Is Kanye a genius with samples?

nervecell

Listen to the song Amazing by Kanye again and tell me that the way he uses the drum samples he got or made or whatever isn't amazing. The actual sample and the pattern he lays just sounds incredible.

Also how he uses vocal samples like Stronger and turned that into another hit single.

I just think the way Kanye uses samples is the best in the business and feel that hes the best producer in the history of music, ahead of RZA, dre, premier, pete rock etc...

I didn't like Kanye until recently but always knew the production he made was good.

this is just how I feel how about you

Kanye has made a career out of taking already popular soul songs and looping them. He is a talented producer but by no means a genius or even has a catalogue or longevity comparable to people like Dre, RZA or Premo. Lets see if he is still relevant in 10 years.

Dilla, now he knew how to sample.

that was well said, and it makes a lot of sense

But I listen to how it all sounds and the sounds that Kanye creates to me is simply amazing.

I'm not a huge fan of Kanye but he has a lot more money than any of those guys - excluding Dre. It stands for something when you've made multiple hit songs. He can work a sample pretty good

Does it matter if he is genius or not? Who cares?

He has won several grammys and numerous nominations for his production and artistry. I think that matters a lot more than whether or not he is a genius. The number of people who buy his music is more important than whether or not he is dumb or smart.

Like the example stated above... Dilla/Kanye. Call dilla a "genius" and call kanye "great." I'd still rather have Kanye's success and to be honest, I'd rather have his level or creativity whether you think dilla is more creative or not. It's the quality or the type of creativity that he has that sets him apart from dilla, dre, timbaland, anyone else that produces. And I say the same for them as well...they all have their own type/qualities of creativity. To sit in a session with each of these people would be a whole different experience each time. Who cares if they are genius...I just care about the quality of the music.

Kanye makes quality music in my person opinion.

I'm not a huge fan of Kanye but he has a lot more money than any of those guys - excluding Dre. It stands for something when you've made multiple hit songs. He can work a sample pretty good

And money comes into this how?

Kanye has taken whats been done by everyone else and found a way to make it his own. His production style is not that far off from RZA. He says so himself

Kanye loops POPULAR (previous hits) songs (Touch the Sky, Drive Slow, Stronger, Diamonds Are Forever, Guess Who's Back, etc. etc.). As soon as you hear the sample Kanye uses, you can recognize where he chopped/lopped. Dilla flipped samples to the point that they were unrecognizable. Dilla PLAYED instruments. Kanye PAYS musicians to play instruments. People go to Kanye for hits. Artist go to Dilla for classics.

Kanye=more money+popularity
Dilla=CREATIVITY

first of all i'm a big kanye fan... his music is what got me in this game in the first place...

when i read the dream's comment saying that kanye is better than dilla, i was like get the fu*k out of here... dilla was whole another level as an artist… but that comment made me think…

How come when someone talks about top 5 hip-hop producers of all time and his name is often left out? Are people ashamed that they like his records? Is it because he's such a d*ck? Naaw, you're just jealous he's getting paid. He had hit records producing for both hip-hop and r&b artists… worked with some of the hottest name in the game… produced majority of classic albums like „the blueprint“ and „be“… production on all of his albums was extraordinary and different in a good way.
He may not have the sickest drums or even chop his samples. He doesn't get his finger dusty like dilla did. But still his tracks go hard. And, YES some of his songs are CLASSICS. He is more than just mainstream artist.
He did more than just jack rza's style... yes, rza was major influence to him but he DID develop his own signature sound. after college dropout dropped, everyone wanted to sound like kanye west. you probably did too. i know i did.
On his later albums, he grew as an artist. Changed his style. Did more than hip-hop. Work with other producers. He may not be the only man behind the boards, most of producers use musicians to play melodies they had in mind. But he is behind the track, his ideas, his big ego and work ethics that allows him to perfect his tracks.
He's the hottest name in the game right now and he surely will bring more hits. 50 years from now, his music will still matter along with productions from greats like j dilla, premo, pete rock… I'm sure he'll be acknowledged as an legend.

I still do not agree that kanye is better than dilla, no one can even touch dilla's level but i do agree that he IS truly a genius and he's definitely in my top 5 producer list…

Back