turntable mixer go into the INS of the mpc n the mpc outs to the monitors cuz I wanna sample into the mpc from my turntable

i think im going to look into finding me a cheap 2000xl. i really wanna be more hands on with making music and if i dont really like it i can always sell it back on ebay

and that is what is my problem. i get too distracted with all the other things a computer can do and i dont work on my beats as much as i should

i haven't used fl-studio so i can't speak on that...but I have a 2000xl and I love it. fun, quick, easy to learn, nice work flow. i just think i'd like messing with the MPC over trying to work with the computer, it just wouldn't feel right. but like i said the MPC is all i've used so that's just my (bias) opinion.

Software has a lot of problems but yet its advantages outweigh its disadvantages. Like Flying Lotus said "I never have to update my gear, just my mind".

Hardware is the same way, and I personally prefer it. If I was you I'd get an mpc 2500, or look into an mv.

i used fl for about 7 months and just recently got an mpc 2000xl. I love the mpc, its much much more fun to make beats on the mp then it is on fl...just my opinion.

you didnt feel like it was a step back like alot of people say?

no, not at all cuz i have a technics 1200 and a qd5 mixer with a shyt load of vinyl...its an ideal setup for me. I deff like the hardware route better then software. Everyone has their own opinions about this topic but me personally i love my setup and the workflow that i get out of it.

if u have the maxed out ram and the 8 outs in the 2000xl and even possibly the eb-16 effects board, the mpc2000xl is a great piece of equipment. Pair the mpc with a turntable and a mixer, u pretty much have anything youll need to make nice sample based beats. u can eq your samples with your dj mixer (or in the mp if u have the effects board), filter basslines in the mpc, beef up drums in the mpc or your mixer, etc...

i love the mpc, its real dope!

when it comes down to it i make beats cuz i love doing it and its fun. So i want to use what makes beat making more enjoyable to me, n that is the mpc. Idc what ppl say about downgrading, and how its pointless to get one, i got one and love it, n thats mostly what i care about, having fun making music. The mpc makes making music a lot more enjoyable to me!

Last edited:
no, not at all cuz i have a technics 1200 and a qd5 mixer with a shyt load of vinyl...its an ideal setup for me. I deff like the hardware route better then software. Everyone has their own opinions about this topic but me personally i love my setup and the workflow that i get out of it.

if u have the maxed out ram and the 8 outs in the 2000xl and even possibly the eb-16 effects board, the mpc2000xl is a great piece of equipment. Pair the mpc with a turntable and a mixer, u pretty much have anything youll need to make nice sample based beats. u can eq your samples with your dj mixer (or in the mp if u have the effects board), filter basslines in the mpc, beef up drums in the mpc or your mixer, etc...

i love the mpc, its real dope!

when it comes down to it i make beats cuz i love doing it and its fun. So i want to use what makes beat making more enjoyable to me, n that is the mpc. Idc what ppl say about downgrading, and how its pointless to get one, i got one and love it, n thats mostly what i care about, having fun making music. The mpc makes making music a lot more enjoyable to me!

word. i aint got a mixer all i got is a turntable and an interface i use with my computer. could take the table straight to mpc cuz it got built in preamp. and i get kind of sketched about buying an mpc off ebay. where did you get yours

word. i aint got a mixer all i got is a turntable and an interface i use with my computer. could take the table straight to mpc cuz it got built in preamp. and i get kind of sketched about buying an mpc off ebay. where did you get yours

I'm in NY, I got mine from a dude in queens. I looked at it before I purchased it. I don't really blame u for not trusting eBay. It's a pretty expensive item to be buying without seeing it first.

I'm in NY, I got mine from a dude in queens. I looked at it before I purchased it. I don't really blame u for not trusting eBay. It's a pretty expensive item to be buying without seeing it first.

hell ya and for all i know i could be buying one from some cat that dont even know what or how to use it so wouldnt know if the thing is lackin somewhere. im out here in albuquerque, NM so we dont got much of a hip hop scene out here so its tough to find anything

hell ya and for all i know i could be buying one from some cat that dont even know what or how to use it so wouldnt know if the thing is lackin somewhere. im out here in albuquerque, NM so we dont got much of a hip hop scene out here so its tough to find anything

damn that sucks man. I'm fortunate enough to live in Albany, I'm in NYC on the weekends so I have a ton of good resources around. There's a lot of dope vinyl spots around herE as well. N the streets of ny are loaded with dollar bins, its nice.

damn that sucks man. I'm fortunate enough to live in Albany, I'm in NYC on the weekends so I have a ton of good resources around. There's a lot of dope vinyl spots around herE as well. N the streets of ny are loaded with dollar bins, its nice.

ya not too many record shops here but can find a few so it aint too bad. really only way for me to grab an mp is through the internet but like i said, hesitant

Back