Jay-Z is "a joke" - Sage Francis a truly great rapper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mainboi23SX said:
LOL@ when the backpackers say Murs sold out or your hear it on FP. or dismiss him because he is signed to the major label, they all do it.

LOL

I did some work for him a couple of month ago, so we got to know each other a bit...so last night we were at a bday dinner for this chick that works for him and he was there...and this chick he was with was str8 up hollywood..superficial as could be..lol...very backpacker-ish

not

I would not even have the conversation with him because anybody who really listens to music knows that Jay-Z is one of the best.

TheVariousArtist said:
LOL, ignorant.

Talent should not be measured by mainstream success.

My point exactly. A artist becomes popular sells a few records generates some money and Voila he's the best to ever do it, greatest rapper alive, yadda, yadda, yadda. If Sage Francis flipped and did all this tommorrow he would be placed on pedestal the same way.

Mainboi23SX said:
Gotcha, yeah I got random people on my AIM. Am always on that. There is only a hand few I can talk to music about and make sense.
like how u hit me lol i saw ur name like wtf is this lol

Project Girl said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sage_Francis

sf.jpg

btw, is the big fat albino Brother ALi? And which one is Sage?

i think Sage is the one that's second from the right. the shorter bearded one. those guys need to buy some new clothes and take showers. the one on the right is the only one that looks clean

DeeBlaze33 said:
never listened to sage francis's music, but i've heard about him, but that attitude is whack, regardless of who you are and how good and different you think your music is, don't worry about the next man who's doin his thing, just do you. if sage francis really talks all that shyt, it comes off as jealousy to me, that jay's got all the success in the world, and this guy's still practically a nobody.
For real... Im a major Hip Hop Head, and ive never listened to any of his s***.
Him, Aesop Rock, Brotha Lynch Hung, and pretty much any Horrorcore Rapper gets no play from me. I would rather bump Dem Franchize Boyz as much as I hate them, but at least there songs don't depress me horribly.

Jay-Z IMO has fallen off sooooo hard. "Reasonable Doubt" was a near classic, and his best LP. The rest have been from good to ok including Blueprint, but his most recent one was straight ass.

wan-tan-soup14 said:
btw, is the big fat albino Brother ALi? And which one is Sage?
lol, I think it is... He's chillin with his fellow Whiteboys.:monkey:

Last edited by a moderator:
PBoyProducer said:
but when it call comes down to it...its about the money...eff the culture

for example...Murs just got picked up for an by a major for his next project Murs for President...and even tho backpackers love him...he still is it it for the money and for the fame. I know this b/c the people who work with him told me

even with little brother..they were doing their thing indie..but they signed with a major

even the nerdiest, stereotypical backpacker would change with a chack on the table..so don't fool yourselves..lol

Seriously these "backpacker indie" artists eat also. Ask them for a feature and watch how many stacks they try to charge lol I know from experience. "Doing it for the love" doesn't apply when you have a house note to pay...Everyone gets paid its just the "real hip-hop" heads will try and get you to help them "on the strength" lol while they get the checks...

Anyways Sage Francis can write lyrics but his flow/mic presence can't hold a candle to Jay-Z....

backpackers who say anything that sells or anyone who moves units is a sellout are the worst...

I'd rather hear about real life and things that I see everyday then listening to someone tell me what's real hip-hop and rapping about science and how ill their wordplay is...

Peace

( I'm pretty sure Sage is the one with the beanie and facial hair)

To say anybody who likes Jigga is ignorant is an ignorant statement...

Music is music, it catches some peoples ears, and not others.

IMO, and my opinion is valid because I have a good portion of each's discography (I buy a lot of cd's) Sage Fancis is really different, and just because he is different does not make him good. His style does not catch my ears. That doesn't mean that if you like Sage you are stupid, you just have different ears then me.

Jay-Z is tight to me. Quotable after quotable, Jigga impresses....

SpeakWrite said:
I happen to be a Sage Francis fan, he is possibly one of my favorites of all time. I also happen to have a distaste for Jay-Z's music, however i feel that this guy is, for lack of a better work, ignorant. Just because it is "mainstream" doesn't mean it sucks and just because it's "underground" doesn't make it good. By the way Sage is signed to epitaph records, a punk label from the way back, and hardly underground at all. Tell him to go to his local corporate music store and look around in the S's. he'll find our buddy Sage has two albums in that section. Secondly, Jay-Z has skill, how the hell else did he make it big, i mean he did it before every "Crunkster" on the block got a record deal. Just because he raps about bling and ****, i mean speak on what you got, not what you ain't. He keeps it real, he just isn't my style ...

Thanks, SW. Good points. This is basically exactly how I feel, and just wondered if I'm the only one that finds my friend's attitude to be ****ed up.

I was actually getting ready to go see Sage Francis live right here in my town in a couple of weeks. I don't know his music but I like his attitude and politics so I thought I'd check him out. I doubt I will now - that's the sad part about my friend taking this kind of attitude. Maybe more of his fans have your attitude than my friend's - I hope so. Anyway, thanks for your post, I agree totally.

PG

jay z is commercial, sage francis is underground.
There is a loathing of commercial rappers by the underground scene.
That being said sage francis is possibly the worst rapper i have ever heard spit a bar in my life, he has a horribly delivery..... of even more horrible mangled attempts at multies with no point or direction.

ACakaOMALS said:
Music is music, it catches some peoples ears, and not others.

IMO, and my opinion is valid because I have a good portion of each's discography (I buy a lot of cd's) Sage Fancis is really different, and just because he is different does not make him good. His style does not catch my ears. That doesn't mean that if you like Sage you are stupid, you just have different ears then me...

Well said, AC. It seems so simple, doesn't it?

"LISTEN AND LET LISTEN"! :-)

PG

theproducers1 said:
My point exactly. A artist becomes popular sells a few records generates some money and Voila he's the best to ever do it, greatest rapper alive, yadda, yadda, yadda. If Sage Francis flipped and did all this tommorrow he would be placed on pedestal the same way.

Basically true - but commerical success definitely isn't the only reason Jay-Z is respected.

And commercial success isn't any reason NOT to respect an artist..

PG

Your friend is 100% right,

Listen, to Sole's "'3rd Person' released around 98. It's sad how the majority of members of this forum are MTV disciples, really sad.

Mangomixx369 said:
Your friend is 100% right,

All I can say is that I'm glad everybody doesn't have the attitude about music that you and my friend have.

PG

TheVariousArtist said:

I think it's sadder when people spend more time putting down other peoples' music than they do making or listening to it.

PG

Well, I can understand how people like Jay-z more than Sage Francis. That's their opinion.

What I don't like is all these idiots saying like "wtf who is this sage guy sounds like food hes nothin on jay-z how many records he sold jay-z is goat i wanna have his babies anyone who disagrees is wrong and not cool"

That's what's sad :cheers:

Aside from the fact that jay-z is a multi-millionaire...and Sage whatever is like uhh...who? That alone should prove the fact that someone likes jay-z's music, let alone willing to pay for it. If sage were as good as he says he is, why does he not live like jay z? (aside from the endless hustle)

I people didnt like jay-z, people wouldnt buy his music, meaning he wouldnt be as rich as he is..i dont think sage has half the problems jay-z has. Reguardless..ur friend is stupid. and thats pretty much the basis of it. Good music is an opinion, you cant judge people by their opinions...well u can but..its just not right sometimes...i guess thats not a good standard...hmm
ANYWAYS!!
ur friend is stupid
period
Holla at me
Young Tekk
Paradoxx Productions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back