Marvin Gaye's Family wins lawsuit against Sony/Robin Thicke Over 'Blurred Lines' Song

Good to hear! Pharrell knew he was jacking (he's really good at the old styles thing).

I'm sorry but Robin Thicke don't get a pass for that sh_it in my book (judge me:p).

comment deleted I got it wrong

there was no win - only a settlement out of court - the judge dismissed the case after the settlement was reached

settlement details are sketchy, but do preclude the Gaye family from pursuing cases based on similar grounds in the future against Sony (seems they were looking for one last big payday out of their dad's music)

Last edited:
actually no precedent is set - the case was dismissed by the judge as the parties had reached an out of court settlement for an un-dislcosed sum and imposed a blanket ban on bringing any further suits for similar reasons: I have reached this conclusion after reading several different reports on the subject

so to say that they won is wrong - they got a truckload of money no doubt but no finding of infringement is recorded - the world is still safe for stylistic and genre pirates aka artists working within a specific style that they neither created or made popular

I think the suit is BS.

The song does not contain samples or any melodies exactly the same as Marvin's.

No more music can be made if it can't simply be INSPIRED by a previous work.

Last edited:
f you're gonna get inspired by another song, dont copy it!. Atleast try to make whole new track, influenced by the older one.

They never had a case.

Basically Sony said "here, take this check to not tie us up in court in the future over this".

It costs more to fight than it does to settle, in a lot of these cases.

The two songs just "felt" the same. You can't copyright a "groove" or a "feeling".

I never understood what all the huff was about....except the Gaye kids' feeling some kind of way about a white artist treading too close to their father's legacy.

The two songs just "felt" the same. You can't copyright a "groove" or a "feeling".

I never understood what all the huff was about....except the Gaye kids' feeling some kind of way about a white artist treading too close to their father's legacy.

Yeah I agree I think this comparison songs all too often tread into a debate about race and people equating it too robin elvising R&b or something. Theres no question he paid homage to the beat of course but I'm glad it didn't set precedent because I think most rap and r&b would cease to exist. I mean how many producers were eating off the Dre sound or the Kanye sound or now the zaytoven, drummaboy, lex Luger, mike will sound.

I also feel bad about the fact that SO many families are SO protective of the deceased's music. Yes please don't let his music get ran through like a whore. But my god these men were artists they needed and wanted to share there music but when they pass it gets locked up in some sterilized vault with Hendrixes music and The Beatles Music.

Yeah I agree I think this comparison songs all too often tread into a debate about race and people equating it too robin elvising R&b or something. Theres no question he paid homage to the beat of course but I'm glad it didn't set precedent because I think most rap and r&b would cease to exist. I mean how many producers were eating off the Dre sound or the Kanye sound or now the zaytoven, drummaboy, lex Luger, mike will sound.

I also feel bad about the fact that SO many families are SO protective of the deceased's music. Yes please don't let his music get ran through like a whore. But my god these men were artists they needed and wanted to share there music but when they pass it gets locked up in some sterilized vault with Hendrixes music and The Beatles Music.

And Robin Thicke's song actually introduced Marvin Gaye to an entirely new generation, who only know him as "that guy my (grand)mama listens to.

Good points. I heard there were discussions of an agreement before it got heated, and I think they should have settled back then.
I think the Thicke and Pharell camps underestimated the significance of the song and artist.
Got to give it up was one of those classic party dance songs that I use to hear all the time (as a kid wanting to go home) like Mr. Magic by Groover Washington.
Plus you're talking about Marvin mutha****in Gaye.
The whole situation just came off like disrespect ("i ain't giving Nona Gaye shit!, she better hope another matrix movie comes out)" given the racial undertones.
I actually think Marvin was the type of dude that would have done a song with Robin if he was alive on some real pimp shit.
Its a unique case, with lessons to be learned, that was all about a specific context.

Last edited:

Money, money, money. I think they just saw an opportunity to cash in big. I wish sony would've fought them tooth and nail in this case.

Money, money, money. I think they just saw an opportunity to cash in big. I wish sony would've fought them tooth and nail in this case.
And get more bad publicity from the target audience he wants to support him? Its a fine line, Robin's fans are adult black folks (late 20s-30s), he's not like JT who won over pop before he began his R&B thing.
As was said above, it was hush money right before award season. Now he can get his couple of awards and continue to build his name.

Last edited:
Back