I really Need some life advice :/

Hi, firstly id like to apologize for the length of this post, but ive really dug myself a deep hole and am severely depressed over what's happened and am just hoping for any advice from anyone since nobody that i know in real life gives a shit.

Secondly,id like to say that im not entirely sure if this is the right section to be posting in as this is my first post and it does pertain to "getting started" or rather starting over.

Im a 16 year old producer and started on fl studio at the age of 13 and have basically centred my whole life around producing for the last year or so by spending every free minute on my laptop working. Recently in the last 6 months or so ive spent over 500 hours producing my first 'album' and finally finished composing, mixing and mastering about 10 really dope beats. I stayed up countless nights, put off many homework assignments and projects as a gifted and AP student just to work on these beats that i did for enjoyment as i live for and love music.

So, as a complete dumbass, i refreshed my computer a couple of weeks ago to try to fix a bug i was having with my cd drive, little did i know all my fl studio files were erased. So after taking my laptop to repair shops and a computer engineer, all i was able to recover (through recuva) were the corrupted files of around 1/3 of my projects all of which dont open because of various issues such as with the compatibility of the projects with the re-installed fl studio (things like engine errors and "out of memory" errors).

At this point its quite clear to me that ill never get any of those beats back and have accepted that as real. However, regardless of this acceptance ive since found my self in a state of surrealism and am just at a lose for what i should do now. I completely blame myself for what happened, i should have backed up my computer, though i did have all my projects on a usb which stopped working and erased itself one week before this event, and i understand that its not the end of the world and life will go on regardless.

My problem is, i just dont know what to do now, all my effort, everything, is gone and not one living person except for myself has heard it. I just dont feel as supported or happy making music anymore and am just depressed alltogether. This is literally all thats on my mind, ive tried reasoning with myself that atleast i gained alot of experience through this misfortune and that if i make new music itll prove to be better and progress will show but i just dont have the same motivation as i had before as a naive, excited beatmaker.

Im sure much worse has happened to others but i am completely at a loss for what i should do now. Ive got a thousand things running through my head now and i know that only i can be blamed for what happened but find it horribly unfair that while 99% of my age group does nothing all day, and i spend every waking minute working and now i have nothing to show for my art.

If i just had those beats back my life would be complete again. I love music and had huge dreams of becoming something big since i was little. Now it feels like all the odds are working against me and i wish to perceiver but i just feel depressed and cant function the way i used to. Im at a loss for what to do, any words of advice or analysis of my situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Btw if anybody has any fixes for these .flp corrupted files id love to hear them though im pretty sure there's no resolution. They are fairly full files some coming in at 5 mb's and some just a hunderd kb's. When i open some of these files a fl box shows up saying " out of memory" , something about the engine being insufficient or just flat out "corrupted file" messages. Id be happy to comply and even pay for anyone who has any way of helping me.

Thanks again. Btw i prayed to god for weeks over this but that only diminished any belief i had in the dude. I feel helpless. Pce

Last edited by a moderator:
external harddrive that hold 1TB of storage will be 60 bucks minimum, usb 3.0
partitions can be made to store files even if windows messes up.(minitool partition manager)
if you reinstalled windows before looking at your harddrive with ubuntu then they are gone for good(made this mistake three times)
maybe get a small 4gb flashdrive for 6 bucks that can be used as a usb windows/linux/mac just in case.
Then you can create restore points.

I have lost countless hours of work since I started due to many different reasons. It's OK to mourn your lost babies a bit, but what you need to do eventually is to stop living in the past. Life is now, not yesterday. Time that had passed won't come back and you have learned a valuable lesson here, painful as it was. You are 16 years old, you got your whole life ahead of you still. Don't waste anymore time thinking about what could've been and waste your energy on things you have no control over. What happens from this point is entirely up to you, I'd suggest that you just get back up and start making some music again, after all that is what you love to do. The only one who can do this is you, and you are the one who decides what you want to do with your life, nobody is going to make that decision for you. You already seem to have a quite reasonable perspective over this anyway, and we all know how much it sucks to lose the time and effort you put into something. Now, it's time to simply move on, plain and simple.

Last edited:
Hey things happen. don't feel bad, the Rza lost a ton of material back in 94' when his basement flooded do to a heavy storm. That never stopped him, i'm sure it was a huge setback and probably felt sick to his stomach, the best thing to do is just let go cause it's only hurting not helping. your a young guy and have plenty of time. You've only been producing for a few years so i'm sure you have plenty of room for growth, just keep going, as you get better, you will look back and laugh at those beats you lost. trust me. Stay Frosty

Gaaahhhdamn, dude.
Summary and paragraph breaks, please?
Niggas ain't tryna read all that in 2014.

Last edited:
While many of us have the experience of losing our work there can of course be a distinction in regard to how we process and deal with it, because everyone handles these kinds of things differently.

When shit goes wrong sometimes our primitive monkey brains will just repeatedly scrutinize what went wrong and try to figure out a solution over and over again because we have hit upon an unsolvable problem that we really want to fix quite badly but can't......We just can't help but repeatedly punish our selves in this way because we quite simply don't want to let go.

The realization that you don't have the control over events that you thought you did can lead to depression, which is really quite shitty because it doesn't solve or overcome the problems of the past and it sure as shit doesn't help you move forward.......Depression doesn't have any benefits at all......what you need to do is rebuild your optimism and embark upon a new project.

I lost a couple of sessions when I first started out and it seemed like a big deal at the time but as time went on I progressed more and made tracks better then what I had lost. I'm sure you should be able to remember certain sounds, plugins, and melodies you created and could remake or remix the ideas you originally had, maybe they will even turn out better than before.

You know, this can turn out as a good thing: you really love music, as I read, and you can use this event as a trigger point for something bigger. You "lost" too much time of work with your computer's kaboom, that is right. But I think you still have memories on how each one of the songs were structured, and you can use this to improve them.

As I said, you seem to love making music, so another 500 hours of work won't do you any damage.

This is one of these scenarios you just need to grief for a little while, and then rise up from the ashes better than ever.
Either you dig yourself further down, or you see the chance to rise up and struggle to make better music than ever.
You've been making a whole CD, that's a lot of time of developement and experience.

Picture yourself 1 year in the future. Imagine that you've chosen the 2nd choice and kept on working, and made a whole bunch of music and is better than ever, what view will you have on your music that you lost?
Will you go like "Aaaaahhh sh*t I miss those tracks they were way better than my current ones!", or more like "Now when I think of the tracks I made back then, what on earth was I thinking?! Those tracks are nothing compared to my new ones!"

If I were you I would take a week or 2 to get over it, then start all over, make new tracks as well as remaking the old ones - but better.

I dont mean to be harsh, but often beginners, while still on a steep learning curve, release tracks too soon (mostly because they want peer approval), only to regret it a month later.
This might have been a blessing in disguise, you may not have the end result of your work, but you still have the experience and knowledge which cant be taken away.

If you thought you couldn't outdo yourself with any flp, think again.If you still remember em you could remake them into something better as time goes on.

however this may seem boring but i'd advise you to learn intervals and sheet music.

Whenever I hear of a hard-drive failure, I backup all my stuff ASAP. I have lost so much data over the years, music, photos, art...poems...really the list goes on and on. Finally broke down and bought a 300 gig portable drive last year, which is stocked full...Sort of wish I had purchased a beefier one. Nonetheless. Live, learn and let go.

You will make better music, don't worry, and 500 hours is like 12.5 weeks of "real life work" so, that's 3 months and some change. You will be fine, get something to back up your stuff, burn to CD, flashdrive...etc etc.

Nice and thoughtful advice in this thread!

If it was on a regular style rpm harddrive your in luck. You can get back files after a clean install. Pay a professional or try geeksquad. but geeksquad sucks. SOrry now I don't know who to turn to. but there is software you can buy that digs deep into a harddrive. Good news huh.

Blessings to come in love

Faith Fox

Its happened to me before, but not so extreme. I lost a couple of files because i didnt know refreshing would erase all of them but you have to keep your head up. Stuff happens but now you know what happens so take extra precaution when refreshing.

stop crying and get over it... and honestly there's a pretty good chance you'll never make it in the music industry... no matter how many hours a day you put in

Relax. You made the beats, that means you can make more. You can only get better from here on. Pick yourself up, get back on the horse and move on to the next project and make sure it absolutely murders your old stuff :D

Hey Man,

Sorry to hear about that. If that happened to me I'd be pretty ****ing pissed too but tbh your still at a young age damn I wish I was that focused on making music at 16 I'm 20 now and only in the last year have I decided to take my shit seriously if you carry on being focused and just keep making and making tunes you will gain alot of knowledge about where your skills are at doing it i mean no one gains experience from doing nothing right? So just carry on being as dedicated as you have been and you'll get to where you want to go. You've got to leave the past so many things happen in this life which are completely out of our control and the upsetting thing is at some point in life it'll most likely happen be it in anything. You've gotta move on dude pick yourself up and carry on making music for the fact you love it i believe in the saying if it's meant to be it will be as corny as it does sound if you love doing something your almost always find a way to do it no matter what. Look at it this way you've learnt some good lessons through this and you've gained more experience making tunes through working on that album you was so just apply that to your future projects.

Try not to feel to bad about it mate happens to the best of us!

I remember this happened to me about five years ago but only I was working on someone elses album... So much emotions were going back and forth and I tried everythinng to get atleast my music back but nothing. Im pretty sure this had alot to do with my now ex wife because she hated anything that I loved or had passion for that wasnt her. Blah getting off topic but really you still have your whole life ahead of you! Dont waste it by dwelling on this because youll lose memory of things youve learned and will have to re learn everything and who knows, you probably learned something on your own that no one else knew and could never remember or bla bla bla I think you get what Im saying. Just bounce back and let it be a lesson! You're not alone buddy hang in there and do your best! Peace

Don't give up you found something you love at such a young age, adults still are having trouble finding something they like doing. If you give up now you will always think about how you gave up and wondered what would have happened if you didn't. It's different if you simply lose interest, but it just seems you hit some sort of a road block you'll never make it if you take too much time drowning in your losses just keep ya head up homie and things will get better.

Back