How comes beats arent so simple nowadays?

gescajadillo

I feel nowadays every beat has to be so complex. snares roll and mutes every 4th bar. Low pass filters every 8 bars, and all that stuff.

Obie Trice - The Setup (MTV Version) - YouTube

I listen to beat like this. steady simple, easy to bump to. Nothing too crazy. What do you think? Do you think some beats aren't as simple as they use to be.? whats your point of view.

we need more snares and hi hats and switchups to keep our a.d.d. satisfied.
i wonder what the next stage of beats are gonna be, because it seems like they're already at the peak.
but thats probably what people thought back in the 90's when they heard the beats then.
also since technology improved, the new software and d.a.w.s make it easier to make complex beats.
back with whatever they were using in the 90's, it'd probably be hard to make the beats they make today.
they didnt have fl studio and all these cool vst's.
also they arent so simple because you cant expect anything to stay simple for too long.
as a matter of fact, everything gets more complex over time.
the cell phone went from a device for just receiving and making calls, to a mini computer now.
we demand MORE in society nowadays.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol i was thinking this the other day while listening to some of TDE's music. while i do agree, i also feel it lets the producer send a much more vivid image to the listener ya know?

Last edited:
It's because simplicity is an art. It always seem better to add more to a beat, but less is more. The most beautiful beats I ever heard are simple.

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry / French writer (1900 - 1944)

Like what was said before, I think they just keep adding to the beat thinking the more the better.

Why Do Producers ***** about how simple another producers beats are?

complex doesnt equal good. sometimes the most simplistic can be the best.

Like what was said before, I think they just keep adding to the beat thinking the more the better.

Most beats aren't really that complex. I mean granted it's not a loop with drums under it anymore, but still most aren't complex. examples would be HYFR, Red Nose, I'm Different, Started from the Bottom, etc...

Most beats aren't really that complex. I mean granted it's not a loop with drums under it anymore, but still most aren't complex. examples would be HYFR, Red Nose, I'm Different, Started from the Bottom, etc...

maybe he's talking older beats in general vs. modern beats...
they might not be complex, but in comparison to the older ones they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel nowadays every beat has to be so complex. snares roll and mutes every 4th bar. Low pass filters every 8 bars, and all that stuff.

I listen to beat like this. steady simple, easy to bump to. Nothing too crazy. What do you think? Do you think some beats aren't as simple as they use to be.? whats your point of view.

whats some examples of complex beats you hear nowaday??

Complex? Most beats I hear now days are nothing more than a 808 and a noise. Mustard beats are far from complex and he's all over the radio.

Ear Candy is what everybody does to indicate who made the beat. Whether is 808 mafia, mike will, metro, lex...They're idiosyncrasies are pretty much what sets them apart. Its not even so much "complex" versus whats going on in the beat from a technical standpoint. Wierd stuff that beat remakers on youtubers spend hours perfecting. I got my own style and that took me a while to really grasp but I always run into when to stop continuing to add to a beat. Idk bruh its a very complex subject - no pun intended - it has to do a lot with technology and sampling not being the forefront of modern rap beats anymore

Last edited:
Tbh given that everyone can make a beat nowadays, and you don´t need thousands of dollars´ worth of gear anymore, you can´t just churn out simple two-bar loops anymore... you´ve got to experiment, try different stuff, until you stumble upon something new. Because before maybe there were a couple of thousand people making beats, nowadays it´s probably a few hundred million worldwide. So you have to stand out somehow, and there´s no way you can do that if everyone sticks to the same kick, snare, hihat, bass, sample foundation.

Plus the reason why hiphop used to be so simple back in the day was because of the limitations of technology... expensive samplers with only a few seconds´ worth of memory. Nowadays you can have entire orchestral ensemble libraries on your Best Buy laptop or whatever, so it seems like a waste not to exploit that extra processing power.

Were older beats always that simple? Listen to everything that´s going on here:

Whosampled lists 9 samples... but I´m sure that´s not everything 911 Is a Joke - Public Enemy | WhoSampled

It's the cycle of all art.

People in the renaissance and baroque era thought art thought art had to be an almost perfect portrait or an elaborate landscape of angels and demons.

Then artists like Matisse drew childlike pictures with pretty colors. A step down in complexity but fine art nonetheless.

Eventually there was minimalism where artist put almost nothing down. And then avant garde and modern art where basically a while bunch of random shit slapped together.

Hiphop is art and it goes through its phases.

Hiphop has been stealing from EDM for years. You guys are just starting to notice. All these changes are standard in EDM tracks. Hiphop used to be

1. Make 4 bar loop
2. Repeat it 50 times

It's the cycle of all art.

People in the renaissance and baroque era thought art thought art had to be an almost perfect portrait or an elaborate landscape of angels and demons.

Then artists like Matisse drew childlike pictures with pretty colors. A step down in complexity but fine art nonetheless.

Eventually there was minimalism where artist put almost nothing down. And then avant garde and modern art where basically a while bunch of random shit slapped together.

Hiphop is art and it goes through its phases.

Solid explanation as well

Because shit changes, trends, new styles, genres are merging......Evolution

I never heard a complex hiphop track, please link me to one. Pop on the other hand, different story

Last edited:
Back