How to keep vocals in key ?

dominic94

I have never tried to put vocals on any of my tracks, but sometimes I wondering, if I would sample or download sampled vocals from somewhere, how can I make it sound in key ?

Practice makes perfect. I've been singing for years: choirs, church, now performing live at shows. I can hear when something's out of tune in the same way that you can hear when a snare doesn't sound good.

Once you can hear that a recording's not in tune, you can use automated pitch correction (e.g. AutoTune) or manual editing (Melodyne, Pitcher, Flex Pitch) to get everything in the key you want.

Last edited:
Depending on the software your using you can alter the pitch of the vocal samples to fit the key of your track, or change the key of your track(transpose) to fit the vocals. Same applies to the tempo of the vocals.

If not sure about transposition, there's always online music theory websites. Gosh love internet.

or melodyne

Melodyone is an exceptional piece of software. I was just having a little bit of fun on Enrique's expense right now.

To explain the video a bit. Enrique probably had no idea he was being recorded during this live performance. The rogue engineer who was handling it was, and decided to broadcast this which is a big no-no, but none the less revealing of how a lot of the times, this is what really goes on save for any post editing.

Last edited:
problem with that vid is that we do not know if he was having a piss take as well, as it was obvious they were going to use the playback for the broadcast
- the "engineer" obviously did not care about the vocal too much as it was so badly distorted it was never meant for broadcast

just plain nastiness imnsho

problem with that vid is that we do not know if he was having a piss take as well, as it was obvious they were going to use the playback for the broadcast
- the "engineer" obviously did not care about the vocal too much as it was so badly distorted it was never meant for broadcast

just plain nastiness imnsho

As I recall, this was a case of him doing a live performance, while secretly being recorded by some guy. The mic was just there for looks, and the "engineer" recorded what ever went into it.

personally I don't really have any opinion about wheather he is a good singer or not, just that it's funny and from what I have heard from personal experience (having heard some people sound great on a record, while performing horribly live), not at all unlikely to be true

of course, as far as I know this could all just be a hoax

Last edited:
Back