Lookin to dive into some hardware

I think that's so funny that cats think tracking out is such a long process. like its soo much extra that has to be done lol.

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

There really isn't much staring at a screen when it comes to mpc's maybe when chopping but that's about it. that's not that long of a process if you know what your doing.

if you're doing the same sort of shit that you're doing on an MPC in your DAW then you won't be doing much mouse clicking if you have your MIDI controller set-up. when i work with my sp404 i have to chop everything by ear and i'm pretty fast at that now obviously. but chopping in software is much faster.

the reason i usually advise against hardware is that it's usually people looking at a hardware sequencer/sampler. they're looking to drop a lot of money on a product that does things that their DAW already has covered. it's just simple advice.

if somebody wants a piece of hardware, if they know the limitations of the unit and if they know why they want it then they usually aren't asking should they get the piece of hardware. they usually already know the answer.

The consensus around here is usuallly that software is easy and cheap, both of which are subjective. I do agree to an extent that going to hardware is spending on what can already be done, but the same can be said for going from hardware to software. Like it has been said, it is just two different methods that both work in their own way.

The consensus around here is usuallly that software is easy and cheap, both of which are subjective. I do agree to an extent that going to hardware is spending on what can already be done, but the same can be said for going from hardware to software. Like it has been said, it is just two different methods that both work in their own way.

Without a doubt either option will work however most of the time both options don't work for everyone. Some cats prefer hardware some cats prefer software. So really what you need to do is mess around with both and see what your more comfortable with. Key things to consider

• What option allows me to streamline the whole beat making Process? (make beats quicker)
  • Can I work with limitations? (you also must ask yourself can you work with limitless options?) Sometimes that is too overwhelming and takes away from your creativity.
  • Can I achieve the sound I am striving for?

people who think hardware has to be expensive are dumb the same way that people think software has to be easier are dumb. People often dont think about the cost of a worth while computer. i mean you can run your software on any pos computer but most of the guys who say they hate software production hate it kuz they have bullshit for external gear and blame the software. If your computer, midi controller, audio/midi interface, ect suck its not the software its you cheapin out on stuff. The better your external gear the better your software experience in soem cases they cost the same or hardware can be even cheaper

I agree. Software can be jus as expensive. You take cubase, etc and you can blow four to five hundred, then add your kontact, sampletank, or other sounds and you could be close to a grand. You can almost blow a grand just buying reason/record and a axiom pro.

I have owned pretty much every MPC and every Roland, Korg and Yamaha workstation. I will say that the "feel" of working on a keyboard or MPC is indeed a lot more fun. I for one used to HATE software. However, after buying Maschine, and learning Reason/Logic, I would say the "fun" aspect is the ONLY thing i miss about hardware. I can literally sit in Starbucks, make a complete song AND track the beat out into a DAW within 20-30 minutes. I'm sorry, but that is a HUGE advantage to not have to load sounds, load songs, run midi/audio cables, then have to track out 12-20 tracks to a DAW for 8 bars or in some cases the entire song. After a while, i forget about the whole mouse clicking thing, especially if im using the mousepad on my macbook, instead of a USB mouse. I am hoping that NI will create a lightweight keyboard controller that has the same interaction concept as Maschine, where you can load sounds, sequence, etc right from the keyboard, but the sounds will be on your computer! I know that idea has gotta be coming(And i don't mean the Neko/Meko)

I agree. Software can be jus as expensive. You take cubase, etc and you can blow four to five hundred, then add your kontact, sampletank, or other sounds and you could be close to a grand. You can almost blow a grand just buying reason/record and a axiom pro.
and cubase and reason/record are considered cheap. Now you could get reaper for less than $100 but its the sounds that will cost you more often than not. You don't even need an expensive controller but I recommend it. My point is that you could get an mpc 2000xl for under a G and be set. I can make beats on my EPS alone my EPS cost me $75. The most expensive piece of hardware I've ever owned was like $500 and that was my Roland XP 30 when I had it.

ya everyone here makes valid points. when everyone talks about how back in the day all the good hip hop was bein made on the mpc and sp 1200 but thats because that was the technology back then. computers hadnt really caught up yet like they have now. and the reason most of those cats still use hardware is cuz thats what they learned on and are comfortble with.

Software is cool but I can't spend a lot on programs To install on a pc
And not see any improvement in my set up .the pc doesn't change its appearance
And I never liked the feeling of not seeing what I spent hard earned money on

Back