MPC 2000 or SP-404?

Dj Frantic said:
What i think you mean is a SEQUENCER without midi is useless.
no i mean a sampler without midi out is useless. I don't need to sequence on either of them. I can do that on the computer but I need midi to communicate back and forth between my gear to get the job done.

Some gear does require a 2 way connection since it both sends and receives…an MPC falls into that category since it’s a sequencer (sends/receives), a controller (sends) and a sampler (receives). But the SP is just a sampler…it only receives, which is why it only has a MIDI input. That’s all you need to sync it to your computer.

The fact that the SP can’t be used as a controller (because of the lack of MIDI out) is a valid point, but it definitely doesn’t make it useless. Just means that, in a sequencing environment, it would have to be controlled by something else.

But comparing these 2 is ridiculous since they serve entirely different purposes. Like comparing a Harley to a canoe. Judge each one on its own merits (not on how they compare to each other) and you’ll see they’re both great products…as a matter of fact they complement each other. Which one you should choose depends on what you want/need to use it for.

metastatik said:
Some gear does require a 2 way connection since it both sends and receives…an MPC falls into that category since it’s a sequencer (sends/receives), a controller (sends) and a sampler (receives). But the SP is just a sampler…it only receives, which is why it only has a MIDI input. That’s all you need to sync it to your computer.

The fact that the SP can’t be used as a controller (because of the lack of MIDI out) is a valid point, but it definitely doesn’t make it useless. Just means that, in a sequencing environment, it would have to be controlled by something else.

But comparing these 2 is ridiculous since they serve entirely different purposes. Like comparing a Harley to a canoe. Judge each one on its own merits (not on how they compare to each other) and you’ll see they’re both great products…as a matter of fact they complement each other. Which one you should choose depends on what you want/need to use it for.
explain how an sp can still communicate with a computer or any other gear without some form of midi out. Thats what ultimately made me not get the sp404. I want to sequence everything into Ableton Live or my esq1. My esq can send information to the sp but the sp will never send the midi information to the esq to make it happen. Its limited to its own sequencer. If I am wrong please school me on how this would work. As far as I know there is no way.

Last edited:
Thats true. Me personally, I like to do everything on one unit. I cut up and rearrange samples.. thats what I do. I dont need anything but a sampler with an internal sequencer for that. The 404 gets the job done for me better than an MPC could. I usually take a 30 second sample and cop into about 24 parts. This takes me about 5 minutes per sample on the SP where it would take me about half an hour on the MPC. I dont dislike MPCs, I think they are solid machines. They have thier weakpoints but what doesnt. Its just crazy to me for some1 to say that SPs are "toys" and that they cant function in a profesional role. If you like your MPC...thats fine but dont diss some1 else's gear because you dont understand how they can make beats on it. And dont comment on gear that you know nothing about except the price tag (if even that) If some asks whats better an SP404 or an MPC2k dont chime in unless you well aware of the abilities of both machines.

VexaDJ said:
You've gotta use double-tempo for jungle/drum'n'bass music but I didn't know people in other genres did it. You learn something new every day!
i kno some hip hop producers that use double tempo to automatically get that "bounce"

Dj Frantic said:
Thats true. Me personally, I like to do everything on one unit. I cut up and rearrange samples.. thats what I do. I dont need anything but a sampler with an internal sequencer for that. The 404 gets the job done for me better than an MPC could. I usually take a 30 second sample and cop into about 24 parts. This takes me about 5 minutes per sample on the SP where it would take me about half an hour on the MPC. I dont dislike MPCs, I think they are solid machines. They have thier weakpoints but what doesnt. Its just crazy to me for some1 to say that SPs are "toys" and that they cant function in a profesional role. If you like your MPC...thats fine but dont diss some1 else's gear because you dont understand how they can make beats on it. And dont comment on gear that you know nothing about except the price tag (if even that) If some asks whats better an SP404 or an MPC2k dont chime in unless you well aware of the abilities of both machines.
I am not dissing the 404. A sampler is just vital for my way of working and it must be able to communicate with other gear. To me that is just something that every sampler should have especially today. I think other than that the sp404 is a good machine but that feature is serious to me. I am considering a 606 because I don't need the sequencer tracks. I really like the 606 except for the fact that I can't pitch samples inside of the machine itself.

Xabiton said:
explain how an sp can still communicate with a computer or any other gear without some form of midi out. Thats what ultimately made me not get the sp404. I want to sequence everything into Ableton Live or my esq1. My esq can send information to the sp but the sp will never send the midi information to the esq to make it happen. Its limited to its own sequencer. If I am wrong please school me on how this would work. As far as I know there is no way.

In a sequencing environment, the SP works the same way as a sound module would. You take an Out from your sequencer to the In on the SP. This lets you do 2 things:
  1. Sync the SP to the sequencer.
  2. Send MIDI info from the sequencer to the SP
Like I said before, the SP cannot be used as a controller, so you need to use another controller. So you take the Out from your controller to an In on the sequencer.

In Live, for example, you set up a MIDI track to send "MIDI To" the port you have the SP connected to. By default, the track is set up to receive "MIDI From" All Instruments on All Channels (that means any controller connected to any of your inputs on any channel). You arm the track and now your controller will be controlling the SP so you can play it and (by launching a MIDI clip) record that into the sequencer.

Exactly^, google sp-404 user manual and read the midi section, it's plain as day. Next time you're thinking about buying something you should look into it further, you might have been completely happy with a sp and saved a lot of money.

metastatik said:

In a sequencing environment, the SP works the same way as a sound module would. You take an Out from your sequencer to the In on the SP. This lets you do 2 things:
  1. Sync the SP to the sequencer.
  2. Send MIDI info from the sequencer to the SP
Like I said before, the SP cannot be used as a controller, so you need to use another controller. So you take the Out from your controller to an In on the sequencer.

In Live, for example, you set up a MIDI track to send "MIDI To" the port you have the SP connected to. By default, the track is set up to receive "MIDI From" All Instruments on All Channels (that means any controller connected to any of your inputs on any channel). You arm the track and now your controller will be controlling the SP so you can play it and (by launching a MIDI clip) record that into the sequencer.
for me that would kinda defeat the purpose of having the sp because it forces me to send all of my work to the sp itself or use a controller to control the sp. Again not a bad piece of gear just not for me.

DisoBAYish said:
Exactly^, google sp-404 user manual and read the midi section, it's plain as day. Next time you're thinking about buying something you should look into it further, you might have been completely happy with a sp and saved a lot of money.
actually i looked pretty deeply into it and stopped once I realised it didn't have midi out. I just assumed it did in the beginning. The way he is talking about making it work to me is a bad way of working. It forces me to use the sp sequencer or a midi controller to control the sp. That to me is just extra stuff to deal with and buy just to make the sp work the way it would if it had midi out in the first place.

Last edited:
The way he is talking about making it work to me is a bad way of working. It forces me to use the sp sequencer or a midi controller to control the sp.
I never said anything about using the SPs sequencer.
That to me is just extra stuff to deal with and buy just to make the sp work the way it would if it had midi out in the first place.
Buy? You just said you have an ESQ…that’s a controller. I believe I read you saying you have an MPD…that’s a controller. It doesn’t make much sense buying a sampler that has a controller when you already have multiple controllers. You can sit at one or two controllers and control every piece of MIDI equipment (including soft synth) you have. But whatever floats your boat….if you want each piece to have it’s own control section…that’s definitely your right.

metastatik said:

I never said anything about using the SPs sequencer.

Buy? You just said you have an ESQ…that’s a controller. I believe I read you saying you have an MPD…that’s a controller. It doesn’t make much sense buying a sampler that has a controller when you already have multiple controllers. You can sit at one or two controllers and control every piece of MIDI equipment (including soft synth) you have. But whatever floats your boat….if you want each piece to have it’s own control section…that’s definitely your right.
i dont have the mpd. I gave it to a friend. And I don't like the keys on the esq for programming drums. why find a work around to make a piece work the way it would had the company made it right in the first place. I want everything to control itself or atleast have the options to. I don't want to have to conform to the way the company wants me to use their gear. On top of that why add extra stuff to clog the workspace. My work area is plently clogged as it is.

Back