I Read Something Very Interesting About Trap Music That Got Me Thinking!!!

Damn rice, I knew Trap music was old, but 93? The percussion is the exact same as today.

Also to all you who think Lex made trap music, he just re-made it, nothing else. Wether he made it better or worse is debetable.

T.I released his album "Trap Muzik" in 2003......just saying.

Damn yall gon keep fighting it ha i told you all that other shit is not trap shit dawg the whole trap music movement started with young jeezy not t.i. and his album was called trap muzik and is nothing like jeezy shit please stop playing games acting like all that other shit is trap shit when you know its not.When i say jeezy started it i mean with songs like these:Off Young Jeezy & Dj Drama-Streets Is Watching In 2004 and i dont think jeezy ever said in any of these songs "this is trap music"

then Young Jeezy & Dj Drama-Trap Or Die in 2005 what really defined trap music i bet you cant find nothing that sounded like these beats for these tapes came out:

Off Young Jeezy:TM101

Off Gucci Mane Trap House:<br>

Off Young Jeezy:TM102

This is what started trap music not cause they said "this what is trap music" this what influenced producers like d.rich,lex luger,fat boi,and alot of producers but those was the ones that got popular from mimicing and flipping it.T.I Trap Muzik had a couple songs that sounded a lil tiny bit like the shit shawty redd was doing

And im sure fruity loops and thier users would love to have the title STARTING TRAP MUSIC

Last edited:
correct me if im wrong but i believe "Trap Muzik" was released in 2003? edit: im not hating, i think your post is a very good time capsule of trap music history.

Last edited:
dawg i just gave you a breakdown of how it was started

so you with Gucci Mane or Jeezy crew??? how are you the expert.
side note
I really don't care who started Trap Music as we know it now
the simple fact alot of the elements of the "BEAT" part of trap music not the lyrics have already been around just not combined as it is now.

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

I hated these hats man.........really hated them. But I loved the beat.

i love those hats. i dont understand how you could not like them.
i like how they have variation. instead of the same basic hi hat pattern.
when i first heard hi hat rolls and patterns like that song, i was amazed and wanted to know how to make mine like that.

Some dude made a thread just two or three years ago talking about a style of music called "futuristic"...........I thought to myself "WTF is a futuristic?" Well.....don't hear much about that style today.

yeah i made that thread under one of my banned accounts a few years back.
futuristic hasnt died though, its still alive underground, but everybody wanna do harder sounds since lex sound blew up.
futuristic is like trap with happier softer synths and shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn yall gon keep wompwawawawawompwawompwompwawawawoompwawompwawompwawompwomp

lmao!!! Sounds like some "South" shit from the ATL with ATL street slang to me. All it needed was for Lil Jon to say "YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAYAAH" on all of them shits. Same shit I was hearing in the street from local niggas before it. Trust me my dude.

ole Petey Pablo face ass. lol!

Don't fall for the commercial shit......it will make you delusional. Must be a reason Shawty Redd and Jeezy changed their style up.........something. Dudes in the real underground were going too damn hard.....real talk. These commercial hungry ass niggas wanted to introduce the world to the streets of the A. Like I said.....you've heard the word "trap" way back with Goodie Mob......OutKast back in the days. YOU....only know about it because these commercial hungry ass dudes heard what the "streets" sound like and want to be the ones to introduce the world to it.

Lil Jon had to step his got damn game up because of them underground unknown niggas. Why not be the "spokes person for it when you get the fame......make people think you invented. These niggas need to keep it real and let people know what the real business is. I'm an older kat who was THERE before the wiki. I don't know about you....maybe you were there. And if you were....you would remember what the streets sounded like. And the streets were too street for commercial ass niggas for a long ass time. Dudes couldn't get acknowledge unless they sounded like what's on the radio.....(remember what the radio sounded like in 98 - 99?) Trap shit was pumpin in the streets. Made T.I be like "man.......I fuucked up.......these niggaz care more about

Than

There is no better love that you can get than from your home team.....because they won't play your local shit until it is labeled as hot or you are a hot artist. "Trap" Muzik save that nigga career. lol!

But while Toomp and T.I were getting smart with the sound they developed......the streets still sounded like this

Young niggas win again over old ass niggas when it comes to the home team. lol! Better recognize this shit because it will never change. Chief Keef is a good example of that. Old niggas want shit done a certain way because they feel they have grown production and/or artist wise above the local shit. But the young niggas will always shine because they "representing something" that other young niggas can relate to.

correct me if im wrong but i believe "Trap Muzik" was released in 2003? edit: im not hating, i think your post is a very good time capsule of trap music history.

Yeah he came out with an album titled "Trap Muzik" but is wasnt the same "Trap Music" or sound that jeezy brought to the game and that is still being made and used today jeezys "Trap Music" is.

I think he is more so talking about the beats themselves rather then then the term "trap muzik". The "trap beat" or what is usually called a trap beat these days was not started by T.I. and Dj Toomp. A lot of the beats on Trap Muzik were soulful south joints. What you hear now and what is usually considered a trap beat was started by Jeezy and Shawty Redd. You can add Gucci in the mix too. Back in those days guess 05-06 people called them jeezy beats though not trap beats.

Pretty much every thing you hear now evolved from these records

Most popular trap chord progression

64th timed hi hats

Transposing of melodies

D Rich then came into the picture and took elements from those records and multiplied them by like 100x

Transposed way more

Went crazy with the hi hats

Redd then went to jail and D rich sorta disappeared for a while and Lex Luger hit the scene took elements from both D rich and Redd.

Lex always had a distinct way of how he did those offset snares but other than that his earlier beats sounded very similar D rich's

Lex sound started to evolve into his own and thats when B.M.F and slew of other joints with that lazer tag popped up.

That snare you hear alot in trap beats among other things

Orch hits, that lead from ravity/purity you hear a lot

Now you have those 808 mafia type beats (which is more so from southside's sound but at times southside and lex sounded almost identical)

And Maybach music type joints

so you with Gucci Mane or Jeezy crew??? how are you the expert.
side note
I really don't care who started Trap Music as we know it now
the simple fact alot of the elements of the "BEAT" part of trap music not the lyrics have already been around just not combined as it is now.

-Coach Antonio

No im not apart of neiher T.I's nor Jeezy's camp i a big fan of down south music and know my history of music from crunk,booty shaking,trap,snap and all that.I dont really see the big deal about giving props where it is due.Yeah jeezy used to rap different when he was lil j he was sounding like master p and paster troy and it wasnt to bad but when he met shawty redd shawty redd had a different sound than what he had used b4 which was that slowed down dark orchestra sound and jeezy knew he had to switch his style up and slow it down and get on that d boy shit and thats how trap music was birthed. All that other shit is crunk music none of it is trap music not even t.i's shit

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

I think he is more so talking about the beats themselves rather then then the term "trap muzik". The "trap beat" or what is usually called a trap beat these days was not started by T.I. and Dj Toomp. A lot of the beats on Trap Muzik were soulful south joints. What you hear now and what is usually considered a trap beat was started by Jeezy and Shawty Redd. You can add Gucci in the mix too. Back in those days guess 05-06 people called them jeezy beats though not trap beats.

Pretty much every thing you hear now evolved from these records

Most popular trap chord progression

64th timed hi hats

Transposing of melodies

D Rich then came into the picture and took elements from those records and multiplied them by like 100x

Transposed way more

Went crazy with the hi hats

Redd then went to jail and D rich sorta disappeared for a while and Lex Luger hit the scene took elements from both D rich and Redd.

Lex always had a distinct way of how he did those offset snares but other than that his earlier beats sounded very similar D rich's

Lex sound started to evolve into his own and thats when B.M.F and slew of other joints with that lazer tag popped up.

That snare you hear alot in trap beats among other things

Orch hits, that lead from ravity/purity you hear a lot

Now you have those 808 mafia type beats (which is more so from southside's sound but at times southside and lex sounded almost identical)

And Maybach music type joints

This is correct...

Last edited:
lmao!!! Sounds like some "South" shit from the ATL with ATL street slang to me. All it needed was for Lil Jon to say "YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAYAAH" on all of them shits. Same shit I was hearing in the street from local niggas before it. Trust me my dude.

ole Petey Pablo face ass. lol!

Don't fall for the commercial shit......it will make you delusional. Must be a reason Shawty Redd and Jeezy changed their style up.........something. Dudes in the real underground were going too damn hard.....real talk. These commercial hungry ass niggas wanted to introduce the world to the streets of the A. Like I said.....you've heard the word "trap" way back with Goodie Mob......OutKast back in the days. YOU....only know about it because these commercial hungry ass dudes heard what the "streets" sound like and want to be the ones to introduce the world to it.

Lil Jon had to step his got damn game up because of them underground unknown niggas. Why not be the "spokes person for it when you get the fame......make people think you invented. These niggas need to keep it real and let people know what the real business is. I'm an older kat who was THERE before the wiki. I don't know about you....maybe you were there. And if you were....you would remember what the streets sounded like. And the streets were too street for commercial ass niggas for a long ass time. Dudes couldn't get acknowledge unless they sounded like what's on the radio.....(remember what the radio sounded like in 98 - 99?) Trap shit was pumpin in the streets. Made T.I be like "man.......I fuucked up.......these niggaz care more about
Than

There is no better love that you can get than from your home team.....because they won't play your local shit until it is labeled as hot or you are a hot artist. "Trap" Muzik save that nigga career. lol!

But while Toomp and T.I were getting smart with the sound they developed......the streets still sounded like this

Young niggas win again over old ass niggas when it comes to the home team. lol! Better recognize this shit because it will never change. Chief Keef is a good example of that. Old niggas want shit done a certain way because they feel they have grown production and/or artist wise above the local shit. But the young niggas will always shine because they "representing something" that other young niggas can relate to.

Im 29 YO from the south, the streets sounded like 36 Memphis shit when i was growing up, that was crunk music, the bounce has changed since then, slowly evolved (98-2001 i was listening to nothing but DMX, Chronic 2001 and Easy E) but now that i listen with new ears it is a total different feel to the crunk music of the past, you can tell trap music came from that, but has evolved to something different and its hard to tell when the change happened. Shawty Redd had a impact for sure, i think Zaytoven put a swing into the south music that almost made the genre itself. DJ Toomps gritty drums i think rounded out the genre you hear about today. A combination of these 3 producers made the beginning of trap music and the new style (808 mafia style) is carrying it into the future into another genre, just like every other genre of music evolves, its like musical Darwinism.

Edit: Nice post Tex!

Last edited:
Started with MPC, found FL Studio, then found Maschine and Vintage Keyboards lol...

---------- Post added at 03:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 AM ----------

Lil Jon, Trick Daddy?

I was referring to people actually calling a sound(any sound) "trap music". Not the sound that influenced trap music of today.

Like I mean in ATL people were making that bendy synth bounce stuff and referring to it as "trap music" in 03. It lead to the sound of stuff like Young Joc - It's Going Down and 8Ball MJG - No Drama. That was "trap music" by name depending on who you ask.

Dudes are trying to bottle a formula for a sound, all i've been trying to explain is the coined term "trap music" has been used to describe southern street music since at least 03 when T.I. used it to describe the sound of his album. If he was calling his sound that in 03, he originated the coined phrase and holds the right to say he invented it UNLESS someone can establish that the term was used before that.

If we had asked what trap music was a just a few years ago it was songs like 24s by T.I., It's going down by Yung Joc, Over here by Jeezy, Dope Boy Fresh by 3-6, Rick Ross' whole discog from the beginning, ect. The sound has changed, so we identify other characteristics of trap music of today(thanks to lex capitalizing and making a dominant sound notable regardless of who 1st introduced the sound), but that's like NYC music went from gritty drums and old jazz samples to sped up soul records with vocals in them.

The sound alone isn't what makes the genre, it's the region and people who are into it. Any old hole in the wall/stripclub/dopehouse down south shyt is pretty much trap music. Always has been. I remember when PRODUCERS started calling things "trap beats"(after byting off lex), but when Gucci Mane dropped freaky girl, that was even trap music, that coined Lex shyt hadn't been thought about yet.

Last edited:
End thread.We gave yall the run down on how trap music was birthed til current everything else is irrelevant.Anything b4 Young Jeezy Streetz Is Watching is not trap music.All that other shit had a title for it in its era but it wasnt trap and its going down came out way after streetz is watching and no drama was not no trap music if you not saying jeezy started trap music dont even reply back in this thread case closed.

END THREAD? Lol, please. T.I. factually coined the term(until someone can prove otherwise)making what he called "trap muzik" back in 03 what it was regardless of what it became.

That's like someone saying even though it was called "hip hop" in '78, it's not real hip hop unless it sounds like it does in 2012. I also find it funny that someone can pinpoint it to Jeezy like there weren't underground cats with the same sound even before streetz is watching. Someone is waaaayyyyy too much of a Jeezy fan.

And you can't even say "streetz is watching" commercialized the current sound of trap. Jeezy bounced around too much from beat to beat(they weren't all what you'd call "trap" now), and streets is watching isn't a well enough known album. that's like saying sped up soul samples were commercialized by old Cam'ron mixtapes...no...it was commercialized by Jay-Z's multiplatinum Blueprint album, and even though old Cam mixtapes put the sound out there, underground NYC artists had the same sound before as well.

It's astonishing that people think a sound can be pinpointed, lol.

(c)2000, but what if it just dropped yesterday?

I understand what you wish was right, but what would make something like "They No" by Shawty Lo trap music without opening the door for a million other songs to be the same? And you know good and damn well "They No" was considered "Trap Music".

You can try to explain what it became, I got ears, I know what it sound like now. I can/do make the shyt. Doesn't change that it evolved from a foundation and other stuff was considered trap music before Jeezy was ever heard of. Other stuff than the current sound was considered trap music after the fact as well.

"Cashin Out" has all the elements of a trap song, but I bet you have a hard time admitting it's one if you think too hard about what is/isn't trap because it was so...COMMERCIALIZED.

Last edited:
END THREAD? Lol, please. T.I. factually coined the term(until someone can prove otherwise)making what he called "trap muzik" back in 03 what it was regardless of what it became.

That's like someone saying even though it was called "hip hop" in '78, it's not real hip hop unless it sounds like it does in 2012. I also find it funny that someone can pinpoint it to Jeezy like there weren't underground cats with the same sound even before streetz is watching. Someone is waaaayyyyy too much of a Jeezy fan.

And you can't even say "streetz is watching" commercialized the current sound of trap. Jeezy bounced around too much from beat to beat(they weren't all what you'd call "trap" now), and streets is watching isn't a well enough known album. that's like saying sped up soul samples were commercialized by old Cam'ron mixtapes...no...it was commercialized by Jay-Z's multiplatinum Blueprint album, and even though old Cam mixtapes put the sound out there, underground NYC artists had the same sound before as well.

It's astonishing that people think a sound can be pinpointed, lol.

(c)2000, but what if it just dropped yesterday?

I understand what you wish was right, but what would make something like "They No" by Shawty Lo trap music without opening the door for a million other songs to be the same? And you know good and damn well "They No" was considered "Trap Music".

You can try to explain what it became, I got ears, I know what it sound like now. I can/do make the shyt. Doesn't change that it evolved from a foundation and other stuff was considered trap music before Jeezy was ever heard of. Other stuff than the current sound was considered trap music after the fact as well.

"Cashin Out" has all the elements of a trap song, but I bet you have a hard time admitting it's one if you think too hard about what is/isn't trap because it was so...COMMERCIALIZED.

now end thread now bringing that Dirty video in I remember that I was about 21 years old

-Coach Antonio

Back