Kid Cudi, "The money, cash, hoes thing needs deaded"

You guys are missing the point.
Its not that traditional hiphop is extinct, that isn't the argument. The point is that traditional hiphop is not relevant to the current pop culture consciousness. Are there still people breaking and graffiti-ing and all that? OF COURSE. But can you expect for the average joe to even be able to name 5 dope graf artists or dancers off the top of their heads? Get real.

Last edited:
Hip Hop DOES NOT = rap. And just because you don't have any venues that support hip hop around you (you should really venture out of that bubble because there are some really beautiful and positive people EVERYWHERE that are the culture) doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I don't go to heavy metal concerts and I would be a fool to say that heavy metal doesn't exist.

point me to one hip-hop song (with vocals) that isn't rap.

Last edited:
point me to one hip-hop song (with vocals) that isn't rap.

You are splitting hairs, his comment was directed at the the idea many seem to have that rap is the sole force behind hip hop when in reality it is one element. Yes that element has taken center stage for the last few years but hip hop does not rely on one element alone to remain a viable culture.

^that's not hip-hop, lacks the attitude. scratches do not make a song hip-hop.
Yeah it was a bit of a stretch, but "lacks the attitude"?
I was expecting something along the lines of "naah, not hiphop, thats just singing over a hiphop beat".
How exactly is hiphop an "attitude"?

^i just don't think some emotional ***** singing over a beat is hip-hop, i don't know how to describe the attitude i just know when i see it. hip-hop comes from the south bronx in the 70s where you needed to be strong to survive, either physically or mentally.

^i just don't think some emotional ***** singing over a beat is hip-hop, i don't know how to describe the attitude i just know when i see it. hip-hop comes from the south bronx in the 70s where you needed to be strong to survive, either physically or mentally.

You commented in the "40 years" thread that you had watched the video. I am of the impression that you heard KRS speaking but were not listening to what the man actually said.

So Kid n Play, for instance, is not hiphop?

i think you misinterpreted "stong to survive" to mean like being a bully and rough or something, not what i meant, i can't really put into words but yes kid n play are hip-hop.

So are you saying that Marvin Gaye a soul singer who sang about the plight of his community and who was in touch with the social issues of his time wouldn't fall under the culture of Hip Hop? Same with Isaac Hayes and many others who sang about the same thing?

I see that as slighting the culture and ideals to disregard their music as not being part of Hip Hop.

Do you consider funk music to be part of Hip Hop?

^you are absolutely misinterpeting what i said. (maybe i said it wrong.)

Not really arguing to be a dick so if I misunderstood you please correct me. I just feel that Hip Hop as a culture is so much more than just an attitude and swag. I have been a part of Hip Hop for going on 30 years now (yeah I am getting old) and feel I have a pretty strong grasp of what it is from a cultural perspective.

basically i just don't think that portishead song is hip-hop because it doesn't feel like hip-hop. i can FEEL if something is hip-hop.

basically i just don't think that portishead song is hip-hop because it doesn't feel like hip-hop. i can FEEL if something is hip-hop.

So you are the sole judge of what is and isn't hiphop? So someone who uses the exact same reasoning as you, and maintains that the Portishead song IS hiphop, is wrong?

Back