How many producers here actually dj??

I dont DJ but i would really like to. Thinking about starting to get really into that pretty soon

i would really recommend it, not only will you get a far better sense of what music works and what doesnt - you also get possibly the best job ever concieved. you get paid to play good music and have fun...i would definitely pay to do what i do.

i would really recommend it, not only will you get a far better sense of what music works and what doesnt - you also get possibly the best job ever concieved. you get paid to play good music and have fun...i would definitely pay to do what i do.

4sure...Ima have to start messing with that

DJ first, producer second for me.
started to get into producing primarily to make my own loops and beats to scratch to, always loved the sampling aspect of hip hop, having a blast giving it a go for myself now! :D

as most people have mentioned, it defiantly helps being a DJ first and then getting into producing for most, i know its made it easier for me having a good understanding of the music already.

I do both. I started producing, got into djing, and although i've been focusing on production, i've been delving back into the djing and live pa thing.

Personally, i think its really helpful. you learn what works, you are more aware of what's currently out there, it gives you a chance to play out your own stuff, attract an audience for your music& build a rep. In addition, the techniques like the edits that you learn as a dj can be very helpful when putting together tracks, etc.

I've been DJing/collecting vinyl since I was 16 (1986). I started seriously producing back in 2000 even though I've been making beats with my TR-808, TR-909, RZ-1 and DR-110 drum machines since '88.

Last edited:
I started DJing at 16 and producing at 20. I think starting as a DJ helped grow the passion and musical knowledge (basic), but I have had to put a hell of a lot more work to get to where I am today - and I still have a way to go. So, I wouldnt be able to tell you how much DJing has helped my production. A bit, it's nice to play your beats out and juggle them on serato and ish though...

I've been DJing for 6 years since I was 13. I started out with 2 Vestax PDX 2000s to try to get into the scratching game (inspired by Qbert and ICP, Beat Junkies, etc). Since then, I've moved on to EDM mixing mostly house and trance. I still occasionally use my turntables and Rane TTM to scratch it up and mix some hiphop but I'm mostly on my CDJ-400s now.

DJ'n and beatmaking definately go hand and hand. I progressed from playing instruments, to dj'n, to beatmaking.

I've been producing hip hop beats for awhile now but don't own turntables or DJ. Now hip hop was born from the dj. I'm thinking of spending what money I have on some tables.

For you guys who do both, do you think djing has helped your beat making? How come?

_____

www dot youtube dot com / artiestrongmanmusic

I just recently got into beat making but I definitely think that djing especially scratching helped me allot. with scratching you learn to stick as many "scratch sounds" between the bars as rhythmically (or non) as possible, i think that later translates into more creative placements of sounds with our beats. And since we learn to play what the crowd wants we have a better understanding of what type/kinds of beats to make...I dont think its an accident that best producers were previously dj's.

I've been spinning for about 25 years (and still do), but Ive only been making hip hop beats for about the past 10. I used to do techno and house music back in the mid to late 80's using the Tr808 or Alesis drum machines and a Yamaha and/or Casio keyboard (I'll still drop a bangin house beat from time to time using that "vintage" ish...which i still have)

Now I stick to what I love... if you can get your hands on some of the "old School" instruments it's worth the investment, there aint nothing like that old school sound. (ask RZA) For those beat makers who don't or havent deejayed... a technics 1200 will be your best friend. I say technics 1200 because thats the only turntable I've ever used.

Last edited:
Back