Judging a sound from laptop speakers or headphones

SixxiS

So I made a track and it's sounds okay, in headphones and on speakers but when I play it through my laptop speakers the hi hats, shakers (high freq elements) stand out more. So who's right. The laptop speakers or the headphones ?

I think this is a big problem that beginner producers like myself face and I don't really see the question answered alot on here.

Which do you go with ????

ignore the laptop speakers they are likely over-emphasise the high freqs.

this is not because they are biased that way but because they are unable to reproduce low freqs well.

as a result, it seems that the highs have been boosted when it is simply a case of poor reproduction of all freqs

trust the speakers rather than the headphones or the laptop speakers

What bandcoach said.

Headphones can be good for spotting those tiny little details, cracks and pops of a mix and other small things that listening from speakers tend to blend. But judging your entire track based on what you hear on headphones and (god forbid) laptop speakers, is just not right. You can get lucky this way and get a decent sounding mix but it's more of a gamble than anything else.

Last edited:
speakers on the laptop are the built-in ones (assumption but based on statements initially made a reasonable conclusion)

Most of the time, the 'Headphone' Speakers are correct; For, They do not 'Induce' the Sound, AS SO MUCH AS LAPTOP SPEAKERS.

I'd go for the Laptop Sound First, and, THEN, DOUBLE, AND, TRIPLE CHECK, ON THE 'HEADPHONE' SOUND.
Then make sure the 'Headphone' Sound, IS kinda, Interpolated, AND, Inbalanced.
So, when you go to the 'Matriarchial' System of the Sound, IT INTERCONNECTS TO VARIOUS SIDES OF THE BANNER, AND, FOR THIS, IT CAUSES IT TO BE COMPLETELY EMPLOYED, TO ALL THE RICHNESSES OF THE FULLNESSES OF THE SOUNDS.

Now, for this, and, OF THIS, OF THE 'PARENTAL ADVISORY,' OF THE SOUNDS THAT ARE BEING PLAYED.

Listen to the Song in 'MY' Signature, IT HAS 'ALL' THE RICHNESS, AND 'ALL,' THE FULLNESS, OF ALL THE SOUNDS THAT ARE BEING PLAYED IN THAT SONG.

That's one of the Reason that, The Combination of ALL "Three,' harmonic Scaled, The Natural, Melodic, AND, Something, Else, lol, Are, to be seen, and, to bewitst, into the Heart of the Matter.
For, Remembering what sound, and, THE MEMORIES YOU GET FROM THEM, are, of the Same sense's as ALL OUR COMMOLOGICAL SENSES, OF THE AWARENESSIES OF THE SOUND.

So, In short, GO FOR THE LAPTOP SOUND, AND, IF IT SOUNDS A LITTLE BIT TOO DULL, OR, A LITTLE BIT TOO, AND, 'DOO-' Crazy, Cause some Granulazing Features on the 'Embedded,' Sound, Into the Heart of the Matriarchial System.
But, MAKE SURE YOU ARE BELOW THE THRESHOLD LEVEL OF -12 DBFS, Make sure that is the case, that Causes a VERY, RICH, AND, VERY, 'LOW, DULLISH, KINDA SOUND,' WHICH ADDS TO THE ENVIRONMENTAL, INTRISICALLY, VALUED, RICHNESS, OF ALL YOUR SUBSEQUENT, 'Playing at the same time,' Kinda Sounds.

laptop are probably the worst out of all the 3 ways you mentioned to judge the way your music sounds... take how it sounds on your laptop speakers with a grain of salt..

I'd say you'd need to take it with a truckload of salt.

Trying to mix and monitor only on laptop speakers and headphones is like reading a book in a foreign language. You can read the letters/symbols, but you don't really have any idea what's going on.

Last edited:
Id say to trust the speakers as the laptop's speakers tend to boost the higher and lower frequencies...
However, try checking out some cheap studio monitors - anything will do!
Thanks

Back