How much of a song can you sample but yet still have the song be an original

MilDlrDime

Chrap-a-holic
Like title says, How much of a song can you sample but yet still have the song be an original?
Let's say "Holy Grail - Jay-Z ft. Justin Timberlake" if I took the word "holy" and made a song with that single word, could I call it my song? Not sell it, but lets say just post it on Soundcloud without copyright issues.

I'm pretty sure you can uploaded online but you may have some trouble with Soundcloud because they're pretty strict.

You can call it your song but it won't change the fact that there is a piece of musical work owned by somebody else in your song, and it will always be so if you sample, no matter how long the sample is. Not trying to disencourage you but one has to face the facts related to sampling. Still fun though.

Last edited:
even if you take one piece from a song its a sample, Ive sliced the hell outta loops and some people still recognized the sample.

if you use even let's say a millionth of a second it's illegal. you can't sample at all without clearing it, that doesn't mean you'll have issues though as long as you're careful. you could catch a lawsuit though regardless.

copyright laws are bull**** IMO they seem to only target **** they don't like (rap music) whereas a hipster like girltalk uses obvious stuff, like number one hits and as far as i know hasn't caught a case yet.

Last edited:
the principle of fair use is for research, analysis and critique - which is why for the most part labels steer clear of it as a defence regardless of what Sai'id has recently written about it

Back