Help needed for beginner

shaunartis14

Hi everybody , just starting to get into music production doing a crash course in November for 2 days to get me started . Just wondering if any one could help me .
What basic equipment would I need:
What kind of software do you think would be the best / cheapest
And what laptop do you think would be best for just getting started up ..and how much of a budget do you think would be right for this , thanks for the help

Hey Shauna, Anthony here.

Always pick things out for the sound you want to achieve. All equepiment (including VSTs handle and sound different. SO pick according to acquired knowledge after you understand what exactly your "best of the best" sound is going to be. If not just start on a DAW like ABleton. You can get pro results on just ableton aside that you do get another better synth ontop of it. For beginners Cakewalk has great built in stuff and effects I believe. Check into it or demo it later.

The stuff I like that is pro is Waves.com. But that's an expensive Pro move. If just the GTR3 for guitars if you do that then yes.

I highly recommend getting a DAW that has effects and perfroms the way you PREFER. Contrary to mainstream advice I do advocate that all DAWs handle differently. They have different analog effects but sure the recording may be the same. BUt The end result using built in effects will vary from VST to VST and from Built DAW to built in DAW effects.

For starters stick to the DAW and gather your train of thought and style.

A cheap but not easy to use synth is Synthmaster.

RApture is 99 also but is limited and masculine.

Sometimes Element by waves goes on sale and it sounds kinda girly. ANd is simple to use. Waves stuff alsways goes on sale eventually so hold off for a good deal. I do recommend Element for a pop sound.

I want to get an M Audio interface next when I switch to USB. Eveyrthing else M audio has pleased me and im hoping it does too. But a Scarlett by uhm hmm I forget seems to have heavy preamp sound but sound kinda girly. that a cheap road too. One thing I highly remioned is Mic modeler by Autotune. it does NOT sound autotuney but it can make a good dynamic mic change into many other even more expensive mics. Highly invaluable.

Last edited:
OH ps. I would recommend waiting for a great deal on deals2buy.com for a laptop. Now were getting intot he computer deal months again.

I love my Hp envy QUAD edition. I 4770 8gb ram for 600 dollars. usb 3.0 too.

PSS.

KXX FREE are really cool free synths. but make sure you find the all new versions because they are easier to use. Add sauratrion from the totally gnarly Ableton live Saturator and get gnarled out by the great expanse and pickiness of saturation you can collide with it. In other words Ableton Live has the most extensive and gnarly saturator ive seen yet and it does wonders.

Last edited:
Whats this 2 day crash course all about? And how much is it? Probably not worth it if you even considered the thought that its too expensive. Considering how much there is too learn, you won't get a whole lot done in 2 days. They will set a very brief foundation for you, nothing more then you can get from http://tweakheadz.com/posts/the-guide/ most likely. School is for sure worth it if you have the time to sit there and actually get into discussions. But you won't, not in a 2 day crash course. Like I said it will probably just be everything or LESS than what you can read here

http://tweakheadz.com/posts/the-guide/

But still, I'm curious what its about? It could be worth it.

Last edited:
Cheers guys for the help so in basics I'll need a good DAW like alberton etc a decent laptop and a synth program is that right ? Have to excuse my knowledge all this is completely new to me , here's the course details in case you wanted to look , the type of music I want to make is the hip hop/ Rnb genre ... londonamp.com/music-production-crash-course

are you a boy or girl, I should have asked. and yes you have it right, but before you go buying things you should learn about music and what you want to sound like.

My favorite synths as a guy for R n b and hip hop would probably be Synthmaster for the rnb ans hip hop style combo, it will work for bout guys and girls. ELement by waves is really maintstream popish. Zeta might also be a big contender. It just recently went off sale but is available at 99 now. You can buy presets for synth or make your own. Youic an find presets to buy at places like dancemidisamples.com producerloops.com under vst's and sound banks. Hard to search but fun to listen to. Its a great place to find out what your synth would really sound like with professional tunings (presets). Although yes you have everything you need with a synth to make any sound that synth can do. No extra tools as I thought once were needed, Now I grew up and do my own, Its really fun and rewarding,

Im a boy mate hahah , yeah i get what you mean all this is overwhelming haha . im still getting to grips what synths mean in depth and presets without overloading my brain lol . The kind of sound i want to go for is DJ Mustard - Put this thing on ya . ( wouldnt let me posta link)My knowledge is very basic right now so bare with me ! What about cubase is that any good as ableton ? All i want to do is get a simple set up going a decent DAW and the basics to get my self into it . Im starting to learn my music theory this weekend to get myself more knowledge. This is something that i want to learn and progress in .

Help needed !

Hi guys i am a complete begginer to music production . I am planning to do a Music production crash course in 2 months time . i have a budget of 1.400. Can anyone tell me the basics i may need to start myself up . Like what laptop would i need . And what DAW program . I am a complete begginer so excuse my knowledge as it is basic . And i am learning my music theory to expand my knowledge
Thanks for the help

I thought I'd seem this before lol

I use a fujitsu lifebook a series with ableton
ableton intro is good for beginners it's not to much money (I don't think) and it has basics that's good for finding your way around there's loads tutorials and things for it

Back