Lookin to dive into some hardware

d-rock07

Been messin with fl studio for a minute but i been noticing that i dont feel that spark or creativity when using a computer to make music. Doesnt feel right so im looking for some opinions on what hardware i should look at. im thinking either an mpc or an asr 10

well what are you looking to gain from the move? Is it just the feel of working on hardware. I have an EPS classic which is the asr10 before the asr10 I love it. I also have an Mpc 2000 I love it also but I am using software because it makes a lot of things just easier. Plus trying to find floppies in todays day and age is a pita

ya pretty much just looking to work on music away from the computer. i also kinda been looking into the maschine to see whats good with that

machine does not work standalone. It more of a hybrid bringing the best of working on a computer and working on a piece of hardware. Take a look at youtube or even find some of the posts by Focused on FP. He knows Maschine very well

oh ya i know maschine aint standalone but you can do all you need to and not have to look at the computer which is what i was tryin to get away from. the only thing is its a little expensive and i could find an MPC on ebay for less than a maschine

It really depends on if your a sampler or a composer. If you use an MPC..... tracking out your song is a process. I'm sorry, I know this may offend alot of die hard hardware fans but.....get out of the stone age. It's drag and drop time. The Maschine is killing the MPC in 2010. Hell.....you can make beats with an Itouch now. I have spent many days and nights peering at little screens. I'm strictly midi drum pad/keyboard now. Totally mobile, upgradable, and cost efficient. I spent $3,000 on my TS88. I'm selling it for $750. It's a new mobile beatmaking era in the 2010. Again.....It's drag and drop time. The man makes the beats.....and he makes them with ease.

^thats about where i am at. I am not looking for machine personally I like and use Reason and am excited for version 5 but hardware while it is fun to use is simply not keeping up.

i could never go back to hardware. i always see newcomers saying "i want to be away from the computer". but tbh i find it more enjoyable staring at my laptop screen than at a tiny LCD.

10 years ago software sequencers were just really starting to get popular. 5 years ago they had surpassed what hardware sequencers were doing and today i don't even think it's a real issue which is better and more efficient. the only reason i keep the bit of hardware that i have is for sound processing, and even that can be a ****ing pain sometimes that i just end up doing most of it in the computer.

when you start off producing it's obviously going to be frustrating but i think a lot of people start off on software, get frustrated and then think that hardware is a better option. keep working with what you have. if you're using software now and you get an MPC you will be taking a step backwards.

buy a MIDI controller. much cheaper. staring at the tiny screen on the mpc ain't going to make you creative all of a sudden.

[a lot of people start off on software, get frustrated and then think that hardware is a better option. keep working with what you have. if you're using software now and you get an MPC you will be taking a step backwards.

buy a MIDI controller. much cheaper. staring at the tiny screen on the mpc ain't going to make you creative all of a sudden.[/QUOTE]

Church!

---------- Post added at 02:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

That's what is the difference from way back when to now. People got creative with the little bit they had and made alot. Now you can do it all with just one program and people make bleep bloop instead of boom bap. The MAIN reason being they want the PROGRAM to do it for them. The struggle is good. The practice is what makes you perfect. Take that FL, Reason/Record, Maschine.....and make it sing!!!!! I bought an expensive piece of hardware.....and my beats SUCKED! I practiced endlessly and learned the machine inside and out because I paid so f*@king much for it there was no way I was going to give up! This is the Microwave Era. People want instant gratification and have lost the Ways of Old.....lofl. Get with the program..... and get with your program.

---------- Post added at 02:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

Take that FL, Reason/Record, Maschine.....and make it sing!!!!!.[/QUOTE]

LOL, Sums up most important rule in producing music in that quote right there, but so much of us always overlook! Always think about how many classic hit singles Neptunes had using nothin' but a Triton! Better yet, how many 70's and 80's hits had just a piano.

Hardware still has its uses. I would still take an Access Virus over any of the soft synths out there, ignoring price that is.

But you can get a lot for your dollars with software. I'm about to purchase Komplete and Kore 2, a package that will keep me busy and interested for a LONG time with sound design power.

One thing people ignore about software though is the costs. Yeah you paid $xxx.xx for your software setup, most people don't figure in the cost of the computer, monitor, interface etc. A virus isn't really all that expensive when compared to a good quality computer setup with a high quality interface. You need monitors for both, but you could just plug the synth into a pair of monitors and go. My MBP setup cost about 4k by the time I got to purchasing Logic Express, I can do a lot of the same stuff on my Alesis Fusion that I paid $699 for brand new.

Use what works for you, spend your money wisely on gear that doesn't overlap in functions too much (unless functions are present but lacking) and you will find out that no matter which way you go, you can have a mammoth home studio for not a whole lot of money. Just some thoughts about the debate. It's a tool box, you put the tools in there and do the work.

haha this software versus hardware shit is getting old. I mean when somebody says "I am thinking of going hardware any suggestions?" you get people dont waste your time hardware is dead stay software or vice versa. We should have discussions on why people should eat speghetti with a fork versus a spoon. How about whats the easiest way to get to work a station wagon or a motorcycle? I feel if somebody wants suggestion on hardware I can give him opinons on what he might like, if he wants software I can do the same, because I have used both. But why the hell do i care if he's making his music on software or hardware? I'm not making his beats and he's not making beats for me either. I just hear so many times hardware is dead in 2010 its all software. You still use hardware if you use a computer and you still use hardware if you use a interface. You still use software if you use a keyboard workstation. I mean one is more hands on and the other is more compact but both get you to the same path of producing music. For both ways the OnLY thing that will matter about the sound quality is the AD/DA converter you are using and monitors. Let's get to making music and giving people advice and help no matter what their choice is and stop trying to put our views on their choices.

i could never go back to hardware. i always see newcomers saying "i want to be away from the computer". but tbh i find it more enjoyable staring at my laptop screen than at a tiny LCD.

10 years ago software sequencers were just really starting to get popular. 5 years ago they had surpassed what hardware sequencers were doing and today i don't even think it's a real issue which is better and more efficient. the only reason i keep the bit of hardware that i have is for sound processing, and even that can be a ****ing pain sometimes that i just end up doing most of it in the computer.

when you start off producing it's obviously going to be frustrating but i think a lot of people start off on software, get frustrated and then think that hardware is a better option. keep working with what you have. if you're using software now and you get an MPC you will be taking a step backwards.

buy a MIDI controller. much cheaper. staring at the tiny screen on the mpc ain't going to make you creative all of a sudden.
I will say one thing about that which is going hardware taught me a lot about production that i took for granted in software. I learned a lot about synth programming and sound design by using hardware. I do agree though in this day and age its ok to have a few pieces of hardware maybe but going all hardware is a no go for me

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

haha this software versus hardware shit is getting old. I mean when somebody says "I am thinking of going hardware any suggestions?" you get people dont waste your time hardware is dead stay software or vice versa. We should have discussions on why people should eat speghetti with a fork versus a spoon. How about whats the easiest way to get to work a station wagon or a motorcycle? I feel if somebody wants suggestion on hardware I can give him opinons on what he might like, if he wants software I can do the same, because I have used both. But why the hell do i care if he's making his music on software or hardware? I'm not making his beats and he's not making beats for me either. I just hear so many times hardware is dead in 2010 its all software. You still use hardware if you use a computer and you still use hardware if you use a interface. You still use software if you use a keyboard workstation. I mean one is more hands on and the other is more compact but both get you to the same path of producing music. For both ways the OnLY thing that will matter about the sound quality is the AD/DA converter you are using and monitors. Let's get to making music and giving people advice and help no matter what their choice is and stop trying to put our views on their choices.
youre right if u want to get overly literal about it. With the costs of all of the extras you need for hardware I still say go software. quality mixers, a quality interface, quality cables ect all cost money. software eliminates that need but i see your point. theyre all just tools.

My point is that due to the ease of software and lack of effort on the part of wannabe beatmakers there's tons of bleep bloop beatmaking going on. The wannabe beatmakers lack the patience and practice on whatever they use and think that something new, hardware/software will make them beat masters. I don't care if you use hardware or software.....poop goes plop.

Set goals and practice with what you have.

If you want hardware.....go to the local music store and play with the hardware.

If you want software.....try before you buy.

Anything that you can zone out on and use comfortably to make beats fluidly is what is best for you.

---------- Post added 06-14-2010 at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was 06-13-2010 at 11:49 PM ----------

Been messin with fl studio for a minute but i been noticing that i dont feel that spark or creativity when using a computer to make music. Doesnt feel right so im looking for some opinions on what hardware i should look at. im thinking either an mpc or an asr 10

To spark my interest I watch you tube beatmaking videos alot. Alot of times just listening to my favorite artists will spark a beat. I also like to download instrumentals and vibe to get a feeling. Soundclick is cool to listen to because you can narrow it down to the category of instrumental you prefer.

If you want to spend that cake.....

Workstations are great. The Roland joints have pads and keys!
For the ones that don't..... if you want pads.....buy a midi drum pad controller and connect it.

MPC's are great but really on YOU to supply the samples/sounds.
You can add a midi keyboard if you want to play your samples/sounds with keys.

MV's have sampled instruments that are preloaded.....much deeper learning curve compared to MPC's in my opinion.

Maschine.....I would like to have one myself. Everyone seems to rave about it that owns one.....I have not used it. The new update seems to have added some great new features.....more notably to many.....MPC60/SP1200 sound emulation.

In my humble opinion the ASR10 is as costly as these..... and offers less in terms of storage, memory, and capability compared to the aforementioned.

Though I don't give a damn if you use hardware or software as your primary way to make your music.....

If you had a midi keyboard/pad controller you may find software more appealing to work with.

(*Forrest Gump voice*)
And that's all I got to say about that.

I say use what you like. I still have a hardware setup and I enjoy it although sometimes it would be nice to have a nice little compact setup. I think I will always have a keyboard around though as I often just turn it on and play without being in a beat making mode. I do incorporate Cubase to track to, but other than that my sounds and sequencing is hardware. Having sequenced on both, I prefer the feel of hardware.

My eventual situation will probably be hybrid. A keyboard/workstation that can work alone, and use the sounds as VST's within a DAW with the keyboard acting as a controller. My motif xs almost makes that scenario real at this time, but not quite.

Software is way more expensive that when ya think about it.

Yamaha motif and mpc - circa 1300 to 1500 for mpc2000 and es6

Apple mac g5 and monitors-circa 1300 to 1500 that even before the software and yes u need to spend good money on a computer or else u won't be able to do shit ;you need a good processor and a lot of ram

I will admit;software sequencer opens upso many possibities.

Last edited by a moderator:
i do have a pad controller that i use with fl which is very nice its just the having to use a mouse to make all the edits and whatnot to the music that feels like a drag to me. i mean i use a computer all day at work and then to come home and make beats on a computer isnt very inspiring. plus the fact that a computer can do so many things i often find i get distracted from making beats and end up on the internet or listening to music and not practicing. i know thats my fault and its all on me but im just saying

Last edited:
Software is way more expensive that when ya think about it.

Yamaha motif and mpc - circa 1300 to 1500 for mpc2000 and es6

Apple mac g5 and monitors-circa 1300 to 1500 that even before the software and yes u need to spend good money on a computer or else u won't be able to do shit ;you need a good processor and a lot of ram

I will admit;software sequencer opens upso many possibities.
why spend so much on a mac? you can get an awesome pc for half of that.

thats what i hated was sittin on a pc all day. it was soooooooo boring. i had nexus hypersonic and so forth just was not inspired. clicking a mouse and having fl studio didnt inspire me. i did however, come up with some good beats but getting there was loooooooooong boring path. hardware is a long process also but much more fun getting there.

the right midi controller or combination of them can eliminate a lot of mousing. I also hate mousing. My bcf 2000 eliminates most of my mousing in Reason. The only time i touch the mouse it to add new modules. I can change sounds from this thign

Back