Help going from software to hardware....

People obviously still buy romplers for immediacy of sound discovery, face it, its easier to scroll through sounds that dont have to take anytime to load, especially when you only have 512-1024 sounds to get through. Your average software Workstation is giving you 1500-2000 sounds with no interface to get through these quickly and loading time between each sound.
with a fast enough computer and the right midi controller couldnt ou scroll through sounds quickly as well as have minimum load times maybe even unnoticeable. I know you can scroll patches in reason with a controller ive done so with my bcf 2000 but to open new folders in refills i always had to use the mouse.

You asked the question: "Why do people still buy hardware ROMplers?"

There are only 2 options:

- Credibility / belief that the hardware route is simply "better" (hardware as religion)

- Lack of desire to mess with a computer / not a "computer person" (software as culprit)
Thats not true at all. I myself own hardware romplers (I had a Roland XP 30 which I sold in December I own a Korg Trinity rack and a Korg M3R) I did not buy any of those for "credibility" or the belief that hardware is better and I still use them with the computer. My reasoning was because I like the sounds on the boards and wanted something that would take some of the strain off my pc when I bought them and I also like vintage machines. However if you are just looking for a rompler for basic piano string keys ect I dont get the point which was what I was saying. Setups and Gear are too personal to only have 2 options. With your way of thinking it sounds like everyone should just get software because its "the future" its "whats hot now" or because "its what everyone is using now" or my favorite "because its more powerful and a lot cheaper" whatever the reasoning is I am curious what makes most people buy hardware romplers in todays market.

with a fast enough computer and the right midi controller couldnt ou scroll through sounds quickly as well as have minimum load times maybe even unnoticeable. I know you can scroll patches in reason with a controller ive done so with my bcf 2000 but to open new folders in refills i always had to use the mouse.

I have a KORE 2 Controller+Software to allow me to scroll through my VST presets, but once you start dealing with large sample libraries like those found in Kontakt 4, it does not matter how fast your CPU is, you will have to wait for some of these patches to load, and over the course of say 70 string patches, this loses its immediacy factor. As opposed to on my Kurzweil I can pull up a patch instantaneously no matter what type of sound it is.

Wow I didn't mean for this to be a HardwareVs. Software thread! Just trying to find what would work for me. I think everyone can agree that people use different approaches because it is what works for them best. And you being at your best should be the whole point right? But anyway, probably not gonna get a MP yet unless something happens where I just wanna switch right away. For now I think I'll keep workin on my Maschine, get other equipment I NEED and see what happens from there.

once you start dealing with large sample libraries like those found in Kontakt 4, it does not matter how fast your CPU is, you will have to wait for some of these patches to load

Right. Kontakt 4 libraries tend to be very RAM/HD expensive with long load times.

Nexus, Hypersonic, and Purity (amongst others) are a lot more akin to the hardware ROMpler.

I have a KORE 2 Controller+Software
Is that what that pad joint was in your vid last night? I thought you had bought battery thinking to myself FM knows good and well hes going to buy another 2500 he might as well just keep the one he has and put it in the closet when hes bored lol

Right. Kontakt 4 libraries tend to be very RAM/HD expensive with long load times.

Nexus, Hypersonic, and Purity (amongst others) are a lot more akin to the hardware ROMpler.
And with that thought I say WOOOOO glad the only software intsrument i really deal with is Reason

lots of good advice being given out int this thread. i hope that the OP takes the time to think about what switching over to hardware would actually entail.

i switched from hardware to software and am now almost completely software. in this day and age i personally would not advise a person to buy a hardware sampler or rompler, or even a hardware synth unless it was really really reallly really impressing you.

i mean software is just so much more versatile in comparison.

BUT some people do just prefer working with hardware. at the end of the day it's about making music. not using the tool that has the most features, and if an MPC has all the features you need to make music and you feel comfortable using it then there's no problem.

the only problem is see is what salem beats pointed out, a lot of kids on software who think they are "upgrading" from flstudio or reason by getting an mpc and a rompler. compared to software, hardware is frustrating as hell to use and seems so archaic now.

although i wouldn't dismiss hardware completely, like i said some people prefer it and will invariably work better on hardware. but if you're doing music nowadays you are going to be using a computer at some point.

Back