MPC 2000 or SP-404?

man.. the spo404 or mpc2000???? I dont know why we need 2 pages for this topic, its a no brainer...

M...
P....
C....

YAY!!!

SP-404 is where it's at, mpc's just a Linn 9000 with a new face, why pay so much to akai for a machine they didn't even design and basically haven't changed for years, if you want to make beats that style I suggest FL Studio. Now that you can buy midi controllers with akai pads, what does an mpc really offer?.

Last edited:
DisoBAYish said:
SP-404 is where it's at, mpc's just a Linn 9000 with a new face, why pay so much to akai for a machine they didn't even design and basically haven't changed for years, if you want to make beats that style I suggest FL Studio. Now that you can buy midi controllers with akai pads, what does an mpc really offer?.

Word, I'm a SP head myself and have used my buddies MPC 2000, overall its preference but when the functions are so simila and the price difference is so substantial go with the 404. :cheers:

BTW I love how most MPC owners who claim its the best ect. have never touched a 404, where you'll notice most 404 heads have owned or used an MPC at some point. Just thought I'd point that out

Last edited by a moderator:
That's becuse most people who use an Mpc can't make a fresh beat on a Sp sampler, but like you said most sp users have owned Mpc's and could kill a beat on either. It takes no skill at all to sequence in an mpc just hours invested in reading the manual, unless of course you make you beat with no quantization. All I can say is "Ya got caught tryin' ta copy the manuscript, man ya' slip ya' sloppy".

Last edited:
SP 404 - is a toy for people that dabble in DJ/sampling

MPC 2000 - is a professional Sequencer drum box

Well, i've been sampling and making beats seriously for 5 years and I sold my MPC and coped an SP404. I wasnt feeling the MPC. I didnt want a sequencer I wanted an instrument.

dthmn said:
.......<b>I have read that Madlib only uses an sp-303 and another sp.</b> ......
quote]

I thought I read that madlib only uses an sp-1200.
or at least I thought that's all he used for madvillainy.

Coolhouse Rex said:
SP 404 - is a toy for people that dabble in DJ/sampling

MPC 2000 - is a professional Sequencer drum box
J Dilla started out using a sp-303 and Madlib and MF Doom both use one to this day, you think they're amatuers. Learn about the Game first before you speak and sound ignorant, and when were your last album credits on a major release I'm sure all us amatuer Sp users would love that link.

Last edited:
DisoBAYish said:
J Dilla started out using a sp-303 and Madlib and MF Doom both use one to this day, you think they're amatuers. Learn about the Game first before you speak and sound ignorant, and when were your last album credits on a major release I'm sure all us amatuer Sp users would love that link.

But MPC has 'professional' written on it lol

There hasn't been an album released since DJ Shadow that was actually written on an MPC alone, but it's 'professional' and don't you forget it. No professionals use Pro Tools or anything like that, oh no - MPC all da way liek my boi etc etc:sing:

Centipede said:
dthmn said:
.......I have read that Madlib only uses an sp-303 and another sp. ......
quote]

I thought I read that madlib only uses an sp-1200.
or at least I thought that's all he used for madvillainy.

Wrong sherlock

" It all starts with the Boss SP-303 Dr. Sample, which Madlib uses to capture and chop all his distinctive loops before layering them for mixing on a 16-track Roland VS-1680 digital workstation. “They got all them effects on the 303,” he says, referring to a reverse effect he uses at the top of “Maingirl.” “It's just real simple — that's one of the main reasons I like that little thing. You sample the beat with the effect on it and then go to the next one."

Quote from the man himself

read the interview here

http://remixmag.com/artists/remix_phantom_menace/

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
DisoBAYish said:

LOL! Don't be so defensive. I had an SP 303. I thought it sucked. Yes I know who Madlib, J. Dilla,and MF Doom are, I highly doubt the SP 303 is Madlib's main sampler, Its probably something he just puts ideas down on. J Dilla graduated to the 3000, I'd be surprised if any of his national recordings were done on an SP 303. And MF Doom, I read that he records with a Best Buy mic, so I'm not trying to copy anything he is doing. I got know major credits, but thats my opinion on both. I'll say it again. The SP 404 is a toy compared to the MPC 2000. There is no contest. Take my advice, you'll thank me later, sell off your SP 404 and get a MP1000.

Why would I stop using a 303 and go back to an Mpc, I've already had a Mpc60II and that was way better than any 2k or 2kxl. Mpc's are fine I just personally think they are overated and overpriced, sp-303's have a much fuller sound and if it's the sequencer people have problem with just record and arrange on a multirack recoder. I wasn't tryin' to offend any mpc users, my bad.

Ignorance of (some) MPC heads is fnk incredible. Madlib says in his interview that the 303 is his main sampler and just because it's not an MPC they refuse to believe him??????????????

hahahaha:rolleyes:

The workflow of the 404 is way better than a dusty old, menu-laden, crappy-sounding 2000. Fat beats = SP all day.

the sp 404 is way to limited. the mpc 2000 is not the greatest either. but the mpc 2000XL is somthin you should look into if you want that mpc feel

many of the greatest instruments of history had no midi....

A musician who relies on midi is useless.... learn to play in time:cheers:

Maybe you sadly only know of one way to make music, but there are many different things to be done with any sampler. Maybe you should actually learn about the history of beatmaking from the Blue Scholars next time they do a show at the Showbox. When I lived in Seattle I never met one person as closed minded as you seem to be.

Last edited:
VexaDJ said:
many of the greatest instruments of history had no midi....

A musician who relies on midi is useless.... learn to play in time:cheers:
i rely on midi to sync my gear yes. ideally i would prefer to send midi data back and forth from the pc to my daw to my sampler and record to audio at the end. Btw I play drums I play in real time often and don't use quantize often at all. Midi isnt all time correction lol

Back