Help going from software to hardware....

You may go back and forth with this many times if you dont buckle down now. The MPC has this uncanny, unmatched way of allowing you to be creative very quickly. Once the creative part is done then you have to deal with the management of your projects and this is when the fun stops and you have to start getting real about things. What kind of audio interface do you have now? do you understand that if you have anything less than an 8 input interface, you will have to track your sounds from the MPC at a pace that is highly undesirable (1-2 tracks at a time). Do you plan on using any keyboards/synths? this adds another level of complexity to your tracking and management process. Also consider how you plan to manage the raw data created on the MPC and the Patches that were used in your sequence? Do you think you will like saving files in a proprietary MPC format and then having to write down the patch numbers and names for synths used on your tracks? You can buy other things such as a larger audio interface (16 inputs for example) and a Software librarian for managing your synth patches etc. Also consider the loading of your drum sounds on the MPC. its much faster to do this on Maschine or any other software than to do this on the MPC. The fastest way to get sounds into the MPC is actually to record them, but do you work this way now? Do you like having to record your drums and truncate them everytime you want to get a sound thats outside of whats stored in your MPC or your Flash Drive?

Im just bringing up valid issues that are often overlooked when people get excited about MPCs and the "workflow". This is not to say that an MPC wont be fun to use, cause it definitely will. Also consider that there are many negatives to using an MPC if you dont have a setup that facilitates great workflow for you. MPCs can cost you alot more money when you begin to buy the complimentary gear to go with it.

I don't have any latency on my software setup -- have you even though of upgrading your computer and its peripherals instead?!

Software is, by its very nature, flexible -- there are 1000's of different types of software configurations for music. Maybe you just found out that you don't particularly like the Maschine, not that you need to change to an all-hardware setup. Even die-hard hardware fans are switching to at least a hybrid between hardware and software these days.

That's the problem. To many options with software. The MPC is prefect for beat production.

It's to the point and song mode is 2ndtoNone. O...did I mention the sequence on the 2000XL.

Don't get me started...I sold mine last year. Big mistake.

Last edited:
Not necessarily indecisive I think as just wants to do one thing good. But I think a question I should ask especially to all the MPC owners is will switching to the MP really be much of a difference compared to the Maschine? What else besides the swing(If that is really even a standout feature in the 2000 IDK) would make the switch worth it?

What exactly do you mean? Like in FL I would have to open that up then plug in the MP(with SCSI? I don't understand what it is though if you could explain) then open up edison and hit record in edison then play on the MP?

Thanks for taking the time to help me, I really appreciate it. And I'm not going to hardware yet, just considering my options. Thanks
Im not sure how I can make it any more clear. This isn't a drag and drop thing this is recording into the computer thats how hardware works. U record it with 1/4" audio cables.

Not necessarily indecisive I think as just wants to do one thing good. But I think a question I should ask especially to all the MPC owners is will switching to the MP really be much of a difference compared to the Maschine? What else besides the swing(If that is really even a standout feature in the 2000 IDK) would make the switch worth it?
the value of the switch is very personal but I think everything Focused said was on point. Honestly even though I think Salem beats has a one sided pov I think hes talking you into the right direction. Pick a program learn it and get down. Daws are way more flexible than any mpc.

X, your MPC still isn't working? I thought you identified the problem as just a blown fuse...do you know which part it is that needs to be replaced or you still unsure?

I never Id'd anything a lot of people assumed it was a blown fuse. Ive tried several things. I thought it was the power switch and the power supply then I really started thinking these things were working fine before I changed the ram and most of the time when things change its the last thing you changed thats only effected so Im not thinking is the main board which only costs $150 used but it does come with upgraded memory at least. I am going to get a multimeter tomorrow and check it out before I drop that kinda cash on one but Im not sure what it is exactly yet

I dropped hardware for software and while I miss the MPC I can never see myself really using one again due to the power and flexability of software.

I dropped hardware for software and while I miss the MPC I can never see myself really using one again due to the power and flexability of software.
I dont understand why cats are still buying hardware romplers. Synths I get it, Samplers I get it. Workstations and Romplers I don't understand being that you can get a software workstation for that variety of sounds. If there is a specific sound u want out of the rompler get the rack unless u plan to use the keyboard standalone. Hardware samplers are very direct with what they do. Software samplers are a bit of a run around sample into your daw edit sample export load to vst thats a hassle vs something like a mpc where u record the sound assign it and then go to the edit screen dumb easy and a lot faster

I dont understand why cats are still buying hardware romplers. Synths I get it, Samplers I get it. Workstations and Romplers I don't understand being that you can get a software workstation for that variety of sounds. If there is a specific sound u want out of the rompler get the rack unless u plan to use the keyboard standalone. Hardware samplers are very direct with what they do. Software samplers are a bit of a run around sample into your daw edit sample export load to vst thats a hassle vs something like a mpc where u record the sound assign it and then go to the edit screen dumb easy and a lot faster

On another note, people get into MPCs these days for the same reason many people buy a Mac -- they like the image and they think it will make them look cool and credible.

There's a sort of vintage vibe to the idea of having an MPC, similar to the vibe from having a classic car.

People will try to justify their reasoning to themselves (and others) using logic (not the DAW), but really, it's an emotional decision.

Last edited:
On another note, people get into MPCs these days for the same reason many people buy a Mac -- they like the image and they think it will make them look cool and credible.

There's a sort of vintage vibe to the idea of having an MPC, similar to the vibe from having a classic car.

People will try to justify their reasoning to themselves (and others) using logic (not the DAW), but really, it's an emotional decision.
I highly disagree. The mpc is the best sequencer I have ever used both hardware and software wise. I love my mpc and bought it a couple months ago. I think some people still believe hardware is better but I prefer the workflow on a hardware sampler vs a software one regardless of capabilities in software which is kind of why I said what I said. THe reason I don't get why to buy a rompler is because its like having the same sounds over and over again. Strings Pianos Flutes Bass ect. Its going to slightly vary from machine to machine but why not save some cash and get equal calliber sounds in the software realm where there are a ton of them with the same sound quality

The MPC:Mac correlation is totally off base. In regards to sequencing, the MPC interface gives musicians a chance to really begin to develop a workflow without thinking about parameters and menus. Its not a hardware vs software thing totally, its more an interface vs interface situation. MPCs give you a lot of one to one hardware to software control. There are buttons and function buttons for EVERY single action on the MPC. This is not the case on a DAW, no matter how many operations you assign to hot keys, no matter what type of DAW controller you buy, you will always be limited to what the manufacturer of your DAW qualifies as an assignable function. There is a much different workflow and synergy that is created when using an MPC to sample and sequence.

Buying a Rompler today is highly illogical when you consider the cost and the limitation of sound and expandability. Synthesizers are a different beast altogether... Anyhow I dont recommend buying hardware unless you are financially prepared to deal with the additional hardware needed to support your MPC. If this part does not matter for you then I would just get it and not worry about what people say. The real question is, are you working on any projects or is this just for your personal enjoyment? If the latter is true, dont get too caught up in people's recommendations, just buy at a low price used and sell if you dont like it.

I highly disagree. The mpc is the best sequencer I have ever used both hardware and software wise. I love my mpc and bought it a couple months ago. I think some people still believe hardware is better but I prefer the workflow on a hardware sampler vs a software one regardless of capabilities in software which is kind of why I said what I said. THe reason I don't get why to buy a rompler is because its like having the same sounds over and over again. Strings Pianos Flutes Bass ect. Its going to slightly vary from machine to machine but why not save some cash and get equal calliber sounds in the software realm where there are a ton of them with the same sound quality

The ones who don't do it for some sort of "credibility" do it for the same reason that they purchased the other hardware they own -- they don't want to mess with a computer.

The ones who don't do it for some sort of "credibility" do it for the same reason that they purchased the other hardware they own -- they don't want to mess with a computer.
and then theres the people who sequence their vsts on the mpc. You made a lot of irrational untrue blanket statements here about people when there are a lot of different things going on with why someone bought this or that piece of gear.

and then theres the people who sequence their vsts on the mpc. You made a lot of irrational untrue blanket statements here about people when there are a lot of different things going on with why someone bought this or that piece of gear.

You asked the question: "Why do people still buy hardware ROMplers?"

There are only 2 options:

- Credibility / belief that the hardware route is simply "better" (hardware as religion)

- Lack of desire to mess with a computer / not a "computer person" (software as culprit)

People obviously still buy romplers for immediacy of sound discovery, face it, its easier to scroll through sounds that dont have to take anytime to load, especially when you only have 512-1024 sounds to get through. Your average software Workstation is giving you 1500-2000 sounds with no interface to get through these quickly and loading time between each sound.

Back