How many Reason users do we have on here?

I'm not going to engage in pointless semantic debates about the meaning of "best". It's great to be a concerned citizen and all but anyone who ran off and picked up Reason on the basis of this thread alone is just going to do something pointlessly stupid anyway...

"Stabilizing" is offering substantial opinions on a product based on first-hand experience, not handwaving references to some unseen, faceless "angry mob" who apparently purchased Reason expecting it to transform their sheer desire to create into music itself and have seemingly expressed their overwhelming dissatisfaction to, well, you...and you alone.

The reason you can't see my point is because in your rush to display your superior knowledge, you stumbled and swallowed your own foot. When it was pointed out that you'd come in a little too overstrong, you could have looked at the context of the thread and accepted this...or you could have just blazed on ahead, like you did. Smug responses like your's don't encourage anything other than stupid arguments like this.

Here's an idea: why don't you decide what is the best studio setup for everyone and whenever anyone even acknowledges the existence of anything else, you can rush on it and set them straight.

Hell, we wouldn't even need the forums anymore.

PS Did you notice he said "one of the best"? Would you care to build an argument based on its market share, it's price/performance ratio and it's subsequent ranking alongside all other software now? Or do you have other innocents to defend?

tha_man said:
cubbyhouse, I strongly reccomend that you try Reason for yourself before making any assumption about it based on FP forums...

Reason is *not* multitrack software like Logic, it's a midi sequencer with internal effects and instruments. Kind of like Triton and similiar hardware workstations. In this category of software, it is one of the best!

I’ve tried Reason 2.5, the demo version. I guess that version is some restricted, but I found out that it didn’t fit my needs.

“In this category of software, it is one of the best!”

That sounds way better! We are in a general “home studio” forum with many newbie’s among the readers, so it’s therefore nice to be more specific. I have nothing against Reason, but I’m some against how it was posed in the start of this thread. That’s all!

alex23 said:
I'm not going to engage in pointless semantic debates about the meaning of "best". It's great to be a concerned citizen and all but anyone who ran off and picked up Reason on the basis of this thread alone is just going to do something pointlessly stupid anyway...

"Stabilizing" is offering substantial opinions on a product based on first-hand experience, not handwaving references to some unseen, faceless "angry mob" who apparently purchased Reason expecting it to transform their sheer desire to create into music itself and have seemingly expressed their overwhelming dissatisfaction to, well, you...and you alone.

The reason you can't see my point is because in your rush to display your superior knowledge, you stumbled and swallowed your own foot. When it was pointed out that you'd come in a little too overstrong, you could have looked at the context of the thread and accepted this...or you could have just blazed on ahead, like you did. Smug responses like your's don't encourage anything other than stupid arguments like this.

Here's an idea: why don't you decide what is the best studio setup for everyone and whenever anyone even acknowledges the existence of anything else, you can rush on it and set them straight.

Hell, we wouldn't even need the forums anymore.

PS Did you notice he said "one of the best"? Would you care to build an argument based on its market share, it's price/performance ratio and it's subsequent ranking alongside all other software now? Or do you have other innocents to defend?

I strongly believe that you got the wrong impression of me as a person and of my intention with this post of mine. I really am sorry if I offended someone, but I can’t say: “Ok, I had wrong and you where right,” just because my posts don’t fit within your ideals of communication. This is something I stand beside and believing, period! What the readers make of what I write in here has to be their opinion. I’ve explained it all about what was behind my reply to the original post of this thread.

I don’t think it’s stupid of people to buy something that many other people seem to adore and worship, especially not when we’re talking about newbie’s who haven’t the best insight and experience within studio software at the early point of their carrier. (As I pointed out early; this isn’t a forum dedicated to Reason – it’s a general forum!) For me it is important to be realistic, so my intention here is not to play know-it-all or destroy others dreams! If this was about Cubase, Logic, Cakewalk, whatever other studio software on the marked, I would still have engaged my self and corrected to the fact that no studio software is “the best out”. They are all different and the cheapest ones lack a lot. All of us should take a bit of responsibility for what we all read in here, and don’t be afraid of pointing out some realism when someone subjectively worshiping something in a general forum likes this one, where many newbie’s reading at this point, and many ‘new’ newbie’s will read in the future.

I feel that my posts in this thread are very important... if you think its rubbish (or something nearby), please do so. If you want to push down my credibility and analyze my psychological behavior, please do so! You’ll never see me change opinion about this, though! My English could lack a bit at some places (I’m from Norway) so that I may write something that’s easily to be misunderstood, but I really believe that I’ve mannish to express my self good enough in here regarding this subject.

Peace, mate! :)

Thanks for the reply, cubbyhouse. I started a couple of followups this morning to try and tone down my earlier response but got caught up at work.

The reason your response made me react was I see too often people's enthusiasm here get squashed by casual, curt remarks from others.

I still really think that this isn't the place to discuss Reason's shortcomings, there are plenty of threads here already. I saw it more as someone casually interested in who else was using their instrument of choice. There wasn't really a comparison drawn with any other software.

I even agree with much of what you said and have said it myself elsewhere...I just didn't see this as a form of advocacy... He's asking for a rough headcount of fellow users, not trying to drum up further buyers.

I'll accept that I can't convince you otherwise, but please, can I ask everyone, don't jump on enthusiasm. The snide 'FL is ****' or 'Reason sucks' responses that we seem to always get whenever anyone shows even a glimmer of excitement in their post really depress me.

If they're making outrageous accusations, then yes, by all means correct them. But if they're posting what amounts to "wow, this is cool"...let them have their fun.

Thanks for your reasonable response, though :) You might be wrong (from my perspective) but at least you're polite about it :D (And not for a second did it occur to me that English wasn't your first language, so there's no problem with your communication skills...)

Reason's way of working (rack) isn't for everyone, but for newbies, the most important thing that is it has almost everything you need preinstalled - synths, samplers, effects and simple to use sequencer. Newbies in general have no idea what are VST's and where to find them, and this is big advantage Reason has. I know it was for me.

well.. i did have reason..

until yesterday norton antivirus decided that the reason.exe file that has been sitting on my pc and being used frequently had a worm virus in it!

completely random.

i think norton ****ed up.

but it deleted my reason.exe

I use reason. It is great for use sample junkies. Its best when u use it with someone like soundforge to where u can really chop up the samples.

alex23 said:
Thanks for the reply, cubbyhouse. I started a couple of followups this morning to try and tone down my earlier response but got caught up at work.

The reason your response made me react was I see too often people's enthusiasm here get squashed by casual, curt remarks from others.

I still really think that this isn't the place to discuss Reason's shortcomings, there are plenty of threads here already. I saw it more as someone casually interested in who else was using their instrument of choice. There wasn't really a comparison drawn with any other software.

I even agree with much of what you said and have said it myself elsewhere...I just didn't see this as a form of advocacy... He's asking for a rough headcount of fellow users, not trying to drum up further buyers.

I'll accept that I can't convince you otherwise, but please, can I ask everyone, don't jump on enthusiasm. The snide 'FL is ****' or 'Reason sucks' responses that we seem to always get whenever anyone shows even a glimmer of excitement in their post really depress me.

If they're making outrageous accusations, then yes, by all means correct them. But if they're posting what amounts to "wow, this is cool"...let them have their fun.

Thanks for your reasonable response, though :) You might be wrong (from my perspective) but at least you're polite about it :D (And not for a second did it occur to me that English wasn't your first language, so there's no problem with your communication skills...)

I do see your point now, and I do understand your point of view. What we all write have different effects on the readers, and I respect every reaction and I use it as a personal guider as a future forum member! I really appreciate your posts, because they made me learn something important, and that is to be more careful against they who are really dedicated and engaged in something and want to share that with everyone. But, how ever cynical my post was, I won’t change my statement or take a step away from it – though, I could have written it some different. I stand by it and I believe that is important for those who don’t know Reason (or know studio software at generally basis) to get a more realistic view on it.

Thanks for understanding and for your compliment regarding my English! :)

10 Reasons why i love... errr... Reason
---------------------------------------

1: Infinite chaining of mixers

2: Totally stable and efficient

3: Intuitive routing

4: Even though there are limited effects; from those effects you can create any sound you want with a bit of DSP know-how.

5: Redrum

6: The ability to automate practically every variable knob, slider, button and switch.

7: Rewire

8: the sequencer... bless the sequencer

9: Bundled exporting for easily moving a song from one machine to another

10: Reason combines the fluidity of a hardware interface with the power of a hardcore software sequencer. I don't need anything else. (except for recording audio of course :D)

i use reason as well as fruity loops, i like reason because of the quality of the sounds it has and redrum but i still like and use fruity loops

I *LOVE* Reason 2.5. I use it in conjunction with Cubase SX on my powerbook and is rock solid with great sounds. Such a comprehensive soft sampler is a blessing to me as I can run samples and beats on the run. Hotness. Redrum is great, i've used drum machines all my life, so having the power to tune beats and use any sample in it is liberating!

I have never attempted to use the internal sequencer and just use it like a virtual rack, it comprises for most of my studio, has replaced my S2000 and sits with my microkorg and Jomox '909' just nicely!!

love it! i personally think that if you only have enough money for one software program, this is it.

its relatively easy to use, hard to master. and you can build your computer studio around this program with its rewire function. its also a great tool to learn audio engineering and music from. it may not give you the best results, but it'll give you enough room to tweak knobs, fiddle with buttons, and whatever you're into.

also, very few programs attempt to be an all-in-one solution. just get that, a midi keyboard and you're all set.

i use Reason. i agree with just about everything that's been said here. and sometimes agreeing strongly with cubbyhouse. i have also used Logic and the only excuse i have for not persisting with it was the fact that my old machine was far too old to be stable running it. thus Reason was used alot.

i still can't break out of the habit of using Reason to sketch out tracks, especially now that i am running 2.5 into ProTools 6.2.2 (with a DIGI-002R). the dumb thing is that i also now own an MPC2000XL and can seems to change my habits as much as i love the MPC. just a matter of settling in i guess..

but anyhow, all that rambling aside, the output from Reason is quite average and doesn't have the "realness" that i have experienced from the tracks i have made with Logic. PTools has helped a little but i still feel like my music suffers because of the "Reason Sound"...

it's a great program for budding producers sure, and a great addition to any studio, but i have to say that having multi-track software with Rewire is the best way to get good results from Reason.

but then people will always argue that it's not the gear you are using, it's the sound you make...

a long-winded reply, but basically i am saying that i sit on the fence with Reason because it has both Pro's and Con's that balance each other out. just a shame they couldn't get the output thing down better...

oh, and the MIDI sequence editng tools on Logic kills the sequencer in Reason too.. sorry.

I love Reason's sequencer. Yes Logic and others have more features, but Reason has practically everything you need, and I can work much faster with it than in any other program. But that's personal preference.

Back