is dr dre the best producer alive ?

I throw Diplo in ther for one of the best producers. that guys done everything from Major Lazer to his own projects. not the BEST, but pretty versatile.

Last edited:
Dre been bittin me since 84'. I'm the best producer dead or alive hands down. You can put that on ya momma's vibrator.

From a DJ perspective Dre is the best rap producer. No other producer can touch his catalog wise. Best all around producer to me is Timbaland. I think Jermaine based on his hits, is the best at R&B. Just my 2. Quincy is the greatest.

Best hip hop producer has to be Timbo, simple as that. But being the best doesn't necessarily mean you put out the best quality of work. That to me goes to Pharell

Nope, I agree with Young Tex, Timbaland is alot better he has been in the business for just as long, just not as in your face as dre, I'd say Kanye would be pretty good, particular in his sampling abilities. But my hat goes to Quincy Jones the man behind Michael Jackson's First 3 debut albums and an artist in his own right

I cant say he's on my top 5 anymore...I respect what he did, had memorable classic material, his own sound.

but Dre in 2013...feels mad irreverent. Like a whole different era.

Ppl so stuck on what he did, but what is he doing now...Ppl get lost in a time warp somewhere...they don't make music like this anymore. Times have changed. Gotta wait mad long to hear his production n shit.

I don't want a bunch of videos and links to songs posted. I wanna hear at least a few songs new songs...with his production within a average time frame. Right now it feels like he damn there retired, but keeps supposedly letting stuff leak to make anticipation.

Dre will always be amongst the greats and considered the greatest to some. Very influential on me, but he's not at that prime anymore...Probably doesn't even care and has better things to worry about. He left his mark...that's what matters.

Last edited:
but Dre in 2013...feels mad irreverent. Like a whole different era.

Ppl so stuck on what he did, but what is he doing now...Ppl get lost in a time warp somewhere...they don't make music like this anymore. Times have changed. Gotta wait mad long to hear his production n shit.

I can't even remember the last time I heard a Dr. Dre beat on the radio. Mike Will, T-Minus, and Noah "40" Shebib have pretty much done more than Dre ever did at this point.

Oh...this thread is not about "hip hop".......well....that title of course goes to Jam and Lewis

Hip hop producers/ beatmakers can hang it up man. There is proof to bag that up....since this is Hip hop/ R&B thread. No contest...you don't like it, don't matter. Your opinion means nothing vs facts. Quincy Jones can even hang it up....that's how serious the truth is. Don't bring nobody's name up.........take this as a lesson learned. Do your research. Class over.

But hip hop.......

All the rest of the producers you will name....think of their best....it sounds like shit when you play it compared to this......you would be in denial trying to defend yourself...in your little bitty beatmaking minds...

Them dudes yall be naming can't even get their bpms set right for a mood.......yall trippin. Kanye still a rookie type dude after all these years. Numbers do lie......the dude sucks.

Yall are the reason we shouldn't let the words beatmaker and producer mean the same thing. Because producers love the credit they deserve for putting such masterful pieces together, and end up being better known for some ragidy ass headphones more than the actual geniuses they were.

And you wonder why there is no Detox....this is why. 0 years from now some rooty poot will be named better than him.....so it ain't even worth his time to entertain you dudes.

Done! I don't belong here.

Last edited:
i think a better topic than "alive" is "active" dr. dre ain't doin shit.

alive yes, top 5 easily.

active no, he's not doing much at all right now.

I think Timbaland is the better producer by far but that is my personal opinion but I think they have both may have been guilty of taking more credit than they deserved on some things. For example Timbaland is credited with producing "Apologize" for OneRepublic when in actuality Ryan Tedder the lead singer in OneRepublic actually produced that record but was in Tim's studio and used his drums in the MPC for the track.

Back