help setting up my krk 5s w macbook

Martin1974

I just purchased a pair of KRK 5s to use w my macbook. I also purchased a audio interface(focusrite 2i2) i set everything up and even went to the settings in my macbook sounds and midi area and followed as many tutorials as I could. Ive got NO sound coming out of the speakers when do this. I believe I have doudle checked all the obvious things it could be. Its getting frustrating and its hard to call for any help as they are not looking at my set up. Thanks.

Last edited:
can you draw a picture - mud map, whatever) of your setup so that we can visualise the cables in use

i.e. what connects the interface to the speakers and how?

TRS(from interface) to XRL ( to the monitors) usb to macbook. interface lights up but I get no sound. like I said I checked around w the sound and midi preferences on my mac trying every scenario and still nothing. Feeling bummed and just wanting to return everything and stick w my budget monitors that plug straight into my mac book. :(

Did you turn the KRK's on in the back?
Install any drivers?
Check in your daw by changing the audio output to the 2i2?

Heres a lengthy guided setup. Skip to 22:07

Last edited:
My DAW is FL studio and the drivers are installed. I have not even bothered with my DAW its not even playing my music out of i tunes. Im pretty sure its gonna be something simple but I feel like I have messed with the things it could be, as in, line in line out on my mac sound preernces. Thanks for the advice.

you said you did the sounds tab but did you go to sounds -> output -> then select scarlett 2i2? I have the same set up and it takes a second for the sound to come out, but I didn't do anything special besides that. You might have the knobs on the back of the rokit's not set correctly.

I believe I have done all that. Thanks for the advice. I know its hard when you cant actually see it. I have to return to where I purchased them so hopefully they can figure it out.. Thanks again !!

how are the knobs supposed to be set? and when i select the scarlett 2i2 the master volume is all the way down in the sounds tab not sure if that helps. thats the last i can think of.

thats what i was i was thinking but i have tried everything. gone into the midi and of course started w the sounds tab. any thoughts? thanks

I think the master volume is down in the OSX sound preferences simply because it's being controlled by/from the interface instead of the OS. In other words, that setting isn't being used on the system level. It does tell you that the interface is being recognized, though...have you tried plugging headphones in the interface? Can you post a screenshot of the sound preferences window for us to see?

since your computer is picking up the interface its either your cables or the monitors that are the issue then

Well, just because it's being recognized doesn't mean it's working right. Can't rule that out at this point.

Back