Maschine, so who's got one?

and just to clarify to some of the older posts on here (because the full release version of 1.5 is on its way very very soon)
1.5 does in clude the following.
1)new sample editing features such as ; truncate, normalize, fade in/out, dc offset,reverse, silence etc.
2) greatly increased slicing features including 32,16,8 slicing (WITH MOVABLE MARKERS)
3) sp1200 and mpc 60 emulation modes (these are real emulations of the circuitry and not just eq fx)
4) midi drag and drop (amazing in for use in DAWs)
5) mpc program import (this inclused the s and Z series samplers instruments!)
oh hell here is the official list (although actually there is more stuff than just this)
New and improved features:

* Performance page with eight assignable "Macro Controls" per Group
* Host Automation support
* Support for MIDI Continuous Controller and Pitchbend
* MPC program import (500/1000/2000(XL)/2500/3000/4000 models)
* "Consolidate Audio" copies all project-related files into one folder
* Enhanced slicing with editable markers and new "split" mode
* Destructive audio editing with trim, normalize, copy/paste, fade etc.
* New "Project default" preferences including project template
* New "vintage sound" MPC 60 and SP1200 emulation modes
* 16 Velocity Levels mode for controller
* New effect algorithm: Grain Stretch
* New "Add to Sample Map" function in browser
* New "Copy Sound without Note Events" option
* Adjustable polyphony limit per Sound
* "Direct Monitor" option in sampling mode
* MIDI export for patterns, including Drag and Drop to host
* Improved event editing via controller
* Improved waveform navigation via controller
* Various other enhancement

gotta say. I'm happy i went with maschine (I was trying to decided at the time between upgrading from my 2kxl to either an mv8800 or an mpc 5000) sometimes its hard to belive that paying less can actually get you more. wow. (love my mpc but now it sits for when i feel like going "old school" lol.)

Damn Obi you keep saying how tempting it is. Just give in to those temptations and join us on the dark side!!!

i must say i am impressed with it. i tried using reaper as a vst rack for maschine like Saint Joe did and it works pretty good.

yes you can

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

you can sequence in maschine and drag and drop the audio or midi file right onto reaper if you want.

Last edited:
See you sold me on it! I'm getting it for sure then as soon as I'm done building the studio. (Mainly some furnitire and I'm redoing the whole ceiling. Installing mineral wool all over it so its quite a task) Hopefully in a month or two!

Ikea. Pick a desktop, legs and they have a ton of accessories. I'm making my monitor stands out of hand painted cindet blocks. Looks nice so far. I'll post pictures in the post pictures thread when I'm done. Its just been hard trying to finish the studio when I have another one I work out of and have been swamped with work lately. Between finishing this guys album, Obiaudio.com's relaunch and work its been really hard to finish my personal studio.

Still. Lovin'. That. Maschine. Man the new sounds in the 1.5 update, are fantastic. I am less than impressed with any of the drum kits save for the vintage early 60's Abey Road kids. The 1.5 instruments are really nice! I find I am preferring those to the included instruments in Ableton Suite 8.

The stability thing with maschine was solved by junking XP and getting a macbook pro after the new refresh a few weeks ago. But yeah as you noted, shortly after I posted about the crashes I figures out that I was trying to import too many at one time. Did a few at a time and it worked, it was tedious and prevented me from loading all my drum samples, but eh no worries.

I am very new to production. I make short little videos and wanted to start making my own music to score them with. Other than some experience with Soundtrack Pro I was totally unfamiliar with the entire process. Three weeks ago I couldn't tell you what DAW stood for. I knew of Ableton, Logic, Cubase, etc, but had never touched them.

At first I was looking at an MPC 5000 or an MV 8800 because they had synth engines as well as drums. Then I read up on Maschine and bought one after checking out some of the clips on Youtube. For me Maschine made sense because it let me dip my fingers into several different aspects of music creation - sequencing, using a VST, sampling, using it as a sound module with a MIDI controller, using it as a control surface. It also let me get a basic understanding of working with a DAW. For about $700 (Maschine, MIDI controller, Reaper license) there's enough there to where I could spend the next few years doing nothing but educating myself.

One thing I actually learned is that an MPC may be a better fit for what I want to do with beat creation. I got to try out an MPC running JJOS and I decided to buy a used 2500, even though it's somewhat redundant to Maschine. But that's the kind of decision I couldn't even begin to understand a month ago. Now I know at least enough to begin to build a workflow for myself.

I gotta get one. Everyone that I hear with problems with maschine seem to be hardware junkies. I think when they understand the ease and benefits of the unit they won't be able to deny it. So there you have it. It's time to sell my MPC 4000.

Back