Is Kendrick Lamar the End of Hip Hop?

The discussion of this album is reassuring for me. I Lub Hip Hop.

Those who listen, process, and speak of this release with Intelligence are easy to pick out.

I'm glad that this conversation wasn't dominated by a plethora of chart-watchers pitchin' in their two copper Lincolns.

Hip Hop is alive. That means that WE are alive.

Peace.

Do i feel that Kendrick's GKMC is the end of Hip Hop? at first i thought YES b/c of its PROGRESSIVENESS. i enjoyed everybit of it but it had me stuck like...whats next? whats gonna be the NEW sound. It really made me re-evaluate my sound as a producer b/c it was that DOPE. but that's my opinion.

Love this album... I love the story and the honesty. I feel every bit of the emotion being conveyed.... To the point I get a lil teary eyed when his boy gets shot and they end up praying. I can relate to living in an environment like his and being force to adopt a personality different than your own to survive. Self reflection..... This album should be an indication of better days to go for hip hop... I hope!

To me there was never any question that Kendrick was legit once I gave his stuff a real listen.

I just see how Cudi, Tyler the Creator, Asher Roth, and a host of other promising artists failed to deliver to their potential because of a suffocating industry situation.

I don't want to play pessimist, and thinking about the decline of the music industry really isn't going to help. So, let's just enjoy this gem for what it is, and hope that something else will come along eventually.

Rather than end hip hop I think KL, TDE and other buzzing artists are showing the industy and the consumer that there ARE different sounds out there that can breathe a lil life into the genre AND gain a substantial fanbase (money). I know cats in ATL who make music along those lines and have been grinding for years that have only recently found themselves in some good situations (deals, licensing, production) because of the exposure Kendrick and other artists have given them.

Yeah, it kinda reminds me how when Kanye came on the scene, all of sudden there was a whole new rush of energy with Lupe and Common, hopefully that'll happen here.

This classic talk with GKMC has got to stop. Good album (wasn't even better than Section.80 in my eyes though), but hey. Listen there are so many people doin what you call "real hip hop" outside of TDE. HipHop ain't dead it just lives in a different place now. That's it. This shxt is only 30 years old. Y'all gotta let it go through it's ropes.

It's like trying to raise a young kid to be a diligent, honourable civilian 24/7. Everyone is gonna have their slips and falls (YM just happen to be one in terms of HipHop). It doesn't have a history like Rock or Pop or even R&B. Give it time, let shxt soak. All that mainstream shxt, let em have their fun. The world works in cycles.

This classic talk with GKMC has got to stop. Good album (wasn't even better than Section.80 in my eyes though), but hey. Listen there are so many people doin what you call "real hip hop" outside of TDE. HipHop ain't dead it just lives in a different place now. That's it. This shxt is only 30 years old. Y'all gotta let it go through it's ropes.

It's like trying to raise a young kid to be a diligent, honourable civilian 24/7. Everyone is gonna have their slips and falls (YM just happen to be one in terms of HipHop). It doesn't have a history like Rock or Pop or even R&B. Give it time, let shxt soak. All that mainstream shxt, let em have their fun. The world works in cycles.

agreed. but GKMC is still a classic IMO! GKMC>>>Section.80 #HiiiPower!

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Rather than end hip hop I think KL, TDE and other buzzing artists are showing the industy and the consumer that there ARE different sounds out there that can breathe a lil life into the genre AND gain a substantial fanbase (money). I know cats in ATL who make music along those lines and have been grinding for years that have only recently found themselves in some good situations (deals, licensing, production) because of the exposure Kendrick and other artists have given them.

WHOO???? everybody doin trap musik down here!!! #ugh

I believe Hip Hop is beginning to have a stronger presence, at least to what I'm noticing. I remember telling my friends and peers about artists like Cole and Kendrick back in 09', but they were all giving me the "Who the hell is that?" look. Eventhough it took until Cole's single, Workout, to hit 106 & Park, people in my area are just now catching on to what I've nagging them about for years lol. Now everywhere I go, all I hear is people talking about Kendrick's album (Even if it is mostly about Poetic Justice, due to obvious reasons), which is a good thing.

I just understand the 3Ps... propoganda, promotion, and push to sell. Without it, this guy would be...Joey BadA$$ but deeper while LESS lyrical, lol.

Again, I'm not knocking dude, I'm not knocking fans wanting "real hip hop". It's just easy to sell you what you know you're missing even if it isn't as fulfilling as they're trying to convince you it is.

This dude is in the same lane as Kool Keith beyond what they tell you he is.
I've liked Kendrick since at least 14 months ago, Section.80 is one of my favorite albums ever. Maybe cause I'm only 15, I listened to all the classics, but Section.80 has that great feeling that other records don't. I liked GKMC (not as much as S80), but not because of "real hip hop". **** that, I listen to Meek Mill, Rick Ross and Waka too. But because of the music. I like all of his projects (except for C4 and Training Day), don't care if he's "real hip hop" or not tbh.

Last edited:
I thought Kendrick Lamars LP sucked. Not feeling it one bit. But I was never looking for it to be the saviour of Hip-Hop cause Hip-Hop is doing fine as it is. There are a ton of good albums out there. Last year I thought was a great year for full length releases also. The album of the year for me is Purpose & Confidence-The Purpose of Confidence but you had great albums from Aesop Rock, Mhz, Oddisee, Roc Marciano, Apollo Brown & OC, Apollo Brown & Guilty Simpson (just purchased it, its badass), Gensu Dean, Vinnie Paz, Reks, Skyzoo...they are just from the top of my head too.

Kenrick is decent, but is not a powerful presence to have a great longevity. Hes mellow and just kinda there IMO. Is his album great? No, but it isnt bad neither but definitely not near a classic. Hes really just mediocre. I personally dont like his flow too much. Only songs ive liked by him are She Needs Me, The Recipe and Vanity Slaves part 2.

I thought Kendrick Lamars LP sucked. Not feeling it one bit. But I was never looking for it to be the saviour of Hip-Hop cause Hip-Hop is doing fine as it is. There are a ton of good albums out there. Last year I thought was a great year for full length releases also. The album of the year for me is Purpose & Confidence-The Purpose of Confidence but you had great albums from Aesop Rock, Mhz, Oddisee, Roc Marciano, Apollo Brown & OC, Apollo Brown & Guilty Simpson (just purchased it, its badass), Gensu Dean, Vinnie Paz, Reks, Skyzoo...they are just from the top of my head too.

i've heard every one of those artists besides MHZ and Roc Marciano. none of them showed the level of improvement that Kendrick has, theyre all solid as hell tho. from one year to the next they all do the same thing; drop consistently good stuff that you come to expect. i had no idea GKMD would sound like that after Section 80, and it was BETTER imo, which is amazing, he pushes the bar in terms of what he can do every project, a true artist, not just an amazing rapper. Kid's gonna do good things if he doesn't **** up

Back