How Do I make a Melody

Maybe pick up an instrument that interests you more? I learned theory from the guitar and I had no problem with a keyboard or software.

---------- Post added at 04:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 AM ----------

I'd recommend learning major and minor triads. You use the first, third, and fifth note in a scale, and play them in fours, in other words a C Major triad would be:

C E G E

For a minor the third (E) is flat, so,

C Eb G Eb

Pretty sure that's in any circumstance. They're melodic, and if you can come up with a four note/chord progression and play those along with it, you're well on your way.

Start with Musical Math and Randomness | Roulette Computers and study exactly what makes music "flow". I spend a lot of time looking at the science behind it. But musicians tend to use their ears and gut feeling, but is like your little 8-ball indicator saying yes that sounds right, or no it isnt right. I'm sure Mozart relied more on his ears and instinct, and mathematical knowledge. But he was a bit of a freak as you know. Did you know that now a lot of companies use the golden ratio in the design of their logos. Even Twitter did this with their latest logo.

The golden ratio is everywhere and it applies to music too. The physical dimensions that we find beautiful relate directly to the golden ratio. And the sounds we hear that sound good direct really relate to harmonics and the golden ratio

One thing that might help you out is:

try to play around on the blues scale; it will help you recognize the keys alot and i figure it is the easiest scale to familiarize yourself with

Start with Musical Math and Randomness | Roulette Computers and study exactly what makes music "flow". I spend a lot of time looking at the science behind it. But musicians tend to use their ears and gut feeling, but is like your little 8-ball indicator saying yes that sounds right, or no it isnt right. I'm sure Mozart relied more on his ears and instinct, and mathematical knowledge. But he was a bit of a freak as you know. Did you know that now a lot of companies use the golden ratio in the design of their logos. Even Twitter did this with their latest logo.

The golden ratio is everywhere and it applies to music too. The physical dimensions that we find beautiful relate directly to the golden ratio. And the sounds we hear that sound good direct really relate to harmonics and the golden ratio

having just spent some time reading the link - to a site that is more concerned with how to cheat at roullette than music or math - and then done some follow up at other sites, I can only come to only conclusion the folks that are pushing tis stuff are engaging in high level sophistry - i.e. high level verbal cons that try to link fibonacci numbers/series/and the golden ratio to established musical concepts. The fact that instead of using one aspect only but manufacturing a set of products and ratios that can then be mapped onto the just intonation concepts - i.e. manufacturing the data to fit the theory - leaves me thinking that there is too little truly known or understood about these things beyond the obvious climax theory - at 61.8% of the way through a piece of music is the point where the most dramatic event will occur.

The conceptual basis for Fibonacci harmonics is also dubious, as it relies on mathematical constructs as the square and the square root as well as the 4th and the cube and 4th powers of the golden ratio (0.61803) and its inverse (1.61803). In musical terms these are not harmonics or even intervals, as a harmonic is a whole number multiple of the initial frequency. Where Fibonacci harmonics seem to come into play is in the prediction of stock market movements, and even here it is more about outlining a mechanism for knowing when to buy and when to sell rather than any true "harmonic" action.....

Anyone can manufacture a link between any given data set and any other data set - that the two sets are truly linked is not demonstrated by such efforts

Am I wrong? are people 'not' here to learn? While some are here to share and exchange information.

You are wrong. Read Pumpthrust's reply.

People are lazy. Information makes them scared. Put lazy and scared together. You now understand the mindset of most "producers" on this site.

People want to be musicians, but want for the beats to be made just by thinking about them. It doesn't even take a lot of work to make a simple song. But most people are too lazy to try and too scared to read the information.

I see many replies explaining theory. These guys might as well post their responses in Sanskrit. If a guy asks a simple question such "how do I make a melody", do you think he has any clue about scales, chords, or triads?

I am going to train my cat to make beats. He won't ask any questions and will follow simple directions. Cats are already making music on YouTube. Why waste time with humans? Cats don't care about theory or copyrights or publishing.

Fibonacci is not a con. Research more about string theory. You need to understand what creates matter. Did you know that many logos are created according to principles discovered by da Vinci, specifically with reference to the golden ratio?

Even the Twitter logo is designed around the golden ratio. That is because specific proportions are visually appealing, and our own bodies follow the same rules of the golden ratio. See Electrical Energy | Free Energy Research This explains some of what I mean. If you want to know why some music is more appealing than others, it is because of the harmony of the sounds. Any person familiar with the string theory of the universe will tell you that energy is like a harmony of vibrating sounds.

If you want a mathematical and scientific explanation of appealing music, this is what I'm talking about

I did not say that fibonacci was a con - I said that the information presented was a con - the links are tenuous at best and rely on a high level of twisting and stuffing to make the numbers fit. If it were truly a straight connection there would be no need to engage in solipsistic argument and fudging.

I am familiar with the basic tenets of string theory and can say that yes, the idea of oscillations as the basis of all matter is inherent in the current views of string theory. This does not mean that the harmony of the spheres is correct, merely a happy coincidence.

Please, remember that I went to the linked website and found a site designed to use mathematics to create a system to win at roulette: Pascal would be so proud that allthe work he did in logic and statistics is still being applied to gambling......

I would recommend you buy a book that teaches you the essential chords. Seeing as chords are the foundation of almost any melody. Also learn your scales, as this will help you learn which keys sound good with others. Good Luck

I'm in the same boat. Been producing for a few months. Just banging on keys. Trust me, you might want to learn music theory. I'm still being hardheaded & mr. knowitall, but I know at some point I will have to man up & learn if this is what I want to do.

An easy way would just be to get the keynotes from a song with a lot of melodies and select sections and mix it up a bit. Don't jack the thing straight up though.

But I would advise anyone serious about music production to pick up a book and at least learn the basics to music theory.

As a beginner I have found it amazingly useful to sit down and set aside good 2hr or so blocks to just learn some basic theory. Get at an instrument that gels with your method of thought and do some homework! Practice what you have learnt until not only can you DO it but you UNDERSTAND it. Doing this and keeping it seperate from your creative time will help heaps, otherwise you are trying to learn on the fly and will never get anything done because you are trying to juggle two sides of your brain in one activity! Go grab dat cheap keyboard or a guitar and read and absorb as much as you can! Chur brudda good luck!

Let the sound tell you what it wants to do, I try to hear it in my head and then reproduce it but that can be tricky for beginners..

Learning music theory has nothing to do with writing melodies for 1 very simple and inescapable reason:

You can never learn what it's like to hear something by learning music theory.

The way to write melodies is to get an instrument and play it until you find melodies you like.

Learning music theory has nothing to do with writing melodies for 1 very simple and inescapable reason:

The way to write melodies is to get an instrument and play it until you find melodies you like.
Best advice, really. Theory doesn't teach you how to create, but simply how to understand what you have already created in a larger context. Making a melody is really as simple as just humming 'til you find something that works for you-don't need to know a lick of theory for that.

i come up with melodies when im on the go somewhere of if im sitting on the bus. Then i go somewhere and record on my phone just to insert the melodi on to my music software when i come home

Back