In desperate need for even vocals on already processed vocals for a song assignment..

Jaiz

Hi I've recently been added on the stable of writers on The Songs Of Love foundation. Received my first song assignment and it was due October 17th. They've been very lenient and patient with me which I so appreciate, but I have until 9 AM to finish this song or it will be re-assigned. It's is about 5 Am in the morning right now. More than anything I want to finish this song so the child I was assigned can receive it. I've done compression, limiting, and hours of manual volume editing on so many parts of the vocals, and have been working on this song non-stop for about a month. No matter what I do, I can't level out the vocals without their being spikes and dips, and it just sounds like someone who doesn't know how to do vocal production lol I need something to slap on the final mixed acapella because it's way too far gone for me to go into each individual session to re-do stuff since I've added so much to the final mixing session which wouldn't cover new vocal file mixdowns. I also wouldn't have the time regardless. Is there any possible way to have a finalizing plugin or such on vocals that are already processed with reverb, compression, eq, and the whole nine yards? Waves vocal rider is out, reading and writing automation is something I have no clue about as I mix in the ancient Adobe Audition 1.5. Just know I'm in very desperate need to have a very nicely well balanced vocal.

Last edited:
Oh and for insight here's what I've tried for compression and limiting

- Adobe Audition Dynamics Processing
- Vocsteady
- MCompressor
- MLimiter
- Steady Pro
- UAD 1176LN followed by UAD LA2A
- UAD Precision Limiter
- FerricTDS
- Waves Vcomp
- Waves SSLGChannel
- Waves LinMB
- Waves C1 Comp
- Waves C1 Comp-sc
- Waves C4
- Waves Rcomp
- Waves SSLComp
- Waves L2
- Waves L1 Ultamaximizer
- Waves L3 Ultramaximizer
- Waves MaxxVolume

And the list just goes on and on. No matter what I do, I cannot get that nice smooth perfectly even vocal without hours and days of manual volume editing.

apply a very light compression (no more than 4:1) to it (the vocal track or vocal buss) and do not add makeup gain. set the threshold around -10db

get back to me when you have done this

What plugin do you think would work best for already mixed vocals? There's other factors like attack, release, etc. I'd like to know the plugin and exact settings you'd suggest. I know this is based on personal taste as I've read a million times on forums which is never any help, but seeing you have 16k posts on here, I'm going to assume you are indeed a mod scientist lol Any screenshots would be very helpful. I have this problem which almost every song I mix, so having a post vocal template to smooth out the entire already mixed acapella would be sweet. I could tweak as I learn more, but I'm desperate right now for exact settings based on your professional opinion.

whatever comes standard with the daw should be sufficient as your plugin

I can highly recommend this http://www.kvraudio.com/product/tdr-feedback-compressor-ii-by-tokyo-dawn-labs created jointly by one of our own, moses (a former moderator)

I have audition vsn CS5.5 so a long way from where you currently are

would help to have some demo audio but the following are some starting figures: attack should be about 250ms and release about 150ms

the problem is that each mix requires its own approach and what works well for one may be an absolute disaster for the next

how many hours 'till this is due?

Last edited:
All those waves plugin and no Waves vocal rider. Download the demo real quick and throw it on with the slight compression bandcoach mentioned.

You're lucky this isn't a paying job. At least it better not be lol.

Back