How many producers here actually dj??

I've been producing hip hop beats for awhile now but don't own turntables or DJ. Now hip hop was born from the dj. I'm thinking of spending what money I have on some tables.

For you guys who do both, do you think djing has helped your beat making? How come?

_____

www dot youtube dot com / artiestrongmanmusic

Last edited:
I produce and I dj. In my own opinion I dont think dj'ing has helped my production skill and vise versa. On the up side, it looks good for an artist who can throw done on some decks and bang out dope beats. More ways of marketing yourself as a beatmaker and turntablist. Doing both has been a benefit is some ways.

i started off djing then moved onto producing, im only getting back into djing recently though. still have all my gear though but its ancient now.
it helped me understand rhythm, song structure and how to train your ear to hear if loops, acapellas etc are in sync or not.

I would say from dj'ing first, your less likely to be emotionally attached to what you produce. Your more inclined to say, "hey, this ****s going to clear the dance floor."

it helped me understand rhythm, song structure and how to train your ear to hear if loops, acapellas etc are in sync or not.

I agree, I started with a pair of turntables when I was young, and its a big help when sampling.

I started with decks and got into production fairly shortly afterwards...I know plenty DJ´s who only got into mixing because they were getting famous from their productions (and there is money to be made when you hit the clubs)....

I guess as long as you have the passion to do one, you can probably summon the passion to start the other?

When you reach a certain skill level as a deejay, it is a natural evolutionary step to start making beats as an extention of what you do when you mix, scratch, and cut. This is especially true when you are doing sample based beats. The deejay is the essence of true hip hop production. There has only been a few sample based producers who have not evolved from being a deejay. You can actually tell what producers were deejays first because of the way they arrange their beats. Peace be with you..................Rob Mixx

spinning breakbeats is like sampling manually. when you keep the break of the record going it helps your timing because mc's and bboys protest when the dj's timing is off

i agree that getting into producing is a natural progression for someone who uses the turntables as an instrument

i got into producing because i wanted to make beats to scratch to and i wanted to loop my favorite breaks and old school beats that were too short to scratch to

dj'ing also helps with tempo and beat matching, which are skills you need if you work with samples

I started w/ production and felt it necessary to get decks.

There are a lot of cats here that like to put in a cd and rap to it. AT SHOWS. I usually don't stay until the end of their set. Even producers will just let someone play a cd and rap over it....not really my idea of a fun live show. Plus, you can't throw a party with a cd.

Knowledge of production helped me become a dj. What I am learning now is what rocks a party. At the end of the day, it's about the live element. I don't want to sit on the sides while someone else plays my music.

Cool cool thanks for the input guys. I've been drumming for 11 years so if my rhythm is off now im ****ed haha. Still gotta get me some tables.

I started producing first, and then started dj'ing. but both go hand in hand. I write better dancefloor tracks now and I am more picky about the tracks I spin. it's all about electronic music to me, so being involved in both really makes me happy.

I do, I was a DJ before I was a producer. matter of fact when was 13 I took my sisters cello and traded it for a second hand SL 1210 lol. (She gave permission). That's dedication and hustle

Started out as a DJ then I got into producing beats. Now do both DJ/Producer. Being a DJ helped me with tempo, beat matching, and remixing.

i started as a DJ, only recently got into production when i was playing a track about a year ago and thinking how it could be better... ive startedwith remixing, now im doing origional tunes, but tbh it helps if you DJ because you will know what works and what doesnt.

Back