It Takes At Least $500,000 To Break A New Artist

People often make the mistake of thinking that it takes thousands and thousands to start a legitimate music career.

It takes more knowledge than it does money. I know a few people who've spent tens of thousands on radio campaigns
when they could've just done some smart internet marketing and actually seen a return on their investment.

I think we should all at least agree there's a need for initial investments to make anything work. Consider how much it costs to start a franchise restaurant like Starbucks or McDonald's. You're seriously gonna tell me it takes less to break an artist to the world than it takes to build a couple restaurants no one outside the neighborhood they're in will care about?

I had a former manager when I was a cook want to get out of the restaurant industry and be a franchisee for 7-11...that alone took an initial payment of $80,000...and that didn't include how much rent, utilities, re-stocking, wages, marketing, etc were going to cost monthly...and she still didn't get the contract showing she and her husband had $80K in cash.

...and it's a 7-11. Everyone knows 7-11. You don't even want to know how much Outback makes you put up to be a proprietor. But, I'm supposed to care about Young PoopyPants and buy $35 tickets to his show in West Baltimore.

Back