LOL at Mountain Dew Dropping Lil Wayne over Emmett Till Lyrics.... wtf

B

BIGMOZ

Let's completely disregard all of Wayne's other music, and take out the Emmett Till line in Karate Chop. Let's just look at the rest of his verse on the record.

He's talking about popping pain pills and ecstasy. He's ****ing every girl in town. He received a package of cocaine in the mail and is about push the product. His cousin went to jail for pushing cocaine and was released because he snitched on others.

That is just from Wayne...Future's shit is worse. So how is it that Mountain Dew is alright with all of these lyrics, concepts and self revelations; but they are shocked and disturbed by the Emmett Till line? It's the same exact shit with Reebok. Look at all the shit Ross is talking about, and they raced to sign the guy as a spokesman and representative of the company. He releases UAENO and they are outraged by the rape line? They're cool with all the other shit he talks about, but rape is over the line? WTF?!

Yeah its hypocritical, but this could have a positive effect on the rap game. If the big name rappers start to realize that they might lose money for rapping about the same old shit, they could be forced to actually talk about something that matters.

Because Emmett Till is a real person that was tortured and killed for whistling at a white woman while all the other shit is fictional bullsh..

I have tremendous respect for those who paved the way for the liberty and opportunities that African-Americans currently enjoy. As a business owner who employs several African-American employees and gives philanthropically to organizations that help youth to pursue their dreams my ultimate intention is to uplift rather than degrade our community.
Best,
Dwayne Michael Carter, Jr.
Lil Wayne

lil wayne really thinks he's not trying to degrade the black community? get real now. waynes music is negative.. jesus if the family took that horse shit letter as a an apology i feel sorry. he talked about himself the whole letter ..

Because Emmett Till is a real person that was tortured and killed for whistling at a white woman while all the other shit is fictional bullsh..

The woman that was raped in UAENO was fictional as well. That's a crock of shit if you believe it's alright to support an artist with such lyrics, so long as they don't reference real life people.

The woman that was raped in UAENO was fictional as well. That's a crock of shit if you believe it's alright to support an artist with such lyrics, so long as they don't reference real life people.

I never said I support him, I just said the reason they dropped him.

Its same with movies. The ones that are about historical events always get more heat than the fictional ones, because people that were involved will criticize n shit.

I disagree with that stupid azz policy tho, either these company's fuk wit an artist or they don't.

Companies dropped Tiger Woods for cheating on his wife. These same companies will be on to the next star until he/she messes up. They are fake. But that is the way of the world.

Rappers need not worry about these things.

If it wasn't for the beat stopping and that school girl giggle, I probably would've never paid attention to that line.

Companies dropped Tiger Woods for cheating on his wife. These same companies will be on to the next star until he/she messes up. They are fake. But that is the way of the world.

Rappers need not worry about these things.

Tiger's situation is completely different. He portrayed himself with a squeaky clean image, as an athlete, husband, and family man. When the sex stuff/cheating came out, I understand why he got dropped by all of his sponsors. The sponsors could claim that they were tricked by his fraudulent-clean image. With Lil Wayne, Mountain Dew is acting like the Emmett Till lyrics were out of line, whereas his other lyrics about killing, gangbanging, slanging dope are well suited to be representative of Mountain Dew's brand. Same thing with Reebok. Rick Ross has a ton of lyrics that should in no way be representative of Reebok. To drop him over the rape lyrics, but sponsor him with all of his other lyrics is outrageous.

Reebok and Mountain Dew aren't ran by the same people...

People (customers) of Mtn Dew and Reebok complained about Ross and Wayne. That's why they were let go. Not because of what they said. It's because of the response to what they said. That's how sponsorship works...It's just paid advertising...If your customer base doesn't like the advertisement, you stop advertising that way. Basic business.

Last edited:
I would assume that the line is drawn in response to backlash over a particular issue, for example a foreign KFC add featuring black actors is not at all offensive until it's viewed from an American perspective in which case KFC will issue an apology in response to the backlash without really understanding what the problem is (this is why they keep making the same mistakes over and over again) and their former parent company is no different, they are not in the business of selling morality they are in the business of selling soda that tastes like it was made by adding concentrated orange juice and corn syrup to sea water, they don't connect the dots they just hitch their wagon to what they see as a popular trend.

I guess it's a lot like Ronald Reagan trying to use Bruce Springsteen's song "Born in the U.S.A" without actually listening to or understanding what the song was actually about, they just wanted to co-opt something patriotic to use as nationalistic propaganda because it was popular....unfortunately a lot of average Americans also have a tendency to confuse nationalism with patriotism.

I don't believe that the company that makes my coffee really gives a shit if some child slave accidentally cuts off his little fingers in the dark with a machete, but they certainly care that I will not buy that shit if it's harvested by slaves and so the reality is this, if enough people partition a company and complain something will get done about it, and it could even be something quite irrational like that the color scheme or shape of the packaging is immoral and almost any company will react by changing that shit and issuing a public apology if it has the potential to affect their bottom line.

Yeah its hypocritical, but this could have a positive effect on the rap game. If the big name rappers start to realize that they might lose money for rapping about the same old shit, they could be forced to actually talk about something that matters.

When you talk about stuff that matters you lose endorsements even faster(Only thing I'm saying related to your post, the rest is general discussion).

There's politics behind all this. If he had 'murdered the puss like Nicole brown' or 'beat the pussy up like Rodney King/Tina Turner' he woulda got a pass because hip hop has referenced them in metaphors forever. Only time I remember Till referenced before was Kanye saying he looked like him after a car accident.

Till's family brought attention to it fans didn't give a damn. Mountain Dew took it upon themselves to have too much morality to align themselves with a guy who said that...despite everything else he's said. Same company(Pepsi)who once dropped Ludacris(who on the hip hop radar is pretty f**kin far from offensive lyrics), so why pick Wayne up in the 1st place?

This site sometimes reminds me how separated you can become from reality when you look too far into all this shyt. People getting dropped from endorsements isn't new. PR teams come up with political B.S. reasons because they don't wanna say "our company hasn't recently seen a boost in sales we can attach to the star in question, so we're gonna default on our contract on some made up B.S."

If you're making the company money and go on trial for rape or murder, you're not losing that endorsement until your actions show a spike in the company in question's sales.

These guys get dropped because they're no longer useful, no more, no less. We gonna really pretend Reebok or Pepsi has higher moral standards than the labels that publish the lyrics without questioning them as long as no Jews are referenced in a bad light? Actually, you've even been able to talk about Jews on records since Family Guy made it all "good humor".

Wake up.

Last edited:
When you talk about stuff that matters you lose endorsements even faster(Only thing I'm saying related to your post, the rest is general discussion).

There's politics behind all this. If he had 'murdered the puss like Nicole brown' or 'beat the pussy up like Rodney King/Tina Turner' he woulda got a pass because hip hop has referenced them in metaphors forever. Only time I remember Till referenced before was Kanye saying he looked like him after a car accident.

Till's family brought attention to it fans didn't give a damn. Mountain Dew took it upon themselves to have too much morality to align themselves with a guy who said that...despite everything else he's said. Same company(Pepsi)who once dropped Ludacris(who on the hip hop radar is pretty f**kin far from offensive lyrics), so why pick Wayne up in the 1st place?

This site sometimes reminds me how separated you can become from reality when you look too far into all this shyt. People getting dropped from endorsements isn't new. PR teams come up with political B.S. reasons because they don't wanna say "our company hasn't recently seen a boost in sales we can attach to the star in question, so we're gonna default on our contract on some made up B.S."

If you're making the company money and go on trial for rape or murder, you're not losing that endorsement until your actions show a spike in the company in question's sales.

These guys get dropped because they're no longer useful, no more, no less. We gonna really pretend Reebok or Pepsi has higher moral standards than the labels that publish the lyrics without questioning them as long as no Jews are referenced in a bad light? Actually, you've even been able to talk about Jews on records since Family Guy made it all "good humor".

Wake up.

This post pretty much hit it.

Mountain Dew took it upon themselves to have too much morality to align themselves with a guy who said that...despite everything else he's said. Same company(Pepsi)who once dropped Ludacris(who on the hip hop radar is pretty f**kin far from offensive lyrics), so why pick Wayne up in the 1st place?

That's my point. These guys just dip in and out and have no idea who the **** they're even hiring as spokespeople. There's no strategy. It's just a bunch of random decisions that don't incorporate anything learned from their history. Didn't you learn shit from Ludacris, dummy?!

And I'm talking about business, not ethics. But I will diss these organizations, when they "claim" their decision was about ethics and morality, because obviously it wasn't. If they gave a shit about ethics/morality, they would have never signed Wayne in the first place. The other thing is it's just as funny watching these rappers ***** when they get dropped in an instant by some fair weather business partner.

those companies are dumbasses to sponser them anyway. Did they not listen to any of their records. Or look at wayne's actual record...I like my rap street anyway, and I dont think its very street to be a spokesman for mountain dew imo.

those companies are dumbasses to sponser them anyway. Did they not listen to any of their records. Or look at wayne's actual record...I like my rap street anyway, and I dont think its very street to be a spokesman for mountain dew imo.

Has nothing to do with their music...At all...Wayne is a popular dude, he would bring a lot of money to Mtn Dew. That's why they picked him up. We should know by now it's not what you know, but who you know. Or better yet, who knows you. Millions of people check for Wayne. They see him drinking Mtn Dew, they might grab one next time they hit the store. Same reason every black person drinks Ciroc now. Popularity sells.

i don't get how these rappers are facing heat now when eminem was saying ****ed up shit way worst than this back in the day...

who brought the shit up? i bet if nobody brought anything up everything would of been ok, theres too many miserable hating ****s out there ruining everything for everybody..god.

Has nothing to do with their music...At all...Wayne is a popular dude, he would bring a lot of money to Mtn Dew. That's why they picked him up. We should know by now it's not what you know, but who you know. Or better yet, who knows you. Millions of people check for Wayne. They see him drinking Mtn Dew, they might grab one next time they hit the store. Same reason every black person drinks Ciroc now. Popularity sells.

A company shouldn't choose anyone as their spokesman, simply because of their popularity. The spokesman should be a good representative of the company's values as well as of the brand that they endorse. Remember how popular Roseanne Barr was in the 90s? Why didn't Nike sign her for an endorsement deal? She would have been the complete opposite of every value that Nike stood for.

Ciroc signs rappers because
1. Alcohol is already "edgy and dangerous" as a product.
2. Ciroc's target demographic is young males between 18-35.
3. Rappers are an excellent representation of both of these factors above.

Ciroc could have just as easily signed Jennifer Anniston if they wanted someone who's popular, but she's not a good representative of the demographic they're aiming for. Ultimately, MD was well aware of Lil Wayne's lyrics long before they signed him to an endorsement deal. Reebok was well aware of Ross's lyrics, long before they signed him to an endorsement deal. It's ridiculous that these companies suddenly act outraged by an "over the top" lyric, when these rappers were already talking about killing people, pushing cocaine, doing drugs, gangbanging, etc.

Back