How many hours do you spend to make a beat?

You FINISH a beat from start to finish in 20 mins to an hour?
Id like to hear one..

I easily put 40-50+ hours into one. Thats almost a minimum. But I'm still learning too.

Last edited:
Id like to hear one..

I easily put 40-50+ hours into one. Thats almost a minimum. But I'm still learning too.
Thats quite a bit man. I usually average around four hours for core arrangement, about an hour of touchups, and an hour for mixing. Most of my beats are mixed pretty bad, but im getting better.

it depend by what you mean when saying "make a beat", cause i could sell a beat not properly mixed, the beat is done, but I haven't mixed it right ..

Thats quite a bit man. I usually average around four hours for core arrangement, about an hour of touchups, and an hour for mixing. Most of my beats are mixed pretty bad, but im getting better.

Im picky.

And 'beat' is so subjective these days. I could make a 'beat' in 20 minutes. I don't consider my work beats though, I try to make them full compositions, like a song.. To me a 'beat' is just that, a beat..its not a song. If it doesnt change rhythms and take me on a musical 'journey' I don't want anything to do with it. I listen to too many 'beats' now a days on peoples sound clouds that are honestly just BORING BORING BORING loops over and over. Adding in a hat or something to change arrangement sections just doesnt cut it for me..

Last edited:
I could easily spend way more than 100 hours into making a fully completed track.

Yah i haven't actually finished mixing and mastering a lot of my stuff either so by the time I am done 100 hours would be pretty reasonable. Everything I'm referring to has been a school project/song thats only a few minutes long. If I didnt have a deadline i could easily break 100 hours on a song. Lots of my time spent is experimenting with different things though.

Last edited:
Yah i haven't actually finished mixing and mastering a lot of my stuff either so by the time I am done 100 hours would be pretty reasonable. Everything I'm referring to has been a school project/song thats only a few minutes long. If I didnt have a deadline i could easily break 100 hours on a song. Lots of my time spent is experimenting with different things though.

Yeah, if you start counting from the day you opened up the new project, anytime that project is open I count as being worked on and 100 hours in that case is not a whole lot for me. Granted, I am also very picky and I am having a hard time getting to a point where I'm satisfied enough to just let it be. I always go back in and want to improve everything.

It's a blessing and a curse :o

Yesterday I made a dnb typical beat in 5 minutes. Kick, snare, ghost snare and hats. Oh, I think there was a crash at the beginning as well. :)

Seriously though, I noticed that as I'm acquiring more experience, my tracks tend to be more complex, so basically I take about a month (working 2 hours during week days and 8-10 hours during weekends) to finish a song.

usually takes me about 2-4 hours to make a whole track, sometimes i lay down the main idea then leave it for a while to give it a second listen and see does it still sound good to me. when im in the mood i can make tracks in a single session, my last one only took an hour but i knew what i wanted to make before i started.

Seems like we're all on the same page here. Depending on what I'm doing, I take about 15 or so hours to finish a track. I've gotten to the point that I can create melodies relatively quickly, but even still, it takes a long time.

I think it also depends on the genre a little bit. I do a lot of progressive house and the structure of a track doesn't change quite as much as maybe an electro house track will. With that said, I spend a shit ton of time on EQs, reverbs, arps, etc. Bottom line, I guess, is it takes way more than 2 hours.

took me about 2 hours for the beat in my sig
very little mixing later I go back and do loudness mastering for display purposes

Last edited:
i don't really compose a beat in 1 sitting because realistically you hear different things at different times.. i'll sit down.. come up with something.. next day add a little more add a little again the day after and the beat is usually done in 3 different sittings....

Id like to hear one..

Yeah man, the important things are: inspiration and knowledge, not "more hours" in my opinion. My best composed melodies were made in only 10 or 20 minutes, because it is an instant thing, it is coming suddenly from my brain to my keyboard and then to my speakers...

i don't really compose a beat in 1 sitting because realistically you hear different things at different times.. i'll sit down.. come up with something.. next day add a little more add a little again the day after and the beat is usually done in 3 different sittings....

Same here, i get the main idea down quickly to make sure the vibe and tone i set is what i want then add to it.

preparing simple loop isnt time-consuming(1 hour), but mixing(2-48hours), arranging(with mix), will be as soon as you need. all depends on also your creativity and how your beats to be diverse!

A few tracks Ive done in 3-4 hours.

Now I'm spending about hmm say 30-40 hrs.

Faith Fox Anthony Lowery Soundcloud.com blue shirt in case your curious. like I said some I did quick some I took time. some were even more like 4-10 hrs.

Back