Korg PadKontrol vs. MPC 1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tristonian

I've been making beats for about a year now and 6months ago I switched from Fl Studio to reason. Reason is great an all but I'm not so much of a fan of "programming" my beats. My friend got an mpc500 yesterday and I had so much ****ing fun playing around on that thing. Since my mpd16 is no longer compatible with my computer (vista), should I sell some audio hardware and get an mpc1000 and use reason as more of a synth rack than a sampler or should I just get the korg padKontrol and try to automate Reason through midicontrollers to give me that live feeling.

I'm basically asking if the mpc1000's filters, timeshift, pitch funtions are worth the money and the effort or if I should just get more midi controllers.

i would just install windows XP. But if you get the MPC 1000 you will love it. It opens up a lot of doors.

alright well I went to guitar center and just messed around with some stuff and got some more info. I already knew that the mpc really wouldn't be able to do anything more technically than reason other than the timeshift function but the aesthetic feel of the mpc just inspires my inner dj premier.

It's now between the mpc 1000 (if i get it for $500), with reason as a synth module, my casio wk-1630 as another synth, and of course my mics to sample my own guitar/etc.

and

the akai mpk49 which is a 49 key keyboard with 9 pads with note repeat and swing like the real mpc. It also has a built in arpeggiator and a **** load of controls. What I would do with this is basically make reason into a virtual mpc. this will cost me like 400.

oh and going back to xp is not an option because my new laptop has 4 gigs of ram and that is only supported by vista 64 bit.

lvngdead said:
PadKontrol and Ableton Live.

dope combination right there...but I suggest a M-Audio Trigger Finger over the PadKontrol because the pads are much better, nevertheless, still a lethal combo.

Also, I don't know if you've tried this but you can set your mpd-16 up to run in XP SP2 by changing the driver compatability for it in Vista. Im not 100% sure it will work but ts worth a try.

MOF

I suggest the Trigger Finger too, just cause of the programmability of it. You can change everything and it has 16 banks. Have not tried the padkontrol, i would like to try that x/y pad for flams and rolls (who needs stiff azz note repeat), but i need more then 2 knobs when workin my modules. Mpd24 was cool, but i don't like not being able to program it completly, there's no editor for it, all you can do is download templates for it, boooooo.
LevLove

Last edited:
wow, i have owned all of the midi pad controllers and the best is padkontrol. it has the most responsive pads, better than even my mv and mpc 4k. easy to program and that x y pad is just plain retarded.

YANKEES2007 said:
wow, i have owned all of the midi pad controllers and the best is padkontrol. it has the most responsive pads, better than even my mv and mpc 4k. easy to program and that x y pad is just plain retarded.

yeah....

I dont see how ANYONE can say that the PK is weak, just because it is LIGHT....

Floyd Mayweather is LIGHT....but he is STILL UNDEFEATED...LOL
:cheers:

You see this is the reason why you can't trust a forum, people recommend the Trigger Finger, that pad controller that has ROUND SENSORS when you hit the edge it won't even be noticed, the padKontrol and MPD24 have square sensors. It's not even a thing of opinions, the padKontrol is *technically* superior to the Trigger Finger.

I've recommended the padkontrol for as long as I've owned it. A lot of the MPC fanboys go overboard and ****, recommending the MPK over the Axiom 49 when they're basically the same ****ing machine. The axiom 49 is gnagsta, don't sleep on that. The pads on the Axiom 49 are closer in feel to Padkontrol pads than they are to MPC's, but I don't think they got square sensors.

mpd24 also has round sensors.

These are not regular mpc pads other than the looks.
My old 2000 could trigger the edges, but the video I saw on youtube showed the mpd24 unresponsive at the edges.

All of these controllers are useful regardless of the shape of their sensors though.

The lights of all things kinda annoy me on the PK. If there was an option to turn them off I might buy it, and while the mpd24 looks the best (to me) it can't assign midi pressure cc's to the pads.
So I might just go with the Trigger finger, but I'm not sure yet.
All of these controllers also have their weaknesses too lol.

Last edited:
Yea, the KP is mad good tho, light but good, I had da mpd b4 and it wasn't nearly as good. But my KP is in da box now, lol tryn to sell it, but just haven't had the time to list it on ebay.

BigBrotherMotown said:
You CAN turn them off....:rolleyes:

How?
I based this on people saying they could not.
Can you turn them off completely so they don't even light up when you trigger, or only during playback?
I could not find anything in the user manual on the Korg website, other than turning off the "Illumination mode" where the PK will like up during sequence playback.

I guess it's no big deal either way really.

Last edited:
As far as I know you can't turn them off, the only way to do that is to hack the firmware, I believe I even saw some walkthroughs about that in the internet but it's really not recommend if you don't know what you're doing.
BTW with turning off the lights I mean the lights that come when you don't touch the padKontrol for 1min or so, that shyt is really annoying you can't look at your computer screen because the lights distract you from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back