How are you promoting your music?

Ya I also use Youtube and Soundcloud. But once I get some equiptment and some oppurtunities for gigs, I think that will speed things up a little.

Promoting through the internet is good in the sense that it gets your music out there, but its a lot of work to get actual fans.
(Unless you luck out and catch the attention of someone successful in the industry.)

marketing on the internet is definitely a grind but it's exponential, once you get the ball rolling it gets a lot easier.

Soundcloud, youtube, facebook.. And just continuously keeping things alive. So check out my latest, hah

i managed to drive 100+ unique visitors to my personal site www.agbeats.com/beats.html in one day just by posting a review thread in the feed section. A lot of guests browse there. So thats one thing. My site isnt exactly ready to be promoted yet but i plan on networking on twitter, having a few tutorial type vids on youtube with links in the description, and just promoting on here and eventually other forums once i got a good catalouge going. If i got 100+ visitors just by a thread asking for feedback on a new beat/site then imagine what an active marketing with a little paid promotion could do.

stats.jpg

those are the stats from little to no marketing since the start of my site.

Last edited:
I mostly have been promoting through friends, Youtube, Facebook, Soundcloud, Soulseek, and forum communities. Communities like FP definitely help since you tend to get a lot of traffic when you promote yourself to people who can familiarize with you. Not to mention, helping others definitely gets you a few listens. A lot of people promote on things like Yahoo Answers, where they'll answer a question about music production or something, and include their link. A lot of producers also make video tutorials which drive in a lot of their traffic (Ephixa, Jordan Mencel, Forekast), which is what I might start doing. Deadmau5, who isn't exactly the god of EDM producers, utilized the forum/community technique and look where he's gotten to. And in my opinion, spamming just makes you look bad and most people avoid or even flag your spam.

But promotion is damn tough. Originally when I started producing, I thought it'd come naturally and so I was all towards production. Now, I spend 99% of my time networking and 1% of my time making music. Hopefully I'll get the ball rolling and get some consistent traffic, but until then I'm sorta stuck working my ass off.

The thing about EDM is... everyone loves to listen to it but very few actually like it. By that, I mean, EDM isn't really THAT popular in the US. Most people like dance music, not necessarily EDM. They like the poppy stuff that the producers collaborate with, like David Guetta (almost all of his songs), Afrojack (his collab with Pitbull), and Steve Aoki (his collab with Lil Jon). Yet as soon as Afrojack releases a standard dutch house track, only true EDM fans actually bother to listen to it. The regular audience only listens to it when they go to a club, bar, or event. They don't exactly look or even bother to download EDM as much as a fan or producer might. The same people who find your music average when they hear it on Soundcloud/Youtube might be going wild when they hear it in the club (with or without their inhibitions lowered).

And performing with EDM isn't quite the same as it might be with your average rock band. Finding DJ gigs can be tough if you're a nobody. As a college student in Albany, NY, I spend all my partying time trying to meet with the frat owner or whoever in order to land a gig. But a lot of the time they'd rather just put an Ipod on unless you're DJ Cire or some other big wig. And even though the city has constant EDM concerts and events, it's always with the larger names. Back when I played in a metal band, it was a lot easier to get a gig since venues were constantly looking for starters and the money that bands will pay to play. I usually try to just give my song to the "DJ" at the party (guy with an ipod) and ask him to play my tracks. I've gotten a few positive responses, but it isn't like the people dancing know, or even care, who's song it is.

Last edited:
The problem with promotion on Soundcloud per se is that most of the audience is music creators, people dying for promotion just as we. What I mean is Soundcloud is a nice place for storing shit (+sexy player that embeds beautifully on FB) but I won't bother much trying to get attention from other Soundcloud users (perhaps unless you're a DJ). My bet is it's easier to find 7 fans by talking to chicks in your favourite club than get one fan in SC community (by fan I understand anyone who'll at least remember the name of your project and at return to your site at least once to check for new stuff).

The problem with promotion on Soundcloud per se is that most of the audience is music creators, people dying for promotion just as we. What I mean is Soundcloud is a nice place for storing shit (+sexy player that embeds beautifully on FB) but I won't bother much trying to get attention from other Soundcloud users (perhaps unless you're a DJ). My bet is it's easier to find 7 fans by talking to chicks in your favourite club than get one fan in SC community (by fan I understand anyone who'll at least remember the name of your project and at return to your site at least once to check for new stuff).

Couldn't agree more. The only people who're going/able to follow you on SC are other musicians. People don't really use SC for listening purposes so it's really difficult to build a following, and most users don't follow anybody. Most people don't even know how to download off SC (which I don't blame them; the download button is pretty hidden). I just like SC for its hosting and organizational purposes. What it does with that, it does very well. As for building a community and gathering fans, it doesn't do well at all. That's why I also host my work on Youtube when I release it.

Last edited:
Yes, it would be nice to see a thread on the internet about PROMOTING your music that wasn't filled with ideas and tips for SHARING your music.

Promoting music all the time is known as a daring task as marketing for the music needs some creativity and promotional techniques.

Promoting music all the time is known as a daring task as marketing for the music needs some creativity and promotional techniques.

I have no idea what this means. I hope you are not a bot.

Back