Logic 9 vs Sonar 8.5 vs Cubase 5

RobP:If one was starting out from scratch I would still recomend Sonar over Cubase - simply because the base package has a lot more potential stored in it in terms of the provided instruments.

Agreed! For anyone starting out IMO Sonar is best bang for features, HomeStudioXL on a low budget and Producer for those who can afford it. Occasionally Cakewalk will have a 50% off deal for HomeStudio users (recently Dec,09), particularly attractive for the upgrade path (Studio and onto Producer), that's a $100 saving ;-)

if you use a mac already i highly suggest getting logic. just makes sense.
I cant see how getting a daw thats being updated by a company thats more focused on selling phones, mp3 players and computers makes more sense than buying a daw that is created by a company that only does music programs and/or hardware. Besides that every Logic user I know says Logic is buggy as hell. I refuse to go Mac myself but if I did I would go Digital Performer or Pro Tools.

I believe a demo of logic came with my macbookpro when I purchased it...I didn't like it. It felt like GarageBand on steroids, I didn't care for Garageband much either. I tried using Cubase years ago and it was too complicated for me...Sonar flows naturally for me...I am learning PT now, but Sonar's workflow better prepared me for PT. I don't use the instruments in Sonar...I don't too much care for them...but the audio editing and mixing/mastering features in Sonar are second only to Pro Tools...more bang for the buck w/Sonar!

I think i may eventually go to Logic on my Macbook, but I primarily run Cubase on my PC mainly as a digital recorder. I still sequence through MPC. I have used versions of Ableton, Cubase, and Sonar,as well as Garageband, and Logic in the Apple store. I still prefer Cubase overall, even though it has its own quirks.

What do you mean by "You still sequence through your MPC"...you make your beats with your MPC and track them out to your software?

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

Heck, if it wasn't for my Digi Rack, I wouldn't even still be using my M3 and MPC...the only hardware I would need is a mic! LOL!!

Yes, I use my MPC to sequence and then track out my hardware to Cubase. I like to turn on my Motif and just play and practice so hardware will probably have some spot in my lab although I can see going down to 1 hardware board and the rest digital.

I have in the past used Cubase to sequence my hardware, but i am not there with going all digital. I like my hardware feel and sound, as well as being able to practice and play without even turning on the computer.

I still have my hardware, I gave up trying to find a method to syncing all of my hardware with the software years ago...I just use a metronome and record my tracks in Sonar or PT with audio. How do you sync all of yours, if you do?

Last edited:
I still have my hardware, I gave up trying to find a method to syncing all of my hardware with the software years ago...I just use a metronome and record my tracks in Sonar or PT with audio. How do you sync all of yours, if you do?

You can sync it all to the DAW through MIdi Clock or Midi Time Code. Currently I have it all synced to MPC, and then MPC synced to Cubase.

Nope...MIDI is the devil! Not messing with it anymore! I will go as far as MPC to M3 in and out with midi but that's it. I can't stomach it!

Just need to get over it and learn

The process is simple...but the system is too fragile. I spend too much time trying to ensure the correct patch is matched up only to get the GM standard sounds out of it. The syncing portion is a nightmare because I didn't purchase all of my gear from the same company, they all have unique ways of setting their crap up and by the way, they all have to be turned on in a certain order to communicate properly...dude, really, when I say I'm done with it, I'm done! I'm not new to this...I good with what I'm doing now! I'm moving away from hardware...midi will get dealt with by me only if it's through USB...that's it. :rofl:

So, you actually use the softsynths within Sonar? They frustrate me..I know it can't be that difficult to use. I just use FL or Reason and export my tracks into Sonar.

Yes It takes a long time to get the hang of, I stated out using sonar 7... so I'm leading as i go. I doing a lot of tracking, so I believe V-vocal puts sonar over the of the other two

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 PM ----------

So, you actually use the softsynths within Sonar? They frustrate me..I know it can't be that difficult to use. I just use FL or Reason and export my tracks into Sonar.

Sometimes I do the same thing export my tracks from fl into sonar

Yes It takes a long time to get the hang of, I stated out using sonar 7... so I'm leading as i go. I doing a lot of tracking, so I believe V-vocal puts sonar over the of the other two

Wow! I started using Cakewalk products when it was Pro Audio 9...I have had every version of Sonar...I tried the softsynths and just couldn't get the hang of them...they should be easy to use like Reason...anyhow...if I can't get it quickly...it just wasn't meant to be. I am picking up Pro Tools virtual instruments just fine...I am settled right now with Sonar 8.5 and PTLE 8.0.3...so I will not go learn other programs...I will learn my gear now.:banghead:

whats so difficult about using midi or vsts in Sonar. both handle very well

Back