It Takes At Least $500,000 To Break A New Artist

That seems based on an old model of doing things. However, the alternative is to do things online for cheaper or free, and get lost in the shuffle.

Just because you can throw a video up on YouTube in a do-it-yourself fashion, that doesn't mean you can get the media attention and professional packaging still associated with big labels.

If you have undeniable talent or a hit song, good for you, and I hope the right people see your YouTube video. But the vast majority of songs strewn about the internet don't have mass appeal, or any way of having it forced down people's throats enough to create mass appeal. So to rise above all that, you may need to throw a few dollars at your career. Ultimately, you get out what you put in, so yeah if you have $500,000 to spend on promotion, recording, and all that, you're probably gonna be ahead of a lot of people.

It depends on what you mean by "break". If you are talking about going mainstream... doing nation wide radio promotion and/or trying to "chart" an artist etc... then yea it can cost that much if not more. But like dude said, that's the old business model. It can still work today but you don't HAVE to spend that type of money to break an artist.

You can break an artist locally, or regionally and not have to spend nearly that type of money. Its actually more about how hard (or smart) are you willing to work than it is about how much money you are willing to spend. With the right network, connections and resources, you can spend even less than a quarter of that amount and blow an artist up locally or regionally if not nationally.

It doesn't take THAT much... It took bobby shmurda 500K to break his song? lol.. He prolly doesn't have 500 K in his bank account right now as we speak.... The people break the songs.. it's free... make a hit record and it'll take off..

It doesn't take THAT much... It took bobby shmurda 500K to break his song? lol.. He prolly doesn't have 500 K in his bank account right now as we speak.... The people break the songs.. it's free... make a hit record and it'll take off..

You must not have heard Bobby's videos complaining about how he was working long hours every day and his mom and him not seeing a single dollar. Someone was spending a ton of money on this mans travelling and bookings and made even more money not paying him for his work.

You must not have heard Bobby's videos complaining about how he was working long hours every day and his mom and him not seeing a single dollar. Someone was spending a ton of money on this mans travelling and bookings and made even more money not paying him for his work.

he complained around the same time he hit the late night show circuit.. the tonight show and shit like that.. you don't get paid for that.. and your performance has to be perfect so he prolly praciced long hours and wasn't feeling it.. it's mass-publicity but he may not see it that way...

Trust me, if it were that easy, there would be a billion people making hits right now. There's a lot more do it than just doing a hot beat/song. You still have to get the song exposed. That in and of itself is a process (a calculated one nonetheless). Very rarely do you hear a song "just happen" to take off because it was THAT good. If you are way in Miami, how does someone in Seattle hear your "hit song"? In other words basically you have to make the song spread. Once the momentum is established (the song is picking up steam) then the song can technically take on a life of its own and basically push itself. But to get to that point you need a hot song (yes), and you also need to push it (promote it!)

$500,000 isn't even that much money. People used to spend a million dollars just to make one music video. People being cheap out here.

Have you ever seen that video "Why Rappers Are Broke?" Made me feel like rappers are just ungrateful.

They get only a small chunck of 1 million dollars, spend it on overpriced clubs, cars, jewelry, clothes, big houses, then they go complain about not having any money left and its the "labels fault".

Have you ever seen that video "Why Rappers Are Broke?" Made me feel like rappers are just ungrateful.

They get only a small chunck of 1 million dollars, spend it on overpriced clubs, cars, jewelry, clothes, big houses, then they go complain about not having any money left and its the "labels fault".

spending money to uphold a image

its takes money when you want to force an artist into the scene..but when you are original and an artist with substance, word of mouth will be on your side.

Last edited:
Keep believing that these songs are breaking because
they go viral and the people are breaking them lol.

That shit is all calculated.

The new things for labels is to package and sell the "indie"
to you so you think he's coming from the ground up.

For every so called indie act that is "blowing up", believe
me when i tell you there is someone funding them.

Keep believing that these songs are breaking because
they go viral and the people are breaking them lol.

That shit is all calculated.

The new things for labels is to package and sell the "indie"
to you so you think he's coming from the ground up.

For every so called indie act that is "blowing up", believe
me when i tell you there is someone funding them.

do you not pay attention to what is going on around you lol..
some signed artists.. yea .. shit is calculated..

the way it goes . rappers make a hit song,... labels see the potential of the hit.. how to capitalize and market the artist and then sign them.. they have no part in the initial hit for an indie artist..

wiz khalifa was on an indie label .. made black and yellow.. became a hit then signed with atlantic.. he wasn't on a label before that..

bobby shmurda made hot nigga.. blew up on vine with his disappearing hat and his dance... labels SAW IT WAS A HIT. then they signed him..

trinidad james.. same thing.. he got DROPPED FROM HIS LABEL after time..
you really need to pay attention to the music industry and what is going on bro lol.

but i will say this. sonmetimes.. labels do pay artists who are perceived as indie.. but are lowkey signed.. like i had a meeting with an a&r and he told me casey veggies was signed to them.. i never knew that.. but it's rare

To the both of you above

Its not only the music industry. Film studios does this to. Even video game publishers. They are smart, as soon as they saw the attention was on indie games, they soon funded smaller studios, to capitalize on the indie market.

Watch out for these Majors, they are gonna infiltrate the indies, believe me they will find a way!

bobby shmurda made hot nigga.. blew up on vine with his disappearing hat and his dance... labels SAW IT WAS A HIT. then they signed him..

So, you mean to tell me Bobby had enough paper in his pocket to afford that beat off Jahlil and get them millions of views on his own basic Youtube account?

So, you mean to tell me Bobby had enough paper in his pocket to afford that beat off Jahlil and get them millions of views on his own basic Youtube account?

do ya research... jahlil put the beat on one of his crack juice beat tapes.. and bobby got it off there.. does bobby shmurda look rich in the hot nigga video or does he look like a regular dude you'd run into on the street?

do ya research... jahlil put the beat on one of his crack juice beat tapes.. and bobby got it off there.. does bobby shmurda look rich in the hot nigga video or does he look like a regular dude you'd run into on the street?

That's my point - someone funded his rise.

To the both of you above

Its not only the music industry. Film studios does this to. Even video game publishers. They are smart, as soon as they saw the attention was on indie games, they soon funded smaller studios, to capitalize on the indie market.

Watch out for these Majors, they are gonna infiltrate the indies, believe me they will find a way!

There are quite a few mouths to feed when you are that high up in the good ole boy club. That's what gives me the opinion that they are too inefficient to move boundaries the way flexible indie institutions do. There is a place in the market for both and neither can deal a deathblow to the other.

Back