Logic 9 vs Sonar 8.5 vs Cubase 5

My honest opinion from use of all 3....

Cubase...great GUI, Easy to pick up on composing music in it, not the best sound library(instruments or FX), but adding vstis fixes that, Great Multitracking.

Logic...Easiest to compose on, very short learning curve, all the effects/sounds you'll ever need(even though sounds are overprocessed), just seems to lack that "professionalism"(for lack of better wording) I look for in a DAW. Reminds me of Cool Edit pro. Weird because older vers. of Logic were nothing like that.

SONAR...Best of the 3 at multitrack recording, best instruments by far(but logic has better FX that cover everything you'll ever need), but the biggest headache of all 3 when it comes to composing.

Again, just my opinon.

Logic sounds are over processed which causes u to lower them
Down and leaves more head room which is a good thing I guess

My fav and most recommended is pro tools 8 xpand 2 is
A good rompler as well

^^^They have one that covers every situation very well. Cakewalk and Cubase have a plugh here and there that outshine similar ones in Logic, but Logic overall just has the more compeditive suite. If i started on Logic, i would never have any use for a 3rd party vst effect. but would probably own more 3rd party vst instruments, so it's a double edged sword.

And before people come with the "7 DVDs of instruments", quantity does not outweigh Quality.

I only have experience of logic but i'd just suggest if you do go that route to think about getting the studio suite rather than just pro as it gives you soundtrack pro which you can use for the audio editing. There's a simple short cut inside logic to open the audio in soundtrack. It's really nice i think. Just feels like another screenset really.

My honest opinion from use of all 3....

Cubase...great GUI, Easy to pick up on composing music in it, not the best sound library(instruments or FX), but adding vstis fixes that, Great Multitracking.

Logic...Easiest to compose on, very short learning curve, all the effects/sounds you'll ever need(even though sounds are overprocessed), just seems to lack that "professionalism"(for lack of better wording) I look for in a DAW. Reminds me of Cool Edit pro. Weird because older vers. of Logic were nothing like that.

SONAR...Best of the 3 at multitrack recording, best instruments by far(but logic has better FX that cover everything you'll ever need), but the biggest headache of all 3 when it comes to composing.

Again, just my opinon.

No real experience with Logic, but I do agree with your Cubase comments. I think Cubase is great for composing and midi. If they can get their VST's all the way tight it would be a knockout. Now that Yamaha owns Steinberg, they just need to add more Motif via Halion One or whatever and they have a definite win.

Cubase is great because I know how to use it. I don't want to step out of my comfort zone unless I have to. Would like to try Logics instruments. Have tried Sonar but I didn't feel at home with composing. Wasn't going to jump ship.
I would jump to Reaper if anything because it is cheap. Only reason to learn a new system.

runnin both on a mac pro. with bootcamp & windows 7

i have been a cakewalk user since, cakewalk 6. i just got into the mac pro world. i find it much more easier to overlap takes and use vocal and mastering presets, in sonar. than it is in logic. if they ever made sonar for apple. logic would be in trouble..

i have been a cakewalk user since, cakewalk 6. i just got into the mac pro world. i find it much more easier to overlap takes and use vocal and mastering presets, in sonar. than it is in logic. if they ever made sonar for apple. logic would be in trouble..

^Ture that, Sonar is the shit anyway you put it. I have never owned a mac, so I have ever used Logic. Sonar is very nice for mixing vocals, and mastering!

Sonar is a nice daw. I just got off Sonar for Record though. I don't see me ever going back to Sonar full time.

word...that's why i don't really like pro tools or logic...TOO MANY options...

I DON'T NEED MY D.A.W. BEING LIKE A RUBIK'S CUBE...I NEED MY D.A.W. TO BE LIKE A PAIR OF DICE

a pair of dice is more complex than I want my daw to be lol. id rather it just be a plastic red block. even my 1 year old understands that

id rather it just be a plastic red block

ok...TWO red blocks!

sf_0530_dice_400.jpg

:smokinFP:

Back