Help going from software to hardware....

Nicro

Whats up everyone? So currently I have a Maschine and I love it but I want to go to straight hardware. After having problems with software related stuff and general frustration with using software to make beats with I want to go to an MPC. I would want a 3000 if I could find one I can afford but I'm most likely gonna cop a 2000XL. So here is a few questions I got for yall:

1. So I can make the beat and all with the MPC do everything I need, but then how do I mix/master it and all that?

2.What would I need along with the MP? Like I got the MP(I think I can plug my turntable directly into right?) Then I think you need a DJ mixer to run monitors and headphones out of?

Since I'm trying to drop software I'll be having a Maschine and a Firestudio Mobile for sale, both VERY new (especially the firestudio), after I get my questions answered and everything figured out. Thanks guys

What u trying to accomplish with a mpc ? There's many
Alternatives. roland sp samplers
Asr x
Rs7000
List goes on

Obviously I'll have problems but with software I think everything is made overly complicated with a whole bunch of extra stuff you don't need. I'm gonna be using the MP to sample(I'm a sampler) and make my beats.

Theres lots of stuff out there but hardware can add a lot of frusteration to the mix as well. For instance I bought a mpc 2000 in december upgraded the ram 12 days after I bought it and now I cant get it to power on for anything and these repair shops want crazy money to get it fixed. The best place I found is in cali for 35 an hour which isnt bad but Id have to pay shipping for it which is gonna be like an extra 40 bucks not to mention its going to take a couple hours for them to do a diagnosises and then buy the part which is probably expensive then install it. Ive tried fixing it myself but i keep buying the wrong parts makes me wish I had never gone hardware sometimes. Luckily I own 3 hardware samplers so I am not lost. In this day and age hardware can be a pita. And keep your interface youll likely still be using software to mix your music because tape is expensive

Thanks for the advice X. And ya I just realized this morning that I would have to keep the interface. But! Here is the low down on my main reason for wanting to switch to an MP: Basically everything I'm doing on my Maschine can be done on an MP(even some extra like timestrech) only without the latency, without having to download new updates and all that, and without having to use my computer(which isn't the best for music). It just seems like it could make my world a little nicer.

More answers to my questions and advice in general welcome! Thanks

1. You'll need to track out your beat into something. Most people naturally use a daw for tracking out and mixing the beat.

2. You can plug in your turntable with a pair of mono 1/4" jack cables. So you'll need rca to 1/4" jack cables to hook up your turntable from your dj-mixer or preamp to the mpc.

3. You can plug in the headphones to your mpc. No need to tun it trhough a mixer for that. You run mono 1/4" jack cables from the Stereo Output of the mpc to you mixer or interface, where you plug in your monitors. If you go with the 2000XL, look for one with mcd, so you'll be able to work with sd cards.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice X. And ya I just realized this morning that I would have to keep the interface. But! Here is the low down on my main reason for wanting to switch to an MP: Basically everything I'm doing on my Maschine can be done on an MP(even some extra like timestrech) only without the latency, without having to download new updates and all that, and without having to use my computer(which isn't the best for music). It just seems like it could make my world a little nicer.

I don't have any latency on my software setup -- have you even though of upgrading your computer and its peripherals instead?!

Software is, by its very nature, flexible -- there are 1000's of different types of software configurations for music. Maybe you just found out that you don't particularly like the Maschine, not that you need to change to an all-hardware setup. Even die-hard hardware fans are switching to at least a hybrid between hardware and software these days.

Last edited:
Thanks Jyri. And I love my maschine I just don't like that I have to attach it to my computer. I rather make the beats computer free, then mix and all on my comp. And like I said an MP will do a little more for me. I'll still be using software for some stuff of course but I dont know.... an MP just seems appealing.

I see what you are getting at but to be honest I agree wtih Salem beats. For the price of the MPC you could buy a kick ass barebones machine and just bring over your hard drive buy some new ram and its a new machine that will offer you more power and will actually work faster and better than any mpc would. The Mpc is a great machine. As stated before I own a 2000 non xl but the pc really does blow it out the water if u have a strong one. In this day and age I don't think buying an mpc is the way to go for your reasons

Ya I see what your saying but I use a laptop and am strapped for cash. If I get and MP it would be from the money I make from sellin my Maschine. And not having to look at a computer screen would be nice(Already moved in that direction with the Maschine but still have to use the comp for stuff). I'm not sure though still thinking about what I should

then do what u gotta do homey. keep in mind though you are eventually going to have to mix this music and track it somewhere. You are never going to totally rid yourself of a computer and that computer will have to be just as strong to run some of these plugs

Ya speaking of that how exactly do you track out an MPC? I track out my Maschine to FL and if I get an MP I would still do that.

u have to record the parts 1 by 1 to ur pc. if u have 8 inputs on ur interface adn the 8 out expansion on your mpc its easier but you would need a stronger pc just to track it

not having to look at a computer screen would be nice(Already moved in that direction with the Maschine but still have to use the comp for stuff).

You can already achieve this by... not looking at the computer screen.

Just admit that you want an MPC for the credibility and endorsements and we will all understand. I understand. Hell, I'm considering putting an MPC2000XL in my new logo, and I don't even own one.

Last edited:
You can already achieve this by... not looking at the computer screen.

Just admit that you want an MPC for the credibility and endorsements and we will all understand. I understand. Hell, I'm considering putting an MPC2000XL in my new logo, and I don't even own one.

Meh. MPC's are cool and I do like the "classicness" of them....but thats not the reason I'm switching. I was originally planning on getting an MP when I got the chance to cop the Maschine for cheap on Ebay brand new.

And you do have to look at the computer screen when using the Maschine, for some stuff.(Not a whole lot, I think I look at it more just because it distracts me.) Haha at wanting to put the MPC on your logo

u have to record the parts 1 by 1 to ur pc. if u have 8 inputs on ur interface adn the 8 out expansion on your mpc its easier but you would need a stronger pc just to track it

What exactly do you mean? Like in FL I would have to open that up then plug in the MP(with SCSI? I don't understand what it is though if you could explain) then open up edison and hit record in edison then play on the MP?

Thanks for taking the time to help me, I really appreciate it. And I'm not going to hardware yet, just considering my options. Thanks

Haha at wanting to put the MPC on your logo

A lot of rappers and singers who know absolutely nothing about production see an MPC and automatically think "Hip Hop Beats". It's iconic, so it's a quick way to get your point across. Seems contrived, but I'm not going to throw away potential business for pride issues -- we'll see whether I can integrate it in a clean and professional way into a logo with some size/shape versatility... wonder whether I would end up running into rights issues.

Last edited:
When I track my beats out of the mpc, I record them on the mpc as wavs, save them to the CF card, and then use the USB interface to drag them to the computer. I tried recording directly in, but my set up has too much noise. Either way it goes, you may never get away from using a d'puter in your work flow. I track my joints and add extra instruments over them....then what...i SEND them to people...via Email....aHAAAA....you need a d'puter for that cuzzo.

shameless plug: check out 'Strangers' and 'Luv' them shyts hot... MPC1000 work.

@ salem
Oh I understand it, it just sounds kinda funny to hear(read? Hear in my head :))

I don't think 2000xl have CF cards or anything that allows for USB. I maybe wrong though

Last edited:
Back