How to study djs

^Agreed. You can pick yourself of a midi controller for a couple hundred bucks and teach yourself pretty much everything about mixing (not scratching) by just googling and checking out dj forums. In my opinion mixing is more important than being able to scratch because no one wants to hear a DJ just baby scratching random tracks into each all night long.

I wouldn't want to use a midi controller. That not for me. I just find mixing straight up boring. It's so formalized these days, it just annoys me. The only thing that interest me these days in turntablism. I'll mix, but I'm not taking any of my equipment to gigs. Just tired of that shit.

Mixing is as boring as you make it, alot of controllers now are capable of mixing 4 channels so you can be mixing between two instrumentals, an acapella, and samples. How is that boring? I love turntablism but you gotta start with the basics if you cant match a beat, your gonna have a hard time with juggling and timed techniques. But I feel ya regular club mixing in and out with 16 bar intros, that shit gets old quick. I always try to switch it up between straight mixing, looping, scratching, large bpm transitions ect other wise I would go crazy behind the decks.

Mixing is as boring as you make it, alot of controllers now are capable of mixing 4 channels so you can be mixing between two instrumentals, an acapella, and samples. How is that boring?

I use to do that when I played house on turntables. This is the original setup back in 2001.

setup_original.jpg

I love turntablism but you gotta start with the basics if you cant match a beat, your gonna have a hard time with juggling and timed techniques.

Got that down 10 years ago. :-)

But I feel ya regular club mixing in and out with 16 bar intros, that shit gets old quick. I always try to switch it up between straight mixing, looping, scratching, large bpm transitions ect other wise I would go crazy behind the decks.

The only style of mixing/playing of music that interest me these days is what's happening at the Do Over in Los Angeles. The music, the crowd, the ambiance, etc... It's the best party in the country.

The Do-Over: What'cha Wanna Do?

If you have the equipment to do so, I would recommend finding a mix that you really like and trying to replicate it yourself. By approaching it this way, you have a point of reference. Try to make your mix sound as close to your point of reference as possible. .

this is (imo) the best approach when you first begin. this way you can easily see the techniques they use to mix songs together. after learning the different techniques you can start throwing together the songs that you wish to mix and try apply the same techniques.

If you wanna Dj, plan your mix and always experiment..which tracks are good into another track..

Back