How do you feel about producers rapping?

I never talk bad about any one whether I like their music or not. And really no one else should either. It's okay not to like an artist's work. But unless you've sold a platinum album or so, no one has the right to talk about anyone as badly as I've seen people talked about here and other places. This(music) business is a very tough business as I'm sure you well know. You have to give credit to anyone who has been successful in this business because this is one of the most competitive fields of endeavour there is. Sure a few people got lucky, but the vast majority had to work their asses off to get to where they are. And we owe them the respect for doing that whether we like their work or not. We shouldn't talk shit about people anyway. It really shows a lack of class when we talk badly about others. Peace!

actually no. Just because someone hasn't made a platinum hit it doesn't diminish their ability to judge what is good or bad. For example if you go to a restaurant and the chef passes out this horrible food and you call it horrible. It would be stupid for the chef to come out and say you do better, because if you can't then your opinion is invalid. Your ability or lack thereof to make a better dish does not legitimize your ability to determine if something is good or not. Same with music. Just because someone lacks the ability to make a better song it doesn't take away from the fact that they can distinguish between good and bad music

Producer Rappers imo, Are Musicians. No specific label applies. Said people could be dope DJ's if they want to do that too,

On the other hand a great rapper with a terrible beat goes no were.

I can understand this though. To me, technical skill just isn't enough. Musically, things have to connect with me, otherwise you can do whatever, but I really won't care.

This is what separates the underground rappers from the kings to me.

If you can rap go for it. No one has a better vision your beat than yourself. Most of the time. I think more producers should try it.

actually no. Just because someone hasn't made a platinum hit it doesn't diminish their ability to judge what is good or bad. For example if you go to a restaurant and the chef passes out this horrible food and you call it horrible. It would be stupid for the chef to come out and say you do better, because if you can't then your opinion is invalid. Your ability or lack thereof to make a better dish does not legitimize your ability to determine if something is good or not. Same with music. Just because someone lacks the ability to make a better song it doesn't take away from the fact that they can distinguish between good and bad music

I don't think that's what he's saying.

I think what he's trying to say is that don't judge an artist's talent by the songs that he or she puts out. Of course, there's legitimately terrible musicians/chefs who don't actually know what they're doing, but for some, what you may perceive to be as a lack of talent may simply be a stylistic choice. There's producers, who, if you force them by gunpoint to make what YOU think is an amazing beat, are fully capable of doing it. They simply don't when it comes to their own work due to it not falling in line with their artistic vision.

There's a difference between a chef drenching his food in seasoning out of choice and a chef drenching his food in seasoning because he's been misinformed and misguided.

As long as they're passionate about it, more power to them. There used to be a time where they was a big difference in skills between rappers and produers rapping. Today mediocrity is the norm so in many instances these producers sound like the average rapper today.

I don't think that's what he's saying.

I think what he's trying to say is that don't judge an artist's talent by the songs that he or she puts out. Of course, there's legitimately terrible musicians/chefs who don't actually know what they're doing, but for some, what you may perceive to be as a lack of talent may simply be a stylistic choice. There's producers, who, if you force them by gunpoint to make what YOU think is an amazing beat, are fully capable of doing it. They simply don't when it comes to their own work due to it not falling in line with their artistic vision.

There's a difference between a chef drenching his food in seasoning out of choice and a chef drenching his food in seasoning because he's been misinformed and misguided.

I totally get what you're saying, but what he said was that unless you have had equal success or better then we shouldn't judge on negatively on their music. That's why I brought up the chef metaphor

Swizz is shit at both
Timbaland can rap good enough to not ruin his beats
RZA & Doom are sick
Dre doesnt write his lyrics
KRIT is cool
Eminem has made some alright beats

those i can think of right now

DJ Woofa, couldn't have said it better. Though, I wouldn't say Swizz sucks at making beats, he's got some hot joints!

IDK any good beats from him except that Limp Bizkit remix with Method Man, DMX & them. Every album hes on, his tune is the worst.

Last edited:
I agree with what you said for the most part, but a hot beat with a trash rapper isn't automatically a hit, even a hot beat with a great rapper isn't necessarily a hit either. There are a lot of factors that go in to creating a hit.

Captain Murphy/FlyLo didn't have a problem.

Then again Quasi, DOOM, and Cap. Murphy all have some sort of mask or cartoon.

Back