how far can you get using fl studio?

9th wonder.
...doesn't probably know how to mix worth a damn.
There are people who take his stuff, mix it, and MAKE IT top of the pops/
That's why the program you make your music with is irrelevant. If you get the attention of majors, THEY will mix whatever you cook at home to something radio-listenable
if ever... but that's another quest. :D

Last edited:
i use fl studio but iv been thinking it doesn't sound full on like the
big producers. how far can you make it using fl?

a lil bit of advice my usual setup a bottle of cider!
and the understanding of how plugins work and effect our music do you understand ?

Fl has imho has the best eq going that parametric eq 2 is a beast once you get to understand its ability you feel me ?
It doesn't matter what you use software/hardware i saw one dude with a mpc and whole slew of gear and the beat was weak as f u c k,
and you must put the work in and have the hunger to be able to become better and learn more real talk,
you should look at your tools and analyze them and learn what they do and read the manual and watch tutorials on how to make your overall sound better, as its not fl its you trust me on that and if you want to have good drums and percussion you must be able to find good drum breaks there is so many on the net it is ridiculous(sp?) and again take the time to learn your effects espically eq and compression

peace and keep on learning

...doesn't probably know how to mix worth a damn.
There are people who take his stuff, mix it, and MAKE IT top of the pops/
That's why the program you make your music with is irrelevant. If you get the attention of majors, THEY will mix whatever you cook at home to something radio-listenable
if ever... but that's another quest. :D

actually 9th Wonder doesnt mix his own beats. he has someone do it for him. there are few named producers who do this. Alchemist is one of them.

but what kind of zombie would it be... a voodoo zombie or chemical??? running or lurching???

Who went and dug this thread up from the graveyard???

i use fl studio but iv been thinking it doesn't sound full on like the
big producers. how far can you make it using fl?

man I use Fl studio and there are enough artists gettin on tha radio with Fl studio beats, Itz not what you use but how you use it. when I first started I had tha same problem you did. its just learing how to mix and then master, check out some of my trackz, im not never gonna say im tha best, but I do have some quality trackz that Ive done everything exclusively in fl studio

Reading through this thread made me laugh.

For the millionth time, it's not what you use - it's how you use it.

I've been working on music since 1997 with Rebirth on the computer. Since then I've tried just about every piece of software out there and I also own several pieces of outboard gear.

My opinion: While softsynths will never be able to fully recreate the "sound" of certain hardware instruments, going fully digital makes a lot more sense unless you have a ton of money to spend. Personally, FL Studio is my favorite DAW. I never really cared for Reason because of it's GUI. Cakewalk/Sonar/Nuendo have a bunch of features that I don't need whatsoever.

FL just makes sense to me. I rarely, if ever, have issues with it. I've been using it since the early days and I'm still finding out new things that I didn't know about. In fact, I can honestly say that this program taught me more about producing than anything else. When it comes to making tunes on your computer, it's not the DAW that matters. It's the freshness (not as in NEW) of the sounds you use and your overall creativity.

In my opinion, DJ's and beatmakers are dime-a-dozen these days. A lot of people on these forums claim to be hit-makers, etc. (And a lot of you are full of sh1t...) The reason why FL Studio gets trashed a lot is because so many people have computers and internet these days, and I'd say the vast majority of FL users probably don't know much about audio, midi, production, or even how to play an instrument. This is because most of the users just snagged a bootleg from somewhere and realized they are too dumb to fully grasp how to craft a quality song/beat from beginning to end.

If I personally had to pick only one piece of audio software to use, it would definitely be FL Studio. But this is personal preference. My sound is very techno-oriented and I can see how someone might want to use something like Sonar, etc; for something more melodic. And FL is always adding new features that I never even knew I wanted. And lifetime free updates is a pretty damn nice plus too.

I used to have a MPC. Then I sold it because I realized that I could do everything a MPC can do within FL with a midi controller. It seems to me that the ratio of people that claim that hardware is better than software is directly proportional to their knowledge of production.

If you have the money and the knowledge, yeah, hardware (I'm talking analog synths here) will generally have a fatter sound. But when you talk bang-for-the-buck, FL Studio is a no-brainer. I'd recommend it to anyone, regardless of what style of music they want to make.

Reading through this thread made me laugh.

For the millionth time, it's not what you use - it's how you use it.

I've been working on music since 1997 with Rebirth on the computer. Since then I've tried just about every piece of software out there and I also own several pieces of outboard gear.

My opinion: While softsynths will never be able to fully recreate the "sound" of certain hardware instruments, going fully digital makes a lot more sense unless you have a ton of money to spend. Personally, FL Studio is my favorite DAW. I never really cared for Reason because of it's GUI. Cakewalk/Sonar/Nuendo have a bunch of features that I don't need whatsoever.

FL just makes sense to me. I rarely, if ever, have issues with it. I've been using it since the early days and I'm still finding out new things that I didn't know about. In fact, I can honestly say that this program taught me more about producing than anything else. When it comes to making tunes on your computer, it's not the DAW that matters. It's the freshness (not as in NEW) of the sounds you use and your overall creativity.

In my opinion, DJ's and beatmakers are dime-a-dozen these days. A lot of people on these forums claim to be hit-makers, etc. (And a lot of you are full of sh1t...) The reason why FL Studio gets trashed a lot is because so many people have computers and internet these days, and I'd say the vast majority of FL users probably don't know much about audio, midi, production, or even how to play an instrument. This is because most of the users just snagged a bootleg from somewhere and realized they are too dumb to fully grasp how to craft a quality song/beat from beginning to end.

If I personally had to pick only one piece of audio software to use, it would definitely be FL Studio. But this is personal preference. My sound is very techno-oriented and I can see how someone might want to use something like Sonar, etc; for something more melodic. And FL is always adding new features that I never even knew I wanted. And lifetime free updates is a pretty damn nice plus too.

I used to have a MPC. Then I sold it because I realized that I could do everything a MPC can do within FL with a midi controller. It seems to me that the ratio of people that claim that hardware is better than software is directly proportional to their knowledge of production.

If you have the money and the knowledge, yeah, hardware (I'm talking analog synths here) will generally have a fatter sound. But when you talk bang-for-the-buck, FL Studio is a no-brainer. I'd recommend it to anyone, regardless of what style of music they want to make.

amen brother!

JUST PUT YOUR BEATS UP!! there's all kind of hardware users on this site and the beats are freakin whack! If FL doesn't sound as full to you for some reason try mixing it! that's what we have engineers for! doesn't this kind of thread ever get old to you people! ****! Don't be mad cuz we spent a fraction of the cost you spent on your hardware and we're murkin your beats! it's all good, quit actin like little girls.

Wow.

Super old thread.

"Best I Ever Had", that new Mary J. single with her using auto-tune, "I Line Niggas" from 50's "War Angel" mixtape, "Kitty Kat" by G-Unit, "Errbody Scream" by Method Mad & Redman, "Cartel Gathering" by Jadakiss, etc.

Truth is, once the music is mixed, you can NEVER tell the difference.

Truth is, once the music is mixed, you can NEVER tell the difference.
depends on the equipment and if u know the sound of it too. truth be told it shouldnt matter anyway hot is hot and as long as u r mixing with software generally it will all be the same.

I'm surprised people are still arguing about this

Either you know how to make music or you don't. Stop blaming the program. A gun can't shoot itself, someone has to pull the trigger. Even then, you have to aim it right or it may or may not hit the right target. Or maybe it isn't even loaded. Or the safety is on. Who knows.

The point is you either know how to use the program or you don't, but don't blame the program because you can't make what somone else can with a cheaper setup than you

end of story

How can i mix my sound in fl to make it sound richer and fuller?

I think fl studio has alot it can do, so the sky is the limit for me. I came here to learn from people who are better than me so i can get skilled. My problem is how to mix the instruments so that i can get fuller and richer sound from fl. How can i do that. especially with drums and bass.

I wondered this very question about a year ago, when I first started using FL. So I did a quick search.
According to the Image Line website: Mike Oldfield, 9th wonder, DeadMau5, Franchize Boyz, Justin Lassen, Matthew Dear, Steve Duda, Mark Tinley, Doug Lazy, Peter Presta, Toby Emerson, Seismic Crew, Ripley+Jenson, Meg Hentges, Jeff Samuel, Tom Ellard, AudioJack, Full Scale/Infinity, all use FL Studio. That's not to mention newer artists like Uppermost or Troublegum, two of my favorites.
It seems that the program will take you to the top as long as you research how sound works, what vsts you're using and how to use them properly, and take the time to develop as an artist. I'm only now getting what I want, fully, from the music I'm making. It just took time, and the ability to learn about sound design and proper mastering.
It's not called the music "business" for kicks. Step up your understanding of your own product and you will reap the rewards. Cheers- Non Filtered

You cant go anywhere using fl. It doesnt sound as good as all of the other programs and no one respects it. You cant even make good beats in it. You need to go buy an mpc or a Triton.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sarcasm

OMG!!!!!!!!! so funny! :sing:

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Fruity users really do care about other ppl's opinion. Wow! Grow up and just work.

I just saw this thread and found it pretty crazy...how can anyone say FL Studio will never get you anywhere? People just dont realize how many successful and established producers out there use FL Studio, or used it during their rise to fame..

In hip hop, most notably, 9th Wonder.

He is the reason I continued to use and learn FL Studio back in version 3 or 4.

Soulja Boy, hate him or love him, produced and recorded his 1st album with FL Studio and ended up milkin the game for a couple years..

I hear alot of talk about Lex Luger....FL Studio user..and richer than you.

Outside of strictly hip hop, theres Mike Oldfield and Basshunter to name a couple..

Now I'm not saying these people still use FL Studio, but they all have confirmed to using it at one part of their career which got them rotation and money..

I'm willing to say the difference between them, and the people who bash FL Studio..is that they know what they're doing, and how to really use the program..

It still blows me away sometimes when people are like:
"holy shit, your mpc skills are the shit!"

and I'm like "what dude? man I use Fruity Loops.."

I'm far from the best producer out there....but I've spent years learning the program...I've spent years practicing...and I spent a long time reading everything I could get my hands on about mixing..And because of that, my beats sound good...and you would never know I use FL Studio if I hadn't told you so.

It depends on your creativity, what you know, and how you apply it. Not what you use.

Back