Is there a way to create a second "master fader" in Cubase 5...

D

DaKillaB

I've been trying to figure this out for a while, but all I can come up with is a real long work around...

but basically...

what I'm trying to do:
create a channel that receives all instrument outputs and then send this channel's output to the main fader...

why:
During mixing, i want to create some headroom for myself... so i want to route everything to one channel and then have it turned down to around -5 or -10 or w/e... I know I can turn the main fader down but I want to avoid doing that...

what I've already tried...
I've hit F4 and gone to the output tab and created another stereo output, but cubase only lets you use these one at a time... aaaand one stereo output can't be routed to another...

I know I can create a group channel and then have everything routed to it but this way gets a little complicated if I have multiple group channels within the project already... aaand its also kind of annoying having to go through each channel and routing it to the group everytime ...

I've also tried to just put each channel down to -5 or w.e and start the mix there... this way works but I have to manually turn each new channel down as I create it; it gets a little annoying.... plus there should be a way to do what I'm trying to do...

let me know if yall figured this out....

thanks

I mean, I know...

I said I tried that...

but aii, is there a way to create the group channel and then tell cubase to automatically route any new channel you create to the group channel?

SMH at not wanting to spend time setting up the environment so that it works - Only solution is to create a custom template that you load for projects.

The issue you have is not with Cubase but with your own laziness - it may be frustrating to have to "do this" by selecting each channel in turn and assigning it to a group bus, but it is way simpler than it is to do something like this with only hardware.......

Last edited:
...i want to route everything to one channel and then have it turned down to around -5 or -10 or w/e... I know I can turn the main fader down but I want to avoid doing that...

Wouldnt that be the same thing??? Just lower your master fader.

If you dont wanna touch your master fader lower everything else in your mix. Other than that, idk what to tell you. Utter laziness.

lol, I dont understand how Im being lazy...

I already showed yall I've taken the steps to try and figure it out and have already tried the grouping method, but it gets a little hectic when theres a bunch of channels open...

the template method can work, but that involves the assumption that whatever I save in the template i will use in later projects... thats not really ideal because I don't really use the same plugins all the time... some get used everytime but even then, the number of output channels for those plugins are rarely ever the same...

I guess I can lower the master fader but I wanted to stay away from that....

if there isn't a way to do it then there isn't a way to do it i guess... but i dont really understand the attitude though, whats really good with that?

Last edited by a moderator:
The attitude is more about you asking a question, being told the only real solutions to the problem and then bagging us for telling you the solutions.

And you missed the point about the template or didn't understand it - a template is simply a framework which you build your track within - there is nothing about a template that says it must have certain vsts/plugins/etc in place, a template provides you with the
  • audio channels,
  • vst instrument channels,
  • fx channels and
  • group channels
with any routing that you need pre-applied.

In other words: it is like having an electronically controlled patchbay system that pre-connects everything you can think of simply by loading that patch setup.

To do this in hardware requires a significant amount of effort and equipment.

Finally, if adjusting the levels on the master fader is what is needed, you just do it - don't over think the problem; a master fader is meant to be used to control the entire mix, not to be a setting that is locked and not touched.....

You will not be able to do what you want unless you do it manually. Master outputs are your direct link to your physical outputs, so you won't be able to re-route those.

I do think it's unnecesary for the sake of headroom. Just mix with really low levels to begin with and you'll never run out of headroom. I can't remember the last time I had to pull everything down due to lack of headroom.

Alternatively, what you can do is link all of the channels and that way you can use one fader to pull down/up all of the others that are linked. On mixer view, hold shift, click on all the channels you want to group, and then right click and choose "link channnels."

Back