Landed my first placement opportunity

Isk2009

DamnSonWhere'dYaFindThis?
I don't have all the details, but it's a commercial placement for an upcoming online ad campaign for "a major athletic shoe brand".

Perhaps this is a little premature because I just got the news that I was selected last night, so the business details still must be ironed out, but the basic info is that the music licensing company that made the selection wants to add that particular beat to their catalog exclusively, and I need to sign off on that first.

As for how I got it, it was through Broadjam.com. Kinda been my go to destination for music licensing opportunities since I joined back during the summer. Made a lot of submissions and was rejected a lot also, so it feels good to finally reel one in.

Been dragging my feet on signing up with ASCAP b/c I didn't totally understand a part of the sign up directions, but I applied asap after I got the news. That's my only reservation moving forward b/c I'm wondering if that could hinder moving forward with the placement, but I don't expect it to.

According to the way you described, this sounds like they are pitching for the opportunity.
By adding you exclusively to their catalog , they are able to pitch your music for 50% of the profit.

Also by giving them exclusive rights, you can no longer shop that beat to anyone else.
It has to stay with them. for the time contracted. Make sure you really want to do this.

Most so-called opportunities on Broad jam are for people pitching music.
Rather than a direct type placement oppurtunity.

Lastly, You miss out on alot of money if you don't sign up to ASCAP, this should be taken care of first.

Last edited:
According to the way you described, this sounds like they are pitching for the opportunity.
By adding you exclusively to their catalog , they are able to pitch your music for 50% of the profit.

Also by giving them exclusive rights, you can no longer shop that beat to anyone else.
It has to stay with them. for the time contracted. Make sure you really want to do this.

Most so-called opportunities on Broad jam are for people pitching music.
Rather than a direct type placement oppurtunity.

Lastly, You miss out on alot of money if you don't sign up to ASCAP, this should be taken care of first.

Actually, you may be right about that, but honestly I'm fine with it. The payout just for the selection is still a lot bigger than anything I could've made off of soundclick. And I'm aware of the exclusive rights situation also, and while losing the beat does suck marginally, I'm fine with that too because like I was just getting at, I really couldn't do any better on my own at this juncture. That beat has been in my catalog for about 2 years now lol

And yes I'm aware of that, which is why I signed up immediately. I'm just waiting on the application to be processed which should be done in the next 2 weeks. The company has yet to give me any paperwork other than a questionnaire so I'm gonna try to hold off on signing anything for as long as I can, without becoming seemingly unresponsive.

Congratulations, did u enter via a website??

and also I wouldn't worry too much about losing beats I'm sure once you make a certain beat you can make something similar again lol.

Isk I know through your hard work and amazing music you'll reap great rewards
watch out for Isk ya'll
not jocking,just stating the truth
I hope to have amazing producers like this on my production team

good job...alot of ppl focus on Soundclick and not broadjam/pumpaudio,etc.

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Good job, Isk. Broadjam delivers. Had the pleasure of meeting Roy in person a couple times now. Good guy. Legit, imo.

What Kendall said is basically what it's about. Only thing I will add is this - Most libraries I have signed with through them have been non-exclusive. In fact, I've only signed one exclusive, and it was for a 30-second piece. So don't get freaked out that you sign the song away every time.

I agree that you should sign to a PRO like ASCAP or BMI, as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Isk! I think is just the beginning for U (don't count the chickens before they hatch). Good luck man!

if you do attain this opportunity ...you got to figure out how to use it has a stepping stone and how to best use it on your Resume/discography???

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Thanks for all the love you guys. Hopefully this is the start of a lot more things to come from me. Truth be told I feel like I've been underperforming compared to a lot of other FP'ers as far as progress goes, so I'll try to pick the pace up lol

and thanks for the Heads up Ian

Congratulations, did u enter via a website??

and also I wouldn't worry too much about losing beats I'm sure once you make a certain beat you can make something similar again lol.

Yessir, Broadjam.com. There's a whole legion of licensing websites out there so maybe you should take a look into it if you're curious about that route. And yeah you're right, I guess when it comes to me though I just don't like making beats that sound a lot like previous one's I've made lol. I'll probably end up doing it at some point though

if you do attain this opportunity ...you got to figure out how to use it has a stepping stone and how to best use it on your Resume/discography???

Yeah definitely, I have a few things in mind but nothing solid yet, but I do intend to try and find ways to step up off of this

BMI is free. ASCAP is not.

Also 50% of the split is common. From what I read in your post they will act as the publisher or co-publisher and give you 50%. Sometimes you also get bonuses, but tit depends on the opportunity.

When they send you over some paperwork to sign go over it carefully :)

Oh and hope it works out

BMI is free. ASCAP is not.

Also 50% of the split is common. From what I read in your post they will act as the publisher or co-publisher and give you 50%. Sometimes you also get bonuses, but tit depends on the opportunity.

When they send you over some paperwork to sign go over it carefully :)

Oh and hope it works out

If you're referring to ASCAP's registration fee, then correct it isn't free, but it's only a meager $35 so it was no big deal to me to pay

and you hit it on the head again, but I'm willing to surrender the publishing in this case. I feel like there's still more to be gained than lost in the situation

I definitely will be careful about looking over the paperwork when they send it though, thanks man

Congrats man, I'm working on getting my first placement. What do u think about pumpaudio.com and whats the differnce between ascap and bmi?

^ That's whats up man, keep at it. As for pump, I can't realistically have an opinion on how it is because, while they've accepted me, I only sent one Compilation CD into them back in April and it was rejected. I need to stop slacking and send another CD in. Honestly I'm not too fond of the whole CD submission thing but I have a feeling Pump will be promising when I finally get one accepted.

And ASCAP and BMI offer essentially the same service, but I just chose ASCAP based on seeing more negative things said on FP and elsewhere about BMI

Back