Is this desktop ready to edit HD Video and produce music?

AG Beats

Hello!

I will be getting my Canon t3i tomorrow, and I want to edit the HD 1080/720 videos on Adobe Premiere, as well as run FL Studio 11 with LOTS of plugs. I have Komplete 9 coming too.

I have a HP HPE-140f desktop, here are some specs.

920GB HD (If I wipe it out, which I hopefully can)

8GB of RAM (May need updated to 16?)

Intel Core i5 650 @ 3.2GHz 3.2GHZ (Thats what it says on my computer properties. Does this mean dual i5's? Thats pretty good right?)

It does have 64Bit windows 7.

Let me know if I left anything out.

the two indications of 3.2GHz simply means that both cores are running at the same speed not that you have dual i5s

this is more than adequate for your needs as long as you tweak the os for purpose

google "tweak win 7 home adobe premiere fl studio production" to find the appropriate tweaks - you may need to google premiere and fl separately to arrive at a list for both and then compare and contrast the differences before committing to a tweak sequence

what video card are you using? - this may require further tweaking and or the purchase of decent card to bring this up to an appropriate level

the two indications of 3.2GHz simply means that both cores are running at the same speed not that you have dual i5s

this is more than adequate for your needs as long as you tweak the os for purpose

google "tweak win 7 home adobe premiere fl studio production" to find the appropriate tweaks - you may need to google premiere and fl separately to arrive at a list for both and then compare and contrast the differences before committing to a tweak sequence

what video card are you using? - this may require further tweaking and or the purchase of decent card to bring this up to an appropriate level

I was thinking I might be better off starting a budget for a new PC. I'll see what I can do on my current set up with komplete, FL, etc, as well as the creative suite. Meanwhile I know I will probably have to upgrade soon. I was thinking I might as well get a beastly studio workstation I can rely on. What do you think about this:

PCPartPicker part list: Intel Core i7-4770K, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 - System Build - PCPartPicker
Price breakdown by merchant: Intel Core i7-4770K, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 - System Build - Price Breakdown By Merchant - PCPartPicker
Benchmarks: Intel Core i7-4770K, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 - System Build - Benchmarks - PCPartPicker

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.99 @ Mwave)

Motherboard: Asus Z87-C ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Microcenter)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($408.00 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($106.99 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($340.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Asus BW-14D1XT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($104.98 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($138.97 @ OutletPC)

Total: $1749.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-13 20:09 EST-0500)

Would this be a worthwhile investment? Is it somewhat future proof? I just want something that wont limit my creativity at all!

To begin with you are paying 2 much for the optical drive IMHO, you could save ~$80 by getting a OEM optical drive. Could also chose a set of RAM with a lower CAS. Unless you plan on going water cooled in the future and/or going with multiple video cards you are getting too big of a PSU. For basically the same price (~$40 more) you can get the newer version video card in the GTX 770 with 4GB of vRAM, (pcpartpicker(dot)com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn770wf34gd) which IMHO is a better card. Also would probably prefer getting atleast 1 SSD (FOR OS and any other programs that you use consistently). For Data storage I would prefer to run atleast a raid 0 setup if you're going to be dealing with a lot of raw video footage and working on music.

Also as a side note, even if you do have a raid 0 setup or not get in the habit of backing up your important files to atleast 1 external HDD.

-Sonny Black

Back