Most Underated Producer

you guys are so conservative!!!

Eminem, Eric B, Beatnuts,Dizee Rascal...

I mean, come on guys, you hip hop producer fans are so conservative. in this thread ..I love hip hop but I don't live it and breathe it so much that I consider J Dilla to be underrated...not well known in the mainstream, maybe, but not underrated...Same with most of the cats you brought up...

'9thwonder,manie fresh,suave house,alchemist,havoc,Hi-Tek,m.o.b.,organized noise,RZA & dj quik.'

How can anyone say with a straight face that Rza is underrated...Like every white record critic doesn't gush over his every release...

Look I aint hating, really I am not, but lets dig a little deeper into other genres or if not, let's look at those that don't ordinarily get any props at all...

Like Eminem...love or hate his productions and what he has become, who would have thought that he had that many original productions inside of him? Once DRE pulled away, he managed to hold the fort admirably...

For a true original, in his own sonic world, never seen since, Eric B...No one has ever produced quite like him...I can't believe he wasn't mentioned before...

And like Eminem, rappers that can produce...The Beatnuts...As producers these guys are seriously underrated...Their productions seriously are in a league of their own...got that old school Prince Paul feel, but without the silliness, darker with more soul..

Dizzee Rascal...Probably the best producer ever under 20, and an MC as well...grime may not be your thing, but you can't deny the talent on Boy in Da Corner....

Other great producers you may not know about: Rick Rock (hyphy), Stuart Price (les Rhythmes Digitales, Zoot Woman, Madonna), Tim Goldsworthy (DFA), Monolake, Armani XXXchange, Vitalic, Jamie Lidell (Super_Collider, and solo), Bill Laswell, Four tet, Jimmie Tamborello (Postal Service, Dntel, Figurine), Morgan Geist, Al Jourgensen, Jack Dangers (Meat Beat Manifesto)....okay, a little dance heavy, but track some of these guys down if you havent heard them...

I would love to see what happens when one of you hip hop guys samples like Monolake for example...

Thes One Beats Most Hands Down . I Aint Never Heard An Album With Every Song Being That Well Made !! Till I Heard Puts !

^agree with that, ive never heard a weak puts beat, i dont know about underated of all time but i feel Shawn J Period was & is quite underated also Jazzy Jeff he's made some great beats old & new & his recent stuff is heat!

Last edited by a moderator:
Adrianalex,

Am a grant you some courtesy cause you new, and I like your Eric B pick. But when we speak about underated, we aren't speaking about un heard of. Your list of cats, I ain't even heard of most of them dudes. I beleive this thread is catered towards dudes that quasi exist in the music world, but don't receive the props that they deserve, in otherwords, "Joe Music listener" doesn't give them a proper rating amongst certain other producers, thus the term under rated.

Now I'll say manny fresh, RZA, are kind of crazy. RZA is exactly where he belongs, nobody disses him, even if they don't like him. Manny Fresh if any thing I think he is overated, he isn't very versitile (for that mater neither is RZA. 9th is where he belongs right now I'll give you that, too. And Eminem, I don't care who he did beats for, if he wasn't as ill on the mic as he is, nobody would cop from him, and not cause it isn't mixed well or doesn't sound "original" (for lack of a better word), it just doesn't sound good. The beats for stan was his best, and it still wasn't very good, it just matched the mood of the song , and the song as a whole was dope. But Eminem is definitely over rated, his beats are trash. But don't write a song about cause you will get eaten alive in a battle. HA!!!

But Dilla, never really got the public props that he damn well deserved. If you ask any "big named producer" who there favorites are in the game, he is in everybodies top 5. But I had a person tell me straight to my face that Dilla was ahack after listening to a track and that Manny Fresh is better than him. The Latter, I'll give up to opinion (a dumb ass one at that ), but Dilla is whack? Come on, man. Comments like hat are attributed to the fact that his music was not heard on the radio or in the clubs as often, and when they were people just enjoyed the music and didn't care to find out who the producer was. Thus he truly is under rated.

Last edited:
Ima Go Ahead And Say Stoupe From JMT I Think Hes An Underated Producer He Has A Lot Of Fire And If U Follow JMT U'll Know What Im Talkin Bout

I've heard that a lot of the Eric B and Rakim tracks were laid down by Marley Marl. That true? Also, this guy probably wasn't mentioned cause he's pretty unkown, but Insight from Boston is pretty incredible in my book. He did production on his group's album, Electric - Life is a Struggle, and his own album, Blast Radius. He's got skills, on the boards and on the mic.

yes. kev brown is so slept on. so is my mans ant. complete reason for atmospheres popularity slug hasnt been tight for many a year in my opinion ant keeps them moving hes also responsible for almost all of rhyme sayers sh!t.

kid848 said:
lol...sure they are...

Storch and his 4-5 tight beats don't compare to Blaze's body of work...

Yeah ok??? 4-5 tight beats doesn't get you 70 MIllion dollars, a boat load of cars and a mansion in miami.

cbrewer said:
Yeah ok??? 4-5 tight beats doesn't get you 70 MIllion dollars, a boat load of cars and a mansion in miami.

No... Good marketing and business moves get's you that. Storch's name is way hotter than his tracks. Don't get me wrong he's talented but very overrated.

Oh and to dude who was saying Slug's stuff hasn't been tight for years? Why do you say that? He's one of the more talented lyricists out there. He has a good live show too.

carlos "6 july" braody! he produces beats for royce da 59, 99% of the stuff he puts out is str8 fire.

I like Storch but his average beat is just so so, most of his stuff is just OK. They can be well played and well produced tracks but they don't excite the ear that much.

Now when he drops a gem it will kill most other cuts around it but people are paying him to get a chance at being the one that gets his next gem.

the gza not vesitile? you know not what you speak of. i think when you are doing scores for movies that shows your versitility i.e. ghostdog, kill bill, ung bak. lets be real. he just does certain style beats for certain mc's because he knows their style and gryme.
please do not speak of a great that way.
thank you.

he indeed plays a great show but no he is not one of the better lyricists out there. i mean no disrespect to the man because ive met him on several different occasions and hes a cool dude but his intensity has fallen off hard. he used to be raw a$s hip hop now its just mediocre if you know slug then you would know his stuff now is nowhere compared to his old stuff. especially him on dynospectrum in my opinion thats him in his best. and there are mc's on rhymesayers that are way better than slug for example i self devine. the micranots are king plaing and simple but so slept on by most supposed "hip hop" heads again the dynospectrum is a perfect example of this.
of course this is all my own opinion which everyone is entitled too.

truehiphop said:
the gza not vesitile? you know not what you speak of. i think when you are doing scores for movies that shows your versitility i.e. ghostdog, kill bill, ung bak. lets be real. he just does certain style beats for certain mc's because he knows their style and gryme.
please do not speak of a great that way.
thank you.

he indeed plays a great show but no he is not one of the better lyricists out there. i mean no disrespect to the man because ive met him on several different occasions and hes a cool dude but his intensity has fallen off hard. he used to be raw a$s hip hop now its just mediocre if you know slug then you would know his stuff now is nowhere compared to his old stuff. especially him on dynospectrum in my opinion thats him in his best. and there are mc's on rhymesayers that are way better than slug for example i self devine. the micranots are king plaing and simple but so slept on by most supposed "hip hop" heads again the dynospectrum is a perfect example of this.
of course this is all my own opinion which everyone is entitled too.

Were you talking about Rza or Gza? Two different dudes...lol

As for the Slug thing. I'll have to dig more into his earlier stuff. I had someone turn me on to Atmosphere not too long ago. Se7ens Travels was the first I had heard from him. Even if he's past his peak he's still an excellent lyricist compared to most cats out there. I did get the chance to meet him at a show here. He's a real chill dude. He just hung out in the bar during the opening acts so people could talk with him.

k def has always had bangers, but he lived in marley's shadow....salaam remi has a claim at being a top 15 all time producer... from kurtis blow to the fugees to nas... not too many have been in as long as him and are still banging out classics... "nazareth savage" was one of the best beats i heard in 2004 and it got no love whatsoever.... "back by popular demand" is my favortite kurtis blow song of all time... it's different than the "Christmas rapping" and "aj scratch" type songs.. more street... true master and 4th decsiple never did too many beats on main wu member projects, but when they did, they did their things.... decks' "loving you" and GF's "fish" should have been singles... TM did a portion of cappadonna's debut which had some heat on it...4th desciple held killarmy down on their lps, but both guys remained overlooked.... as with mathematics...

Cameron Thomas said:
Were you talking about Rza or Gza? Two different dudes...lol

very true i realized i made that mistake after i was off the computer and didnt care enough to come back and correct myself until now. definately the rza who did the movie sh!t but also pretty much all the wu stuff too. does the gza even produce? i dont think so. maybe im wrong though.

I'd say Erick Sermon is way underated considering he's the one that largely popularlized sampling in the first place if I'm not mistaken.

Back