I can only write beats well when I'm stoned

I find that I can only write decent rap beats when I'm stoned, everything just sounds "clearer" and i can judge pitch better, I'm also much more creative. Does anyone else find this lol? and how could I have this level of creativity normally

you saying you can only do something when your high is a symptom of being a addict. your beats dont have solid themes and probably because you are high when you make them

Maybe you need that. Jus sayin......

When I used to smoke and be by myself.....I would make a drum pattern.........just a snare and a kick.....and listen to it.......then I get bored....start listening to my old stuff....then I get horny......then I call a freak. I would probably be different today though since making beats is about like playing a video game. But back when I was smoking weed heavy....it was all hardware.....no dots to connect.....a keyboard, a drum machine, and a tape recorder. Same drum sounds....same keyboard sounds. I felt like I was wasting my high....need to do something entertaining...like watch a movie or something. I was far from a keyboardist.....finger pecking notes.....if I was smoking weed and could actually play...it might've been the sweetest joy next to getting pussy. But it does effect people differently.

write beats? you prolly were stoned when you made this thread.. lol.. but i do find making beats while a little high leads to my best work.. but personally i can't be too high... production wise some things i can't do while high.. like mix... everything sounds SOOOO GOOOD WHEN YOUR HIGH... so i def can't mix and tell the difference with levels etc..

When not stoned you're focusing on everything else, when stoned you focus on 1 thing, and only that 1 thing.
I make better beats as well when stoned, it makes me more creative and open minded.

Yeah I agree, If you can focus purely on the music when high I think the level of creativity you can have is amazing. Many substantial scientific discoveries were made by scientists that smoke weed lol, I think that proves something.

I smoke but that list of famous people is ridiculously naive.

I could list you 10 alcoholics, 10 coke addicts etc. that are super wealthy or quite smart. It doesn't mean anything.

You aren't helping the stoner stereotype by posting an (obviously) satirical article stating "hey these guys might smoke 2.5 grams a week instead of a few beers and they're intelligent!!!!"

ON TOPIC: I can do both, I guess. I prefer to smoke and put something together....I have more patience and need to less take breaks when I'm high.

Time slows down when I'm stoned. My ability to focus on one particular act at a time is enhanced (if that act isn't something I'm shit at or uninterested in).

So if being high gives you the "feeling" that time is slowed down, it must mean that YOU can hear more elements within a musical composition. It could potentially result in more attention to detail and a more refined creative process.

Therefore, (if weed is something that you like to smoke, have smoked before & you are aware of the effects it has on YOU), it should enhance the creative process.

Please note I am only going by my own personal experiences and my own personal understanding of the effect marijuana has on my brain. It effects everyone differently.

Last edited:
When you get stoned you are entering a creative stage known as incubation, this is where you relax enough in order to have an epiphany and my understanding is that you still need to have had conscious (sober) thoughts to draw upon.

Those people are anomalies. The majority of stoners do nothing significant and do even less than most sober people. If marihuana is your drug of choice, so be it. But don't act as if weed will turn you into Albert Einstein.

You don't know what you're talking about, if you're ambitious and smoke weed, you'll still be ambitious. If you're listless and smoke weed, it won't make you any more listless, you'll just be high while you do nothing productive. Smoking doesn't change who you are. That's just propaganda talk.

Last edited:
I find that I can only write decent rap beats when I'm stoned, everything just sounds "clearer" and i can judge pitch better, I'm also much more creative. Does anyone else find this lol? and how could I have this level of creativity normally

You're not alone. I was reading the Wu Tang Manual and RZA said good weed is always present in Wu Tang Studio sessions. Weed is almost standard procedure in hip hop these days and drugs have always been a part of the creative process for a certain percentage of artists and musicians. At least it's only weed and not heroin, coke or PCP.

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

Those people are anomalies. The majority of stoners do nothing significant and do even less than most sober people. If marihuana is your drug of choice, so be it. But don't act as if weed will turn you into Albert Einstein.

If you're intelligent and ambitious and smoke weed, nothing changes your personal attributes. You're still ambitious and intelligent, you're just high as a kite and you may be a little hungrier than you were previously. If you're lazy unmotivated and don't smoke weed, more than likely you'll still be the that same person in the future.

Last edited:
My neighbor who's in his 60's told me that back in the 60's and 70's, warehouse laborers were encouraged to smoke weed. They were working 12 plus hour shifts and the employers and union reps noticed that the workers were most productive after they smoked.

Last edited:
Back