Laptops?

only in the beta version for mac is fl compatible

why buy a macbook for anything other than the status symbol it represents? (let's see how many bite)

only in the beta version for mac is fl compatible

why buy a macbook for anything other than the status symbol it represents? (let's see how many bite)
thats somewhat the only reason i would want one. Say a windows laptop, what would you choose?

alienware, vaio, hp/compaq, asus, dell, they are all much of muchness: high end gaming laptop maybe but then you get some features you don't need....

I personally do not use a laptop for production or writing, do not even use one on the road, prefer to read my e-book or a real paper book when travelling by train or bus and to sleep if travelling by plane

Last edited:
Don't go mac, I bought an Vaio with equivalent specs to a macbook for 3/4 of the price, spent the difference on 8 additional Gb of RAM and a 500gb SSD.

I think if you already have a decent laptop get a desktop - which is what I should have done since I have a triple monitor setup and two usb hubs all plugged into my little laptop.

I have mixed and mastered professional albums with it and at max hit 70% cpu usage (i7). I'd like the power of a desktop so I can be a bit more reckless with my plugin choices, but then again, tracks that I've made off it while lying in a hammock at the cottage have been placed and whats more convenient than that?

I also prefer PC. Its more able to handle diversity and lots of threads from what I hav understood all my life being trained on them. BUt in recent years I don't know. Still, to date MACs cannot handle games.

I bought my HP envy ou the door for about 1000. Basically top of the line. Bewae new PCs don't have firewire ability, I checked hard. Maybe specialty Laptops will have firewire but your gonna have to pay. LAptops have noisy fans. Which you can gate out usually pretty good though but not always.

DEals2buy.com

I love my dell xps 8500 too. But deals that are real good come around in august sepmember. JUmp on the good ones,

I use a mid-class gaming laptop by Dell, and it suit my needs perfectly. It's the Dell inspiron 15R SE. I also use FL Studio.

Last edited:
Don't go mac, I bought an Vaio with equivalent specs to a macbook for 3/4 of the price, spent the difference on 8 additional Gb of RAM and a 500gb SSD.

I think if you already have a decent laptop get a desktop - which is what I should have done since I have a triple monitor setup and two usb hubs all plugged into my little laptop.

I have mixed and mastered professional albums with it and at max hit 70% cpu usage (i7). I'd like the power of a desktop so I can be a bit more reckless with my plugin choices, but then again, tracks that I've made off it while lying in a hammock at the cottage have been placed and whats more convenient than that?

What is a good desktop to use if i am on a budget?

look around for 2nd hand dell machines - they are easy to upgrade, are easy to find drivers and rock solid

I recently bought a dell t5400 quad core server machine to use as my 64 bit machine - it can take up to 128 gb of ram , I've loaded mine with 16gb (8 slots x 2gb per slot) - still fine tuning it (adding extra usb ports and a firewire card as well as tuning the os) but it will be an excellent

some of the refurbished machines ship with win 7 or win 8, expect to pay a little bit more for this but still cheaper than paying $100+ for a separate installation set

I had problems running my DAW on Dell Computers in previous set ups. I'm currently using a Toshiba without any issues so far. As far as I know, most people get Macs because of they're somewhat "virus proof," or at least they were. A producer could safely be online without worrying about certain security threats. A useful tool when using AOL and other instant chat features. Now that we're in the iPhone and facebooks error, laptops can take somewhat of a chat break. People are also taught to us Mac because its what they learned to produce with. And, having a Mac helps build credibility with some of the people we want to work with. The most ignorant of the crowd won't even work with us if we don't have a Mac.

In the past, laptops lacked the computing power to run full on studio sessions in an efficient way; except for Mac computers. I've experienced PC crashes in the middle of sessions which have caused kurupt files and missing information to kill my mood. In some cases this is still true, which is one of many reasons why Mac users love Universal Audio interfaces.

Truth be told, PC's can do the job.

so bandcoach. that's cool! How many gb of ram can be supported by your daw and used up accordingly? How many CPUs? WHat I mean is , is it really beneficial for you to have such a cool system?

And to a previous thred about MACs. I personally believe MACs ARE a virus.

Last edited:
daws can use all available ram so it is not an issue

the cpu is a much earlier quad core model but still more than powerful enough for the job required

Back