It actually takes TALENT to make a westcoast beat.............

who cares what takes more skill to do? At the end of the day who is buying westcoast beats these days? Trap is what is popular I actually feel like an idiot because I cannot make a trap beat for the life of me. At least not a good one and I have been making beats for almost 10 years lol

What gives you a hard time...melodies or drums? Just curious I'm on my 11th yr in. I had the hardest time getting it down. 2010 I finally got it from just being immersed in it to no escape and playing student. Before that I had more of a hard east coast/west coast type of sound. Swinging drums, chords, and almost everything loose. It was like a 180. Takes me back to formulas...how its arranged..and what sounds. You gotta bite to a certain extent or else there wouldn't be a west coast, east coast, trap sound.

I live for the fonk. That stankin ass stuff. Unfinished, unmixed, un alot of stuff. But still fonky. Got to fix the pitch of the bass a little and change a few things.

Taking it down as soon as I finished setting up the battles.

Last edited:
All this is dumb. Any real producer can easily do any of this shyt. Irony is, alot of "real producers" have a harder time making the minimalist things because they relate more to a lifestyle or feel than concepts that can just be grasped by anyone and replayed.

All this is dumb. Any real producer can easily do any of this shyt. Irony is, alot of "real producers" have a harder time making the minimalist things because they relate more to a lifestyle or feel than concepts that can just be grasped by anyone and replayed.

wrong.

I know alot of "real producers" that cant make west coast beats

anybody can make a trap beat.........anybody

what all can you make deranged??

Last edited:
Westcoast making a comeback. People miss souls actually singing instead of auto tuned.

serena.gif

I am one of them.
What gives you a hard time...melodies or drums? Just curious I'm on my 11th yr in. I had the hardest time getting it down. 2010 I finally got it from just being immersed in it to no escape and playing student. Before that I had more of a hard east coast/west coast type of sound. Swinging drums, chords, and almost everything loose. It was like a 180. Takes me back to formulas...how its arranged..and what sounds. You gotta bite to a certain extent or else there wouldn't be a west coast, east coast, trap sound.
The drums mainly and getting it to feel right. I am just not that great at biting. I do what comes natural which is usually eastcoast or sometimes west coast sometimes orchestral jazzy kinda r&b stuff. Neo soul stuff sometimes but that is where i struggle a little bit too its all the feel to me. That and I just make some weird ass feeling beats at times.

I can make both.

In reference to it taking "talent" to make west coast beats...it takes talent to make a GOOD west coast beat. The same way it takes talent to make a good trap beat...or any other genre for that matter.

I've heard a bunch of suck ass west coast beats. Anyone else remember soundclick back in the in that 2000-2004 era?

I can make both.

In reference to it taking "talent" to make west coast beats...it takes talent to make a GOOD west coast beat. The same way it takes talent to make a good trap beat...or any other genre for that matter.

I've heard a bunch of suck ass west coast beats. Anyone else remember soundclick back in the in that 2000-2004 era?

I remember that...I always heard beats up there with lifeless drums, or trying to make the simplistic piano melodies...Good arrangements bad sounds. Well far as west coast. Epik was one of the few I still remember that was actually good and is still around. I liked it better then cuz you could just go thru beats and hear something completely different. I think I was on the phatspot/onsmash around that time.

Last edited:
wrong.

I know alot of "real producers" that cant make west coast beats

anybody can make a trap beat.........anybody

what all can you make deranged??
You don't know any "real producers" who can't make anything. I can make ANYTHING down to country, pop, rock n roll, techno... and I'm an engineer before anything. I'm from the south, grew up on east coast hip hop, and I was out L.A. for a decade producing underground and mainstream west coast artists, you can't be serious.

One has more attention to melody, one has more attention to drums. Don't act like you need more than a "kick clap kick clap" to make westcoast stuff.

Last edited:
I tested this theory and made a very generic very bitten trap style beat. This took me 15 -20 minutes (sound selection was a bit of a *****). Feel free to jack the hell out of this one.

no you dont.

yes I do

(we can argue about this all day........lol)

---------- Post added at 04:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 AM ----------

I tested this theory and made a very generic very bitten trap style beat. This took me 15 -20 minutes (sound selection was a bit of a *****). Feel free to jack the hell out of this one.

this is a dope trap beat

---------- Post added at 04:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 AM ----------

You don't know any "real producers" who can't make anything. I can make ANYTHING down to country, pop, rock n roll, techno... and I'm an engineer before anything. I'm from the south, grew up on east coast hip hop, and I was out L.A. for a decade producing underground and mainstream west coast artists, you can't be serious.

One has more attention to melody, one has more attention to drums. Don't act like you need more than a "kick clap kick clap" to make westcoast stuff.

ok.........I'll come to this conclusion

any producer can make anything..........but Is it gonna be good

west coast music is easier to make to me than trap

just because of the DAW that i use, if Reason had a piano roll like FL i'd be good money though

I disagree, I make west coast beats for the fun of it and i'd never say it takes more tallent. It all comes down to what your used to/enjoy making. What I find hard to make, someone else may find easy, and vice versa.
The best way to think about it, is like cooking. We're all chefs here, but i bet a Itlaian chef would find it harder to cook a chinese dish, and vice versa... a cook can make his signiture dish with ease, to perfection and make it look easy, while another cook may struggle doing it, as its not his speciality/area of work. Niether has more or less tallent, they all have their own speciality and their own experience behind that specific craft. Cant imagine Gordon Ramsey a well known qaulified chef trying to out cook my mums traditional dishes, he wouldnt stand a chance... doesnt make him less tallented, it just means this is my mums speciality and shes perfected this specific dish over the years.

Beatmakers who sell beats are so delusional. Acting like Dr.Dre couldn't drop a Chronic album and it be successful. Acting like Nas can't drop a #1 album based on that New York sound. Act like Outkast can't whip out that Southernplayalistic music today....Goodie Mob can't sell a new Soul Food today. You make trap beats because it is easy...you ain't bout that life though (and I aint even saying you have to sell dope to be bout that life).....you can't even groove to it yourself...you know the science behind it...you can make a video about it...but you ain't bout it. People with power are moving on the thoughts of the delusional, and the delusional follows the delusional. It's O.K to bite a style as long as you label somebody's style a "genre". More delusions caused by the internet, people's dream of making money, people that don't know any better, Fruity Loops (I was joking earlier but this time serious), music with no soul and the fact that you can create more souless music, (not saying you can't put your soul in FL).

Trap music is hard music.....and it's easy.....software can lead you the way. But you know what else it has done? Made people geniuses to a point that classic music with imperfections doesn't excite them, it makes them feel it needed a 1/16 quantize with a bit of swing, it needs a HPF to 250hz because it sounds too dull. It's these FL dudes who have turned into these geniuses because if it ain't based on FL then it is not correct. And trap beats are as correct as you can get. It's plenty of classic music that I heard some people say..."it ain't nothing...shit is wack actually"......I was like wow. I posted a James Brown track.....this dude said..."it didn't do nothing for me"........then posted some robotic shit......well do the robot to it then. lol!

Do the robot....you'll never be off beat.
102315_o.gif

Fuuck that trap shit. HIT ME!!!!! Robot man in the GIF getting funky to this shit....but looks like he on some cult shit with the trap shit.

Last edited:
Battlecat has always been one of my favorites. "We can freak it" still reigns as one of my all time favorite beats by any producer

Kurupt - We Can Freak It - YouTube

!

"We Can Freak It" is a beast. DJ Battlecat's work from 1996-2005 is legendary. Fredwreck is up there too, but he's more experimental with his shit.

DJ Quik is a down-to-earth dude, met him circa 2009-2010 but I wasn't producing then I was just doing session work. and with all due respect, the people on this site don't really do Trap Muzik justice.

Back