How to Make pro psytrance bass line

psyviz

Hi i am fairly new to making psytrance. I know how to make and set the midi patterns for a psytrance bass line, but i am having a problem getting the right sound? I have tried various VST plug ins Albino,muono tau pro,Alien 303, vb1 ,Sylenth1 etc.. , Now i am using G-Sonique renegade which is good because it came with a audio sample of a psytrance bass line, but i cant seem to make one identical

I attached a sample to this post

So if someone can help me make a bass line like the sample i will appreciate it very much.

I am also trying to figuer out which oscillators to use "Sine, W.Sine, Ab.Sine, An.Saw, D.Saw, Saw HB, Saw DB,VNT Saw, An.Ramp, D.Ramp, D.Square, PWM Pulse, Triangle, Square, Noise??"

Thanks kind regards Psyviz

Last edited:
That's psy alright - I take it that is the demo from the software?

The actual waveform is not as important as the envelope of the sound and the gate length (although sines are not much good for psy bass).

You want a short envelope with 0 sustain. Sequence straight 16ths. Throw in a few 'odd' notes at the end of each couple of bars (or anywhere else - psy isn't as structured as techno for example). Play with the attack and decay of the sound until it sits right in the track. Also, try moving the notes around a TINY bit, so it's not quite a straight quantized pattern. Finally, turn the sustain up on the odd note here and there to create that 'drift' effect. And don't forget to filter!!!

Thanks VexaDJ for the fast reply. Yes the demo song is from the synth manufacture. All the information i can get is greatly appreciated :) I will give your tips a try. also when you refer to the gate length what is that? my synths don't have a gate control? and what synth do you use?

I look forward to here from you. peace

Last edited:
Sorry, that last tip should say 'release', not 'sustain' (to get a drift effect).

As far as synths go, almost any will do. I use a couple of hardware boxes mostly (a Yamaha and a Roland), but I'm also using Reason more and more - Thor is fantastic for psy bass and has a gate control. The RPG8 also has a gate length knob, which is handy.

Triangle, Trancender, Dominator and Zebra are all free VSTs that do a nice job too.

You can also use a trance gate on a sustained sound to get some interesting effects; Stormgate is a great free one. This will apply a gate to any sound!

Just sounds like arpeggiated bass to me. Is that right? Could be way off though so listening to me might not be a good idea :P

Me again

HI VexaDJ i have been working on a few bass lines and thought i would share them with you and find out what you think?? :cool:

I also have another question... I would like to know how to make some swirling psy sounds those really mystical high pitched sounds that captivate the listener. what vst synths do you recommend for psytrance sounds and sound effects?? I do no how to use automation in cubase it does help with a few sounds but the sounds don't stretch enough

All help is greatly appreciate

Last edited:
Hey Yada i dont think its arpeggiated the synth that made that bass does not have an arp. If you make psytrance please help me by giving me a few tips or tricks.. I look forward to here from you.

Here is another bass that i made, i think its a cool bass, let me know what you think?

Last edited:
Well done dude, they sound great!

The other effects sound way to dry though - swamp things like that vader effect in reverb to make them sound like they are floating around in space.

Other ear candy effects can come from anywhere. Get a Handy Recorder if you can and run around getting car horns, mechanical noises, insects, birds ANYTHING. Cut them up, change the pitch, timestretch and soak in effects. Ring Modulation can produce some wonderfully high-pitched squeals.

Use stacks of delay and reverb on everything!!! Ping pong delays and rotary speaker effects help with moving things around the heads of the (acid-tripping) hippies!

Post a full track when you've finished - I'd like to hear it

Hey VexaDJ its still going to be a while before i have a finished track. I am still learning how to make a track flow. Its hard for me to get a song going with evolving sounds, i need tips? and knowledge of music production? As i have none its all about trial and error. If you can help me understand the basic structure of how a song is molded, that would be great any tips at all about music will come in handy..My next goals are intros and build ups.

Hey VexaDJ its still going to be a while before i have a finished track. I am still learning how to make a track flow. Its hard for me to get a song going with evolving sounds, i need tips? and knowledge of music production? As i have none its all about trial and error. If you can help me understand the basic structure of how a song is molded, that would be great any tips at all about music will come in handy..My next goals are intros and build ups.

Your best bet, as far as song structure goes, is to analyse your favorite tracks and copy what they've done. You have to know the rules before you can be original so don't worry about the fact that you are 'stealing' a song structure from someone.

On a general level, psy is all about the journey - sounds come into and out of the track in a seamless, organinc fashion. There's often no 'drop' like in a house or techno track.

One old school psy technique is to have one sound that repeats for the whole track with everything else being ephemeral around it.

But yeah, copy what the pros do and THEN have a go at some original structure ideas...:cool:

Hi VexaDJ how are you? i have been working hard trying to make psytrance sounds and effects but i have only come up with a few sounds.. Not as many as i would like to have.. As for song structure, i had already tried coping songs from my favorite artists but i cant come close to recreating their style of sounds. but the timing of the tracks are nice

I have another question for you.. "Layers" can you explain how to use layers of sounds.. I don't know how its done. Do they use the same sound from 2 synths and change 1 synth with a diferent octive or frequency and create 2 identical patterns? or do they use 2 synths with different sounds and different patterns? i have been trying these ideas but have not really come close to making a complex sound

And for others that read these posts i recommend "muono tau pro and Alien 303" for psytrance basses.

Some great advice there from Vexa. Other things to remember when it comes to psy bass lines is to mess around with the velocity, I find it's best to have it something like:

K b B b K b B b K b B b K b B b

The "b" being a lower velocity and the "B" being a higher velocity, that’s a good way to get a nice rolling sound. Play with the decay and sustain depending on the sound you want, artists like Zen Mechanics will have a little more decay and sustain in their bass then say Burn In Noise.

A lot of psy producers use Cubase standard VB-1. I use Alien 303, and you can get some good sounds with that... The best way I have found is to mess around with the "Morning Psy", "Dark Psy" and "Big" presets of Alien, modify and play around with them to get your sound. Also eq as well, instead of boosting the frequencies you do want, use it to cut the frequencies you don't want.

Changing the length of the notes can help a lot too, as can adding slight distortion like Quadrafuzz. Tuning your kick and bass together helps for clarity. If you use battery you can change the tone of the kick, also try to make it so the frequencies don’t clash, so if for example your loudest bass frequency is around 60hz then maybe cutting around that frequency range on the kick so the bass comes through a little clearer and the frequencies don’t clash. I recommend getting Waves Bundle too, the Rbass plug-in is great for boosting individual bass frequencies that can get lost in the mix.

Synth wise, I would recommend using Vanguard, Albino 3, Z3ta… They are my main 3, Renegade does have some nice sounds on there too. But in the end, they all do pretty much the same thing. I would start with Vanguard, the interface is a little easier to use, you can get some wicked sounds from it, and there are also a lot of patches made for it already. Then play around with Albino 3 if Vanguard doesn’t do everything you need, that will give you a bit more in depth experience of LFO’s, Modulation Matrix and a lot more filter and effects variation. Z3ta is a brilliant programme, but is quite hard to get your head around. It has quite a complex Modulation Matrix, and a lot of other things that I am yet to understand.

I would also recommend as Vexa said, sampling lots, almost anything can be made into an interesting sound with a little creativity. Again as Vexa recommended, ping pong delays, reverbs and rotary speaker effects are superb. I highly recommend Camel Audio stuff, Camelphat and Camelspace are great little effects.

When it comes to layering sounds, having the same synth with different filters, effects, cutoff frequencies, LFO rates/depths ect, all of them can work wonders and ultimately it is all about knowing your synth and know what it is capable of doing, and how you can do what you want with it. The best way is to experiment over and over and over and over with both your synth and your effects too.

I believe what a lot of the big producers will do is play around with their synths for hours/days/weeks, making and saving sounds they like, then when it comes to making a tune they have a lot saved already… I can’t be bothered with that (I should), I like to get stuck in straight away, but save every sound and effect you make for future use. Also using 2 different sounds to make one sound (if that makes sense) works very well too.

Remember, automation is your friend; you can control almost every aspect of every VST/VSTi to constantly change and evolve the sounds you are using. This means you can keep it interesting, by say, changing the cutoff frequency of a filter as it goes, or changing a reverb style, or changing the presets you use. This is great as it means you can drastically reduce the amount of VSTi’s you are using, so instead of having 10 vanguards open, you can have 5, with the automation completely changing the sound, very useful when layering, also your CPU will thank you. FX sends are handy to use, so instead of loading every track with a FX, you can send 3 tracks to 1 reverb track and then use the automation to change the reverb to how you want it.

Remember it all takes time. I have been making psytrance for just under a year, and I am nowhere near happy with where I am at, I know people who have been producing for 3 years who are just starting to feel confident in their tunes.

The best advice I can give is to start a tune and finish it, even if it sucks, it’s the worst thing you have heard, finish it. A lot of people start a song, get a couple of minutes into it and then decide to start another because it’s not sounding right, if you do that you keep hitting the same block every time and wont get anywhere.

2 forums that are very good for psy related fun. Both have very good music production parts, and also have some very experienced producers posting on them who are normally more then happy to share their tips, techniques and answer any questions you have.

www.forum.isratrance.com
www.psymusic.co.uk

www.myspace.com/thesupremeabstract <--- This is my efforts, Tryptamine Daze is the first song I completed, I am still not at all happy with it, I think it sucks, but it is done (apart from some mixing)… I didn’t know half of the above either at the time, so I am hoping my next efforts will be a massive improvement, and essentially that is what it is about, bettering your previous effort.

Good luck and keep at it, you will get there in the end if you have the determination and patience.

I should note that I am far far far from pro and don't pretend to be amazing, these are methods that work for me and have been advised to me by others.

I also 100% agree with Vexa on structuring too. It is very hard to get an idea of song stuctures without really listening because there are so many subtle changes all the time, a lot of the time you wont even notice when casually listening. The best bet is to (as Vexa said) follow the structure of a song you really like, once you have done that with a few different songs and got a few recorded then you will start to understand how the pros do it a lot better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow THANKS Supreme Abstract for all your time and effort :)

I will use your advice wisely and as a reference. Your two songs sound great, good job man, i really like your spacey psy sounds in both your tracks. Any chance you can tell me what synth you used on "Stars & Fire Incomp" at 28 seconds and 30 seconds of your song, i would love to know how you made it or how to make it. I practice every day. I also listen to psytrance for inspiration and techniques, i learn quite a bit that way.

Thanks again.
Kind Regards Pysviz

Last edited:
The part at 28 seconds I think you are talking about (the little sloping whine sound) is Vanguard, it's from the isratrance bank, a patch called "pitched lead" which I have then edited, I can't for the life of me remember what it was I did to it though. And the other at 30 seconds, the industrial crash sounding noise is a china cymbal, time stretched with a bit of distortion and a lo-pass filter (Anteras Filter VST... Highly recomended).

I find Native Instruments Massive and FM8 are both superb for spacey soundscapes and things, but they are huge programmes and eat away CPU, as well as being very difficult to use, but I recomend using one or 2 of them for soundscapes, you can get some really dynamic stuff with them.

In both of them tracks on Mysapce, I have primarily used Vanguard, quite a bit of Z3ta and several Albino tracks too. Vanguard is a very popular one, I believe Commercial Hippies, Headroom, Burn In Noise all use it a lot (I don't want to say they definitely do, but I would say there is a fair chance)

I should have mentioned panning before too. It is worth panning almost everything at diferent ratios if you don't already, that way the sounds don't clash, also it adds to the trippyness of it all.

Try to give each sound an individual dominating frequency too, if you have 6 sounds playing at once, all using 5khz it will start to get very messy, so eqing them slightly so one is 5khz, another is 4khz, another is 5.5khz ect, that way they all have their "area" so to speak. If you do that and pan each to a different ratio you will get some great sounds in no time.

Hope all that helps =] Let me know when you have got something you are happy with, would love to hear it :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys thought i would upload a demo of a few sounds that i am working on. I made them over the past few weeks. its nothing special except for the first section which i do think is pretty good the Indian theme that i have going. The second part was put together quickly i don't really have that many psytrance sounds yet.

Well hope you enjoy
Let me know what you think, all criticism is welcome

:mad: WARNING: "NO BAD LANGUAGE ALLOWED , IT´S OFFENSIVE" :mad:

ok guys its all great to know these things.. but i like fruityloops and i wuld kinda want to know how to make a psybassline in there.. dunno where to start thats my prob

Last edited:
Hi everyone - sounds like things are progressing nicely!

@mongler - read the thread! I started with some basoc advice and supreme weighed in with some more advanced advice. It's all there.

Where to start is with a straight 16ths pattern (that'd be every step of a FL step sequencer). Go from there.

Back